Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by incarnati0n View Post
    Can anyone explain to me how it is Ben reilly who is behind all this? How could he be back to life if he was who started all this? He can't bring himself back to life if he was dead in the first place.

Also we still need to wait to see what truly is Bens purpose in all this. People are quickly pointing out that he is a villain and don't like it but if anything, he has done no wrong to any people and the only problem with all this is the carrion virus that he himself is trying to resolve.
    The realistic answer here would be that during Spider-Man 75, there was most likely a Miles Warren clone or even the real Miles Warren down in the street watching Peter and Norman fight. He saw Ben's sacrifice and probably ran over and Ben and told the crowd something like "no worries. I am a doctor." He probably quickly took a sample of Ben's DNA and ran off. Ben is dying so he can't tell someone jacked his DNA. Peter comes down and Ben dies. Then Ben is brought back by Jackal. There is zero way jackal was hanging around watching peter spread ashes because technically we never saw that epilogue unless we bought the TPB or the recent clone epics. The crowd around ben is the best answer for how Warren could have been able to clone him any point after his death

Oh. My. God.

I hope to God that this isn't a swerve, and that Ben doesn't die again, assuming it's actually him. Sadly, though, I think this is yet another fake-out.
    Last edited by Scarlet Spider-Man; 12-07-2016 at 09:05 AM.

Well I guess it's fair to admit I was dead wrong about the Jackal. Heh. I tip my hat to everyone who had it right.

spoilers:
    Hate to point it out but this guy with Peter's face is another Ben Reilly clone at best, if not a body-swapped Warren or Spidercide. I'm guessing his "resurrection" will be explained in the next ASM? Along with the fact Peter was too dense to recognize his own features/voice/build or at least realize they were not Warren's? Also Kaine unmasking in front of the Horizon team was rather careless.
    The reveal, "Ben"'s motivations and the editorial page scream "monkey paw" about all this. I hope Ben, if it's even him after all, survives the arc so someone else can get a handle on him and steer him in the right direction.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Webhead; 12-07-2016 at 09:42 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    The realistic answer here would be that during Spider-Man 75, there was most likely a Miles Warren clone or even the real Miles Warren down in the street watching Peter and Norman fight. He saw Ben's sacrifice and probably ran over and Ben and told the crowd something like "no worries. I am a doctor." He probably quickly took a sample of Ben's DNA and ran off. Ben is dying so he can't tell someone jacked his DNA. Peter comes down and Ben dies. Then Ben is brought back by Jackal. There is zero way jackal was hanging around watching peter spread ashes because technically we never saw that epilogue unless we bought the TPB or the recent clone epics. The crowd around ben is the best answer for how Warren could have been able to clone him any point after his death
    Sure, But then Ben is really not the one calling the shots and is right now being manipulated by the jackal in some way, because otherwise this doesn't really make much sense. Can anyone tell me with 100% centainty that this isn't actually just miles in Bens body pretending to be Ben so that he could get Peter to join him?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Well I guess it's fair to admit I was dead wrong about the Jackal. Heh. I tip my hat to everyone who had it right.

spoilers:
    Hate to point it out but this guy with Peter's face is another Ben Reilly clone at best, if not a body-swapped Warren or Spidercide. I'm guessing his "resurrection" will be explained in the next ASM? Along with the fact Peter was too dense to recognize his own features/voice/build or at least realize they were not Warren's? Also Kaine unmasking in front of the Horizon team was rather careless.
    The reveal, "Ben"'s motivations and the editorial page scream "monkey paw" about all this. I hope Ben, if it's even him after all, survives the arc so someone else can get a handle on him and steer him in the right direction.
    end of spoilers
    The Kaine thing is bothering me. I understand the OMIT spell was for Peter. But technically, wouldn't Kaine showing his face have the same affect? And if Modell doesn't realize by now that Peter is Spider-Man thanks to Kaine, there is no way Max is as smart as he says.

BANNED

My issue now is what happens to Ben once this is over, we have 3 books with Spiderman in the title so no way he gets his own book and Kaine has no book right now.

If he gets out his old suit and takes over amazing then I would be very happy but I feel like Slott loves to piss people off so death is most likely.

Maybe a new Scarlet spider book? Spider men book?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    My issue now is what happens to Ben once this is over, we have 3 books with Spiderman in the title so no way he gets his own book and Kaine has no book right now.

If he gets out his old suit and takes over amazing then I would be very happy but I feel like Slott loves to piss people off so death is most likely.

Maybe a new Scarlet spider book? Spider men book?
    in a perfect world, we would get a kaine and ben book. They deserve it and it would work well for them both. but this is marvel. Both are going to die.

I see two likely outcomes, neither too bright for clone fans:
    -Both Ben-2 and Kaine die and Slott gets to wrap up the surviving elements of the Clone Saga ("break the toys");
    -Ben lives and Kaine dies, in a reversal of the current SQ ("break some toys, keep another").
    Gwen possibly stays around without mentioning the clone baggage, ala Ultimate Gwen.

BANNED

Alright, I was very reluctant to believe that this would be the Jackal's identity, mostly because I thought that would be too stupid for this run. I guess even I had given too much credit. Ugh.

The more I think about it, the more I've convinced that this isn't actually Ben. The Jackal has not sounded anything like Ben throughout this entire story, including this issue. Plus, how would Peter teaming up with Ben bring about armageddon? And wasn't the Jackal Miles Warren on the alternate Earth Kaine was on? Something just doesn't feel right to me.

I'll say this much: If this is yet another fake-out, or if Ben dies again, I'm done with Marvel. I've been waiting for Ben to return for 20 years and I'm tired of being jerked around with fake-outs. It's sad that I've become so jaded with how Ben has been treated by Marvel over the years that I can't even fully enjoy this moment, because I'm not sure it's actually him, or that he'll stick around if it is.
    Last edited by Scarlet Spider-Man; 12-07-2016 at 10:39 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I've convinced that this isn't actually Ben. The Jackal has not sounded anything like Ben throughout this entire story, including this issue. Plus, how would Peter teaming up with Ben bring about armageddon? And wasn't the Jackal Miles Warren on the alternate Earth Kaine was on? Something just doesn't feel right to me.

I'll say this much: If this is yet another fake-out, or if Ben dies again, I'm done with Marvel. I've been waiting for Ben to return for 20 years and I'm tired of being jerked around with fake-outs. It's sad that I've become so jaded with how Ben has been treated by Marvel over the years that I can't even fully enjoy this moment, because I'm not sure it's actually him, or that he'll stick around if it is.
    I'm the same, it should feel great after 20 years but with slott you just know he will kill them all off so people can't ask anymore.

He's arrogant and spiteful towards older fans.

We all know he won't let Uncle ben return so another shit plot, if it had been baby may on offer then you'd have a plot.

If Ben becomes the new Scarlet spider over Kaine I could take that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    I'm the same, it should feel great after 20 years but with slott you just know he will kill them all off so people can't ask anymore.
    It's a monkey's paw. He can claim "See, I did what you asked, and brought Ben back!", but because he didn't promise to make him a hero, that means he can make Ben into a villain, because apparently like Felicia, making someone the villain is somehow supposedly an inherently interesting idea all on its own. You know, even though how they are is a villain is what makes them interesting. Just because they're different than they were before doesn't automatically guarantee that the difference will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    ...Course, with Slott's record of ruining characters he's not a fan of (Hey Felicia), I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the Jackal did turn out to be Ben. Though there wouldn't be any redemption arc, he'd just fall into the one-note villain category and that'd be it as far as character development went.

Course, I ain't actually reading any of the story so I'm only commenting as an outside observer and as a Ben Reilly fan who'll be disappointed but not remotely shocked if things do turn out that way.
    Called it.

Actually, that's not quite true. Someone else called it in a different thread, a couple of weeks ago. I just called my lack of surprise at Mr Slott's predictable writing. And yep. Here am I. Being not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Called it.

Actually, that's not quite true. Someone else called it in a different thread, a couple of weeks ago. I just called my lack of surprise at Mr Slott's predictable writing. And yep. Here am I. Being not surprised.
    You still sound a little surprised. Not much, but a little. A tiny little bit.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

There would be one easy way for Peter to tell if this is really Ben: Ask him what his dying words were. If this is actually someone like Spidercide or a body-swapped Miles Warren, then he wouldn't know the answer.