Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Default Superman #12 (spoilers)

So I'm pretty sure Kroog is a new character. Disappointed if we lose a new supporting character for the Hamilton setting, though.

I think the next issue is gonna have quite a bit of story to cover, since this went by faster than the first part of Dinosaur Island and has to lead up to the Multiplicity story.

I cracked up when Lois hit him with the bike. This issue was really enjoyable for what it was.

That farmer guy was acting strange, though.

I laughed a few times, and for sure one of my favorite issues. Art was wonderful as well. I don't know too much about Frankenstein agent of shade, but just looking at this makes me want to go back and read it. Visually fantastic.

Also liked the Lois Lane bit, and it's gonna hopefully turn out that she's a good alien and not a killer. Could make for some interesting stories...Or maybe Frank runs her threw, but I'm really looking forward to the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    That farmer guy was acting strange, though.
    That awkward moment when Clark flies up to you and you realize he's supposed to be Superman.

One thing I thought about with this issue was the "we have no time" cliche were it turns into a fight about twice as long as any conversation. It wasn't subverted, but subdued here given that Lois provided a big, unforeseen complication and the fact that even as is, this issue (ending with accomplishment of the mission) probably took place in the span of 8 minutes.

Decent issue overall, it felt a bit to short for my taste, but it was funny and well drawn. Also as a fan of Frank and his solo at the beggining of the New 52, i pleased with his charatherization. I hope than the next one is better thought.

I wanted more, but I love Frank, especially when it's Mahnke's Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Decent issue overall, it felt a bit to short for my taste, but it was funny and well drawn. Also as a fan of Frank and his solo at the beggining of the New 52, i pleased with his charatherization. I hope than the next one is better thought.
    I thought Doug Mahnke storytelling chops were top notch and the art really enhanced the funny moments. No doubt Superman has DC's top art lineup. I guess the story was quick but some issues call for more conversation, I think with this they were just going for joy.

I think you could make a much better argument for last weeks annual being a giant fight scene more than this issue. I liked seeing Lois assert herself into the work force, and come on try and tell me you didn't love Hellbat Glove.

I thought Doug Mahnke storytelling chops were top notch and the art really enhanced the funny moments. No doubt Superman has DC's top art lineup. I guess the story was quick but some issues call for more conversation, I think with this they were just going for joy.

I think you could make a much better argument for last weeks annual being a giant fight scene more than this issue. I liked seeing Lois assert herself into the work force, and come on try and tell me you didn't love Hellbat Glove.
    Oh, i love Mahnke's art, the way than he draw Doomsday vs Superman in the Rebirth issue, was just fantastic and the 2 issue arc in Dinasour Island was cool too. Just that a part me was waiting a bit more from this issue.
    And yes Lois using the Hellbat Glove was awesome.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

This issue was really fun! This actually gave me a feeling with Superman comics that I haven't had in like forever: this felt like a cartoon. I mean this in the best way. I loved that it's technically a Lois issue, and that Tomasi and Gleason call back to more of their run (their own little universe). Their characterization of Clark is spot on as ever, and Frank is really fun.

The ending actually took me by surprise.

I'm not sure who inks what, but I really dig how smooth the women looked and how powerful and rough he continues to draw those two men.

And yeah, it did feel like a cartoon. I don't mind the decompression of the current stories because the flow is generally excellent. I love getting 44 pages a month.

It was aight. Mostly for the artwork. A bit too quick of a read for me, though.

Definitely something up with the Branden family. Cobb is way too cool a customer up against Frankenstein. He seems outright used to these sorts of situations. I think he and Kathy are good people, just more than meets the eye.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-07-2016 at 03:39 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

It's surely coincidental, but I've noticed that the characterization of Superman is always better in this book when Mahnke's on art.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    This issue was really fun! This actually gave me a feeling with Superman comics that I haven't had in like forever: this felt like a cartoon. I mean this in the best way. I loved that it's technically a Lois issue, and that Tomasi and Gleason call back to more of their run (their own little universe). Their characterization of Clark is spot on as ever, and Frank is really fun.

The ending actually took me by surprise.
    I agree right as I posted I hit edit and was tempted to add that it felt like Calvin and Hobbes to me, but couldn't decide if that was the right way to say it. Great comedic feel from the artwork for sure though.

Fantastic Member sustainentropy's Avatar

This issue was great. Tomasi and Gleason seem to have an affinity for Frankenstein, given that they used him quite prominently in their run on Batman. Lois busting out the Hellbat glove was pretty cool.

I'm more excited for the multiplicity arc though.

I loved the pacing of the story. I've been re-reading Dixon's Green Arrow and it reminded me of that--fast but packed with excitement.