Thread: Exams Time!

Default Exams Time!

Please, please, please... Tell me that somebody out there is feeling the same pain as me just now?!

Any other students out there?

“We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

I've got 2 to go, both tomorrow morning, Highway Engineering and Thermodynamics. I don't have any worries about my Highway exam but Thermodynamics....I'm just hoping for a 50%(As long as we get a 50% on each test and do well on the homework, we get a C) and then never thinking about that class ever again...

Sorry, had my time doing this for sure, but not now!

So glad I am done for the time being. Now just worry about job, bills, family, bills, friends, bills, bills, bills....!

Molecular Cell Biology was interesting, as was Hematology. Histopath can be confusing based on the various stains and morphologies. Biochem and molec biology are so integral in the courses and only get more difficult but also clearer once you take the 3rd and 4th course in them. Do you have any lab courses? Biochem Lab? Molec Biol Lab? Histo Lab? Hematology Lab? Some of those lab course are even more difficult than the classroom teachings (in a different way) and require a lot of prep time BEFORE going to the lab, as well as writing up your findings afterwards!

Hang in there! Only a few more weeks before Christmas break.

Haha, I need a first realistically. What kind of structure are the exams Panfoot? Ours are all essay based. Which is ok for me, I like essays. I just handed in three of them, one today so Im still waiting for the result on that one Any aspirations?

Honestly Phoenix, I'm stressing, but I would feel obsolete if I wasn't learning (that is why I want to go into research). My favourite things are learning and teaching. Labs are all done for this semester, but next semester we have two lab based projects and then our honours project next year. I did my own practical research project last year and I'm doing some research during the Summer break on gamma delta T cells, so I should be ok in that respect. I love labs! I just recently started helping out with teaching labs to first and second year students, man I did not realise how stressful it is for the lecturer!

Are you working in a relevant area now? Looking to do some postgrad?
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Almost every engineering class exam for me at this point is usually a 3-4 problem exam, typically not much short answer/conceptual questions at this level, mostly 2 or 3 long multi step problems and then a design problem if applicable(though in same cases, like Concrete Design, the entire final was 1 single design problem). Thermo is a different case though, all multiple choice with no partial credit(because the class size is 350 people), mix of conceptual and analytical. At least though, once I'm through Thermo that's it for the "why do I have to take this???" classes for me(my major is Civil Engineering), and really the last 2 "big" classes for me are Design 1(still haven't made my mind up if I want to do Structural or Geotechincal) and Capstone Design.

Extraordinary Member

First year of uni here (It doesn't count in the UK). I do have an exam on my first day back in January, a bit scared!

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Honestly Phoenix, I'm stressing, but I would feel obsolete if I wasn't learning (that is why I want to go into research). My favourite things are learning and teaching. Labs are all done for this semester, but next semester we have two lab based projects and then our honours project next year. I did my own practical research project last year and I'm doing some research during the Summer break on gamma delta T cells, so I should be ok in that respect. I love labs! I just recently started helping out with teaching labs to first and second year students, man I did not realise how stressful it is for the lecturer!

Are you working in a relevant area now? Looking to do some postgrad?
    Research is very interesting, can be extremely difficult and intense and but may also prove rewarding.

Learning and growing is essential for life!

Oh, yes, my friend, you must know everything that is to go on in the lab in order to teach the lab: anticipation, details for the lab, walk around helping students, explain intended (and non-intended) results, and what you expect in post-lab documentation.

I am actually currently working with research studies. I have a post-grad certificate, not in research, but more of legal/documentation specialization.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Research is very interesting, can be extremely difficult and intense and but may also prove rewarding.

Learning and growing is essential for life!

Oh, yes, my friend, you must know everything that is to go on in the lab in order to teach the lab: anticipation, details for the lab, walk around helping students, explain intended (and non-intended) results, and what you expect in post-lab documentation.

I am actually currently working with research studies. I have a post-grad certificate, not in research, but more of legal/documentation specialization.
    I am in it mostly for my own curiosity. I do want to help people, but it is mostly selfish reasons, if I'm honest. Ah ok, so what do you do just now? The main problem that I am having is getting to grips with the fact that experiments fail most of the time. Which makes sense, but it also goes against (in my opinion) instinct.

@Debko
    I am UK too, but I left school with nothing and had to do night classes and then college to get into university, so for me, HNC/HND (then third year entry at uni) mattered a lot :P What are you studying?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I am in it mostly for my own curiosity. I do want to help people, but it is mostly selfish reasons, if I'm honest. Ah ok, so what do you do just now? The main problem that I am having is getting to grips with the fact that experiments fail most of the time. Which makes sense, but it also goes against (in my opinion) instinct.

@Debko
    I am UK too, but I left school with nothing and had to do night classes and then college to get into university, so for me, HNC/HND (then third year entry at uni) mattered a lot :P What are you studying?
    Hey, Classical Studies. We split yesterday and I head home this morning.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I'm on the other end of this, but [selfish mode engaged] it's harder on us!

I've got a Q&A and study group in a couple hours. My finals are easy this term, but you can't convince some students of that and some of their finals are going to be crazy hard, so I want to help if I can.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)