Default Death of Hawkman #3 *Spoilers*

Summary: The plot moves forward at a pretty rapid pace this moth.

• Strange, still at Katar's apartment from the end of last issue, gives him a rundown of the situation on Rann and his suspicions of Despero's involvement.
    • They put in a call to the Justice League to check out Despero's containment cell again, just to make sure.
    • Cyborg responds, and, sure enough, Despero's gone.
    • Meanwhile, Katar's one-night-stand, Seraphene, takes her leave to let the boys work out their "issues" and sees an emergency report requesting anyone who's seen Strange to contact the authorities immediately.
    • Back on Rann, after having it out with the Rannian High Council, Alanna vows that if Strange betrays her for the Thanagarians, she'll kill him herself.
    • At Katar's apartment, the Thanagarian authorities catch up with our heroes, who after a brief skirmish are forced to flee and lay low.
    • On Kalador, Despero dispatches with several of his own people only to "awaken" a whole slew of others, who emerge from their slumber pledging allegiance to Despero.
    • With the help of Katar's Thanagarian partner, Hawkman and Strange manage to land a ride to Kalador, where they plan to confront Despero.
    • Alanna catches wind of their escape, however, and issues a bounty on both their heads.
    • To be continued...

Really fun issue. I can honestly say I was counting down the pages as I neared its climax; I didn't want it to end! Andreyko has very capably captured the essence of both characters, I think, while also managing to make them his own. Keeping in line with the New 52 rendition of the character, Andreyko's Hawkman is pretty darn gruff, but he manages to inject just enough humor to keep him human. Er, Thanagarian. His Adam Strange, meanwhile, is extremely down-to-earth (no pun intended), acting and talking like a regular guy put in an extremely precarious position. Granted, his dialogue reads a little awkward at times, I'll admit, but I still like what Andreyko is shooting for with it.

Art's good, although a bit muddier this month to my eyes. Still, it doesn't at all detract from the storytelling, and in a few key scenes--like the humorous opening spread or when Hawkman pops his wings to take on the Wingmen--Lopresti's line work highlights the tone that Andreyko is clearly shooting for with his prose. It does exactly what comic book art should do, in other words.

Anyhoo, I'm enjoying this series a lot so far. I already feel like it's the definitive Hawkman story to be told since before Flashpoint happened, and considering this is an unofficial "Rebirth" series, I'd say that's the way it should be. Not to sound like a tagline here, but I honestly can't wait to see what happens next!
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

I guess this should be a lesson to Katar about having one-night-stands (and being with anyone other then Shayera) .

Now that we finally really have the duo together, I think Andreyko's got a solid and fun buddy dynamic going. Strange is a kind of straight-man to Hawkman's more gruff, hardcore, and sometimes nonchalant attitude, and he works well in that role. It's also an interesting contrast between the different kinds of space heroes Adam and Katar are and how that plays out in their interactions with one another .

Don't forget that New 52 Shayera spent almost all of her appearances trying to kill Katar.
    And as for book, I expected a lot and got a lot in return. Can't complain at all.

Incredible Member

I enjoyed this. Can we have a Adam Strange/Hawkman buddy ongoing? They work so well together.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    I enjoyed this. Can we have a Adam Strange/Hawkman buddy ongoing? They work so well together.
    an adam strange / hawkman team up does seem more logical than a hawkman/atom series..

I really want them as part of a cosmic oriented Adventure Comics relaunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I really want them as part of a cosmic oriented Adventure Comics relaunch.
    although i've always equated adventures with superman, i totally support that thought.