Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What if there was no Superman

This is just a game, but it might be fun.

A few years ago, the Siegel family fought to claw back the rights to Superman. They had a colorable basis to do so under the 1976 Copyright Act, as amended, and, in fact, the Court had found in their favor. Ultimately, the matter was settled, as makes sense. But what if the Siegels chose to take the Superman rights and start their own comic company. And also assume that all derivative characters (Supergirl, Superboy particularly) were found to fall within Siegel's ownership of the Superman rights. What would DC do? Would it create a new character to fill in the Superman role? Would one of their other characters take that role? Interested in what you think might have happened.

Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post

A few years ago, the Siegel family fought to claw back the rights to Superman. They had a colorable basis to do so under the 1976 Copyright Act, as amended, and, in fact, the Court had found in their favor. Ultimately, the matter was settled, as makes sense. But what if the Siegels chose to take the Superman rights and start their own comic company. And also assume that all derivative characters (Supergirl, Superboy particularly) were found to fall within Siegel's ownership of the Superman rights. What would DC do? Would it create a new character to fill in the Superman role? Would one of their other characters take that role? Interested in what you think might have happened.

Sandy Hausler
    How was the matter settled: I'd thought that the courts ultimately decided DC had won?!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I think they would've just filled the holes in their line-up with more Batman books.

As far as in-universe? Another "Crisis" of some sort to explain away all things Superman.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

If there was no Superman I would be very sad. Also other heroes would have to work harder to pick up the slack.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Sandy Hausler
    Earth 2 originally took the trinity of the the board and tries to give aspects of those characters to the the jSA so I'd imagine they'd just prop up other characters with those aspects. Although I could see Johns being tasked to bring in a new character to fill Supes's shoes so it could be both.

There's a ton of Superman related characters that could never be logically assigned to Siegel/ Shuster copyright, because other creators originated them. The Legion, the New Gods, etc, etc.

DC would need to have a deep ponder on what to do with them, and how to furnish non-Superman back stories for the ones they continued to use.

Once that was decided, I think it would be best for DC to have a total re-boot...and for once it would genuinely be an exciting event, because DC could not just slightly update things, but would need to go for new origins, etc.

It would also be interesting to see how the "pure" Siegel/ Shuster Superman-verse would work out...I think the creators there would have a bigger challenge than those working on slimmed down DC verse.

Without Superman in the mix DC would do what they're already doing: Focus all their attention into Batman.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Captain Marvel would be putting in Double Overtime.

Good thing he as the Stamina of Atlas.

My impression is that dc can easily live on batman alone just as Sanrio can easily live on Hello Kitty alone. Without superman, dc might concentrate on heroes without super powers and that is more realistic and might actually be better for dc (no more unbelievable stories about god like people). Personally, I prefer Black Canary without super powers.

Incredible Member

They would continue to elevate Batman, that has overtaken Superman's number 1 spot since the late 1980's.
    A new "Trinity" consisting of either The Flash or Green Lantern. GL was really pushed some years ago, but it seemed to have died down and now The Flash has a successful tv series and a new movie so people know more about The Flash. I could see The New Trinity being Batman, Wonder Woman, and The Flash.

Batman continues to be king. Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and Flash get pushed a bit more. Perhaps Shazam is elevated to take Superman's place.

BANNED

Sandy Hausler
    OK, your mention of 1976 led me at first to think you meant what if it happened back in 1976. But I see now you mean what if it happened a few years ago. Honestly, I think they would just kill him off in the comics and move on.

The only mention of 1976 is the year that the Copyright Act went into effect (taking over for the 1909 version). As later amended, it provided for termination rights, alliowing a copyright holder who had sold or licensed his or her rights to get them back at a later time.

BTW, in looking back at the cases, I see I was mistaken as to how the case ended. On appeal, DC had won. Still, I thiink there was some settlement with the Siegels (but I could be wrong about that).

Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    It would also be interesting to see how the "pure" Siegel/ Shuster Superman-verse would work out...I think the creators there would have a bigger challenge than those working on slimmed down DC verse.
    With total creative freedom and without suits getting in the way I can see Superman and his fandom revitalized and reaching new heights.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

According to Alan Davis the answer is The Nail. It's a wonderful read with beautiful art.

Long time since I read "The Nail".....but wasn't it Alan Davis speculating on what might have happened if Kents had not adopted Clark, rather than about a world without Superman at all?
    Last edited by JackDaw; 12-09-2016 at 12:30 AM.