Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Good show, Horrible character

Simple idea for this thread. Pick a show that you think is really good, but has a character on it that you can't stand.

The example that inspired this thread:
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Gina Lanetti: She just annoys the crap out of me with her attitude and the show wants to show her as right most of the time for some reason - that she has crazy methods, but they usually pay off for the benefit of others. I can never sympathize with her and maybe it's the actress, but I feel the character doesn't actually care about the rest of the Squad. She comes across as a sociopath rather than "quirky" or even funny.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Liz from Blacklist. The actress does a good job, but I don't find her character well made or thought out.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Cheers - Diane Chambers - But she was written that way and done really well. Still a horrible character.

Dragon Ball Z - Goku. Literally gets married because he was like sure why not and then does so many stupid things and is really a horrible father and husband considering.

Fraiser - Fraiser - Seems way too different from his Cheers version. Not a fun character.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

The Walking Dead - Carl Grimes. I can't understand the praise he gets in some circles; both the character and Chandler Riggs are awful.

Supergirl - Win Schott. Just... no.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Can't think of one right now, but then I probably wouldn't think the show was really good if I couldn't stand a character one it.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

House - 13 and Vogler. Unlikable angsty hot chick and token evil boss. Any episode focusing on them sucked.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Show: The Walking Dead!

Character: Negan!

From the Moment he stepped out of the Camper this character was just Annoying and came off as "Really"? He jokes way to much and they are bad, he makes no sense to be in this position of power with how he acts and cares himself. His Charisma to being a leader and intimating is flat, the Governor can run circles around him. Is not intimating, looks smaller then the goons around him and worst of all he is a One-Dimensional Bully Character like a Steve King Bully. No Redeemable qualities, just keep adding up things that make him look more like scum and that equals character development?

Also, the guy comes off SO Wimpy, Everything is Attack me and my goons will take vengeance. I come with a HUGE army everywhere I go, even alone that is all he gives off. Other Villains used their own personal to be scary and even fight battles, he is my army means all my scary. smh. =/

Negan just feels like a speed bump, this was not the right choose to be the one to kill 2 beloved characters and bring Rick to Tears, just annoyed the Piss out of me. If you like him, I am glad you do and keep enjoying, for me just..........NO, Just NO.
    Last edited by CJStriker; 12-08-2016 at 09:04 PM.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Deep Space 9 - Quark: I get what they were trying to do with a character like him. He was the Capt Louis to Odo's Rick and all that (with the twist being Odo/Rick was the lawman and Quark was the bar owner...) and I would have been ok with him had he stayed a background character, but any time they focused on him, it just grated on me like rusty nails on a chalkboard, if the chalkboard was my spine! His brother was even worse - and his son was even worse than that! .... Ugh!
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-08-2016 at 09:16 PM.

Xena: Warrior Princess - Joxer

Usually I have the opposite problem where I love the characters but the show is a wreck.

Breaking Bad and the wife and son. I kept hearing about how great the show is and I did enjoy a good chunk of it. But every time they showed up it would be like nails on a chalk board. It got to the point where I would just check out. I made it as far as the 1st episode of the second season.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Friends: Rachel, Joey, Monica and Phoebe. But especially Rachel. She's just a horrible person through and through.

How I Met Your Mother: Robin and Barney. Both of them are assholes.

The Walking Dead. You could kill off about 98% of the cast and I wouldn't shed 1 tear.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyattractor View Post
    The Walking Dead. You could kill off about 98% of the cast and I wouldn't shed 1 tear.
    And yet you really like the show?

Battle of the Planets - 7Zark7: I know he was an add-on, but I didn't know that until later, but when I was a kid, his segments bugged the crap out of me even though his existence was meant to appeal to kids in the post - R2-D2 world
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-09-2016 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    And yet you really like the show?

Battle of the Planets - 7Zark7: I know he was an add-on, but I didn't know that until later, but when I was a kid, his segments bugged the crap out of me even though his existence was meant to appeal to kids in the post - R2-D2 world
    I only watch it so I can make fun of it.

...7Zark7 rocked....Him and his little robo puppy.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Show: The Walking Dead!

Character: Negan!

From the Moment he stepped out of the Camper this character was just Annoying and came off as "Really"? He jokes way to much and they are bad, he makes no sense to be in this position of power with how he acts and cares himself. His Charisma to being a leader and intimating is flat, the Governor can run circles around him. Is not intimating, looks smaller then the goons around him and worst of all he is a One-Dimensional Bully Character like a Steve King Bully. No Redeemable qualities, just keep adding up things that make him look more like scum and that equals character development?

Also, the guy comes off SO Wimpy, Everything is Attack me and my goons will take vengeance. I come with a HUGE army everywhere I go, even alone that is all he gives off. Other Villains used their own personal to be scary and even fight battles, he is my army means all my scary. smh. =/

Negan just feels like a speed bump, this was not the right choose to be the one to kill 2 beloved characters and bring Rick to Tears, just annoyed the Piss out of me. If you like him, I am glad you do and keep enjoying, for me just..........NO, Just NO.
    I was going to pick the same character! I agree that the Governor was much better as a villain. Better actor at least. Negan's constant jabbering is annoying and his jokes are pretty lame. What I don't understand it that any number of his minions could probably take him out. He gives them guns, etc so why not just haul off and shoot the SOB? Better yet, I hope he gets fed to the tiger.