BANNED

Default Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #1 Spoilers

A quick review before I get into spoilers:

-If you liked Gillen's Darth Vader, this is that book minus Darth Vader. So if you thought characters like Triple Zero and Aphra brought a fun amount of levity to that book, you'll feel the same way about this one. If you thought they were obnoxious OCs that distracted from the main character, I'm not sure why you picked this up?

I'm interested to see where the book goes, because as I said Aphra was a foil to Vader, a brightness to balance his darkness, and now that he's gone the book looks to be headed in a lot lighter of a direction. That might not be a bad thing though.

Kev Walker's art is good, but a little flat compared to Larroca and Yu. Still very much up to snuff with the other SW books

For 5 bucks you do get 40 pages and two stories, which is nice to see.

SPOILERS

The main story opens with another Raiders homage, only this time the Indy-alike is not Aphra but an actual Indy-alike, and Aphra is the sneak that tries (and in this case succeeds) to kill him and steal the treasure for herself.

Aphra plans to sell her newly acquired idol on an official archeological market (more money that way) to pay off some guy with a funny hat. Said guy attempts to strongarm her into giving him the artifact to cut her out of the deal, but some persuasion from Black Krrsantan convinces him otherwise. He tells Aphra to hurry with her payment so that the Empire doesn't discover her whereabouts. Triple Zero finds this terribly rude...

...so rude in fact that he pays the fellow a visit to inject him with a high grade neurotoxin. Turns out the psychotic protocol droid has grown rather attached to the good Doctor.

Only problem is, it turns out the "Doctor" part has been suspended by someone, meaning Aphra can no longer sell the artifact. That someone turns out to be her father, who discovered the circumstances of how she got her doctorate, and is now before her to begin her "spiritual healing."

The backup goes back to Aphra's college days, showing how she got her doctorate. Turns out her supervisor really hated her, and had no intentions of making her a doctor, so she stole not-xenomorph eggs in his vault and passed off the discovery as her own. So everybody wins! Well, except for Aphra's friend, who vows to spend decades learning about how the planet Aphra pretended to discover the eggs on managed to pacify their parasitic natures. But that's business eh?

I'm curious about how long this book will last. Vader of course had Vader as the 'hook' so to speak, but I heard it's later sales went down a bit, and most casual people will look at this comic and go "Who?"

I like the character and all but I'm not sure it has staying power.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I'm curious about how long this book will last. Vader of course had Vader as the 'hook' so to speak, but I heard it's later sales went down a bit, and most casual people will look at this comic and go "Who?"

I like the character and all but I'm not sure it has staying power.
    I agree, though Gillen's is still riding the wave of critocal success his Vader book had, so I think his name will draw the folks who stuck around for that book.

It seems were going to see Triple Zero shift into the requisite evil teammate for Aphra's easygoing demeanor to play against.