Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Is Spider-Man Jewish?

I came across this article from Screen Rant claiming that Spider-Man is Jewish. Is this true or just speculation?

Here's the article: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Spider-Man

Someone once told me that Peter Parker was a Protestant according to the 616 continuity but I've never seen any proof of that either. Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things but it would be an interesting tidbit, especially considering how little Marvel touches on religion.
    Last edited by Poochie; 12-11-2016 at 12:27 AM.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Probably not. We've seen Aunt May go to church on a number of occasions, and it's just a generic vaguely Protestant service.

However, Spider-Man, in a meta-fictional sense, certainly has Jewish heritage - some of his most celebrated creators have been Jewish, including Stan Lee, J.M. DeMatteis (part-Jewish), Brian Michael Bendis, and Dan Slott.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
    I came across this article from Screen Rant claiming that Spider-Man is Jewish. Is this true or just speculation?

Here's the article: http://screenrant.com/spider-man-trivia-facts-you-didnt-know

Someone once told me that Peter Parker was a Protestant according to the 616 continuity but I've never seen any proof of that either. Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things but it would be an interesting tidbit, especially considering how little Marvel touches on religion.
    I believe he was Christian, Protestant most likely, a lot of his creative talent was Jewish, as is Stan Lee. But not all of the characters created by Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and other creative talent who are Jewish is neccessarily Jewish themselves.

Probably not. Stan may have wanted him to be Jewish but this may have been controversial for the whole Anglo Saxons that ruled America back then. So it was probably best to stick to with a "WASP" character. Even to this day, some Jews are still viewed as "sub-white" if you may, which is silly given how at the most extreme your stereotypical Ashkenazi (the branch that many American Jews can trace their roots back too) Jew most likely looks Southern European/Middle Eastern looking but hey, it is what it is.

There was a Hanukkah Holiday issue where all of Marvel's most prominent Jewish heroes got together to celebrate (Ben Grimm, Kitty Pryde, Moon Knight, etc.) It would have been a major oversight to leave the corporation's most popular mascot out of the mix.

Don't know, don't care.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Don't know, don't care.
    Pretty much my response.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

It's not really specifically stated what his cultural/physical heritage is, but he is an atheist as far as religious beliefs are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    It's not really specifically stated what his cultural/physical heritage is, but he is an atheist as far as religious beliefs are concerned.
    He does seem to be more spiritual.

There's some info on it in an online spotlight.

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/SpiderMan.html
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member

Well, remember back in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man 04 after Peter comes back to life from "the other" beating; Reed Richards, Stark and Pym are giving Peter tests and Aunt May comes in demanding they let Peter relax. She then storms off saying she needs to go to church. Sure, she isn't directly related to Peter, but i am sure since she is a Reilly, which would probably lead her ancestry to Ireland and given most children follow their mothers religion and she raised Peter, he probably has some level of church going in him.

Also, in Ultimate Spider-man, Peter's memorial is held in St Patricks Cathedral.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

He's at least Irish or Scottish on his mother's side, since her maiden name was Fitzgerald. Parker is a common English surname, though it should be mentioned that at least one of Peter's actors was Jewish, so that could play a factor, too.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

"Few Yiddish words sprinkled into his dialogue make him Jewish"
    Sounds legit.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

BANNED

No I don't think that the character is Jewish. But you can see that the character is deeply been influenced by the various Jewish creators that wrote him, who obviously inserted their faith and heritage into the stories. I say the same thing for the X-Men (pre-00's) and Superman as well.

Incredible Member

This whole thread reminds me of Juice from sons of anarchy. "I'm from forest hills queens. I speak better Yiddish than Spanish" or whatever that line was. Speaking from experience since I live in Rego Park/Forest Hills as well. Everyone is a little Jewish around here.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    This whole thread reminds me of Juice from sons of anarchy. "I'm from forest hills queens. I speak better Yiddish than Spanish" or whatever that line was. Speaking from experience since I live in Rego Park/Forest Hills as well. Everyone is a little Jewish around here.
    Oy vey, only a schmuck would believe that.

Speaking as someone who grew up in the same area and is not of the chosen people.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets