Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
The biography confirmed what I long suspected and argued, Stan Lee did not intend Spider-Man to be Jewish and so Spider-Man as a character is not originally or inherently Jewish the way Ben Grimm absolutely was, and the way Kitty Pryde unabashedly was introduced as.

That doesn't mean of course that Jewish readers or for that matter readers of any other faith or ethnicity cannot claim Spider-Man as important to them and find value in his story applicable to their experience. That's 100% fair and valid. It's just that we can't claim Spider-Man as Jewish solely because Stan Lee grew up Jewish and see the character as a biographical reflection of one of the credited creators of Spider-Man, and certainly not the one with the greater role in shaping and defining Spider-Man.

Riesman, who is Jewish himself, argued and elaborated on this in a separate article for a website:
https://jewishcurrents.org/this-is-n...y-of-stan-lee/

Exactly. I am an atheist...and I like the faith aspect of certain characters. I think it helps define them and give them more depth. Thing's Judaism or Nightcrawler's Catholicism are important aspects of who they are as individuals.