Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Ultimate Peter Parker is not Jewish; In one of the USM issues (found in the Ultimate Knights trade, I think), Peter specifically comments that he's isn't to himself in one of his little internal monologues after using a Yiddish expression.
    And upon his death, Peter's service was held in St Patrick's Cathedral. The Fallout issue may not specifically state St Patrick's, but the place has a crucifix on the top and the very next page has several more crucifixes all around. Doesn't mean Peter was Catholic but certainly points away from Judaism.

Exact quote from USM #106

Peter's internal monologue: "Phone's dead. Great. I have to call my now-ex girlfriend Kitty and tell her that we are no longer dating [he reconciled with Mary Jane]... So she can come over and beat the holy snot out of me for being a two-timing snake, which is what I am. And every minute that goes by that I don't tell her is not making this any easier."
    Peter [out loud]: "Oy!"
    Peter's internal monologue resumed: "Exactly, and I'm not even Jewish."
    I think that settles the case, as far as USM goes, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    And upon his death, Peter's service was held in St Patrick's Cathedral. The Fallout issue may not specifically state St Patrick's, but the place has a crucifix on the top and the very next page has several more crucifixes all around. Doesn't mean Peter was Catholic but certainly points away from Judaism.
    Actually, in USM, Peter or his family never expressed any religious beliefs. There's nothing that would preclude the character(s) having any, but we don't seem them praying, attending or talking about attending a place of worship, etc.
    Last edited by WebLurker; 11-21-2017 at 01:18 AM.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Way I see it is this.

Spider-Man believes in Gods, even met a few, but doesn't follow any religion of man's creation as they're all wrong the moment he's high fiving Thor and Hercules at the same time.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Way I see it is this.

Spider-Man believes in Gods, even met a few, but doesn't follow any religion of man's creation as they're all wrong the moment he's high fiving Thor and Hercules at the same time.
    Or teaming up with Loki to save Loki's mortal daughter and being rewarded with a favor that he can call in at any time . . . and for some reason hasn't, even when it would've come in very handy on a certain occasion.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Well, he isn't anymore at least.
    If that was a better comic, that scene might have pissed some people off.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    If that was a better comic, that scene might have pissed some people off.
    The funny thing is that Amazing Grace actually ends with Peter going back to church to rekindle his lost faith.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    He's at least Irish or Scottish on his mother's side, since her maiden name was Fitzgerald. Parker is a common English surname, though it should be mentioned that at least one of Peter's actors was Jewish, so that could play a factor, too.
    Fitzgerald is actually a name of Norman origin
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Troian View Post
    Probably not. Stan may have wanted him to be Jewish but this may have been controversial for the whole Anglo Saxons that ruled America back then. So it was probably best to stick to with a "WASP" character. Even to this day, some Jews are still viewed as "sub-white" if you may, which is silly given how at the most extreme your stereotypical Ashkenazi (the branch that many American Jews can trace their roots back too) Jew most likely looks Southern European/Middle Eastern looking but hey, it is what it is.

Genetic studies show that Ashkenazi Jews are mixture of mainly Middle Eastern and Mediterranean European ancestry
    Most of their Y DNA is Middle Eastern, and most of their mitochondrial DNA is Mediterranean European

My maternal grandmother's mother was an Ashkenazi Jew
    her father immigrated from Romania, and her mother immigrated from Latvia

I get a lot of DNA relative matches through the Ashkenazi Jewish at the DNA sites that I am a member of
    23andme, AncestryDNA, and FamilyTreeDNA

You can be of the Jewish ethnicity and not practice Judaism.
    There are Jews that don't practice Judaism. Some are even atheists,agnostics.
    Last edited by Starrius; 11-21-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    Fitzgerald is actually a name of Norman origin
    Thanks for the correction.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Thanks for the correction.
    It's not necessarily a correction
    It does have Irish connections

The FitzGerald dynasty (Irish: Ríshliocht Mhic Gearailt) is an Irish Hiberno-Norman or Cambro-Norman royal dynasty. They have been peers of Ireland since at least the 14th century, and are identified in The Annals of the Four Masters as being "more Irish than the Irish themselves" or Galls, due to assimilation with the native Gaelic aristocratic and popular culture. The dynasty has also been referred to as the Geraldines. They were established by the conquest of large swathes of Irish territory by the sons and grandsons of Gerald FitzWalter of Windsor (c. 1075 – 1135). Gerald was a Norman castellan in Wales, and is the male progenitor of the Fitzgerald dynasty ("fitz", from the Anglo-Norman fils indicating "sons of" Gerald).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FitzGerald_dynasty

Fitz was Norman for "son of"

like FitzRoy is "son of the king"

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    It's not necessarily a correction
    It does have Irish connections

The FitzGerald dynasty (Irish: Ríshliocht Mhic Gearailt) is an Irish Hiberno-Norman or Cambro-Norman royal dynasty. They have been peers of Ireland since at least the 14th century, and are identified in The Annals of the Four Masters as being "more Irish than the Irish themselves" or Galls, due to assimilation with the native Gaelic aristocratic and popular culture. The dynasty has also been referred to as the Geraldines. They were established by the conquest of large swathes of Irish territory by the sons and grandsons of Gerald FitzWalter of Windsor (c. 1075 – 1135). Gerald was a Norman castellan in Wales, and is the male progenitor of the Fitzgerald dynasty ("fitz", from the Anglo-Norman fils indicating "sons of" Gerald).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FitzGerald_dynasty

Fitz was Norman for "son of"

like FitzRoy is "son of the king"
    So more of an expansion than a correction. Ok. I understand. Thank you, though, for expanding my knowledge in this regard.

Fantastic Member

He’s a Christian, been established in a number of comics

He is definitely not religiously Jewish, nor has he grown up in an observant Jewish (or even secular Jewish) household, but it could be established he has Jewish roots.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Dan Slott discussed his thoughts on the matter on twitter.

Is Spidey agnostic?
    Is Spidey Catholic?
    Is Spidey Jewish?
    I'd get these kinds of questions a lot.
    My answer is: Spidey is universal. "Anyone can wear the mask."
    To nail down Spidey's religion (or to keep bringing it up) makes him less universal.

A lot of Spidey writers from Stan to Bendis to myself have been Jewish. There are Jewish mannerisms and phrases thrown in there from time to time. But the SAME can be said of other Spider writers of other religions over the 50+ years of Spider-Man stories. Everything's valid.

If you want to get technical, there are (very rare) canonical stories that clearly state that both (Uncle) Ben Parker and (Aunt) May Reilly are Irish Americans. And we've seen Peter celebrate X-Mas.

But looking at it that way (to me) misses the point.

Spidey is universal.

To bring up Spidey's religion isn't necessary.

You should be able to see yourself reflected in Spidey. Everyone should.

Spidey's REAL religion can be summed up in one phrase:

"With Great Power There Must Also Come Great Responsibility."

'Nuff Said.
    There was some pushback, which he responded to.

Ever have one of those days where you make a couple of posts basically saying that "Spider-Man should be for everybody" and it makes a lot of people mad?

Monday on Comic Twitter.
    Back to work.
    For half a century, there have been generations of kids who first "meet" Spider-Man as an icon, as a character that is just a "mask", as a character who crosses all kinds of boundaries and connects on with people on multiple levels. And I like to think of that as a good thing.
    One time I saw art on a Brand New Day Spider-Man comic (not one of mine) that had Peter wearing a Yankees shirt. I said, "You have to change it. It's canon that Peter's for the Mets."
    No one listened to me. And the fans got SUPER upset.

You'd think I'd understand how this works.

Peter Parker/Spider-Man is a character in ongoing comics, cartoons, and comics.
    That version of Spider-Man is ALSO an icon that has been around for over half a century.
    How both sides of that same coin are perceived and managed is... not the easiest job in the world.
    Let me phrase it a different way.

I'd never want to take away YOUR personal take for what YOU believe Spidey's faith or system of belief is, or make you feel that's invalid.

The one constant is he believes that with great power there must also come great responsibility.

Peace.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Slott, Jewish: Keeping the character more general will give people more freedom to interpret him in ways they can relate to more!

Twitter people interpreting Spider-Man in ways they can relate to more, the type that Dan is arguing for: um Sir how DARE yOu?!?+?
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate