View Poll Results: Is Homecoming drawing heavily from the Miles Morales Spider-Man comics.

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

68 52.31%
  • No/ Not really.

62 47.69%
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Default Is Homecoming ripping off Miles Morales?

Similar suit origin to Miles in MCU Civil War.

Carbon copy best friend.

Direct 'referencing' of Miles's comics for the movie.

Completely possible Peter is going to private school and that's why discount Ganke is his room mate. Just like Miles.

Is Homecoming ripping off Miles Morales?

Was Miles' suit a Tony Stark super-suit with teched out features that Peter and Miles have both never had before?

I think Ganke and Peter are only sharing a room together because the students are in a hotel at DC. That seems to be where the climax of the movie happens.

Look, I think the whole "Ned is Ganke" thing is dumb and unnecessary, and I agree they are definitely trying to go for a Miles feel in that regard, but otherwise everything else feels like a Peter Parker Spider-Man movie.

It's an adaptation, they combine numerous parts of the source material together. Just like how the DCAU gave Wally and Kyle the origin stories from Barry and Hal, this film is taking parts of the Miles Morales comics, mainly in the form of Ganke.

Other than Ganke, what else is Homecoming ripping off? Having an Avenger mentor is not a Miles exclusive thing, Ultimate Peter Parker had that in the form of Nick Fury. So if anything Sam Jackson is the one getting screwed here.

I say this as someone who likes Miles and is neutral to negative towards most versions of Peter. Does this mean Miles isn't going to star in a movie any time soon? Sure but I had assumed that already.

Default Fixing a poll.

On the request of the original poster, I deleted the poll, and added a new one.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Was Miles' suit a Tony Stark super-suit with teched out features that Peter and Miles have both never had before?

I think Ganke and Peter are only sharing a room together because the students are in a hotel at DC. That seems to be where the climax of the movie happens.

Look, I think the whole "Ned is Ganke" thing is dumb and unnecessary, and I agree they are definitely trying to go for a Miles feel in that regard, but otherwise everything else feels like a Peter Parker Spider-Man movie.
    They seem to be in a hotel later in the movie, which has 2 double beds. The room they're in for the scene is full of nerdy stuff like Lego. So I'd wager it's a dorm.

Miles's suit had a bunch of tech in it for vision and coms I believe. So that counts. Miles's suit was made by SHIELD, so possibly by Stark? If you swap Spider-Woman/SHIELD for Tony Stark in the scenarios getting their first suits it's not really any different.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    On the request of the original poster, I deleted the poll, and added a new one.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    They seem to be in a hotel later in the movie, which has 2 double beds. The room they're in for the scene is full of nerdy stuff like Lego. So I'd wager it's a dorm.
    Or it's Ganke's house.

Miles's suit had a bunch of tech in it for vision and coms I believe. So that counts. Miles's suit was made by SHIELD, so possibly by Stark? If you swap Spider-Woman/SHIELD for Tony Stark in the scenarios getting their first suits it's not really any different.
    I don't remember that, I always just thought it was a normal Spider-Man suit. It having any other tech other then the web-shooters he got from Aunt May doesn't really come up that often, from what I recall .

Well, the contexts are entirely different. You don't see Tony beating up Peter and then dragging him to a cell on the Triskellion because he feels he's dishonoring the memory of Spider-Man (who is only Peter in this universe) and then only relenting when Peter proves himself against Electro.

And the reason for Tony making the suit in the movie was because the Russo's needed to justify Peter's suit looking as good as it does without stretching disbelief (anymore then they already were) and connect him to Stark, and I doubt lifting from Miles Morales' origin came up at all in the writing process.

The question's a bit complex.

In the comics, Ned Leeds was a handsome blonde reporter who competed with Peter for the affections of a coworker.
    Ganke was a chubby Asian kid who loved legos and discovered that his best friend/ classmate is Spider-Man.
    The movie Ned Leeds is clearly more like the second than the first.

Legally, Marvel/ Sony have the rights to use any elements of the source material, and there's plenty of stuff that fits the classic Peter (fighting the Vulture/ pining for Liz Allen/ first Spider-Man.)

Some of the changes are necessitated by new developments. This story seems to require a character who hasn't existed in Peter's comics: a male best friend who isn't Harry Osborn. They're using the MCU more, which means Spider-Man spends more time hanging out with superheroes than in the original or Ultimate comics (partly because there weren't a lot of established superheroes in early Ultimate Marvel, whereas this Spider-Man's adventures happen in a world established in 15+ movies, and five TV shows.) However, this was part of the Ultimate cartoon, so it's not exclusive to Miles.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Some of the changes are necessitated by new developments. This story seems to require a character who hasn't existed in Peter's comics: a male best friend who isn't Harry Osborn. They're using the MCU more, which means Spider-Man spends more time hanging out with superheroes than in the original or Ultimate comics (partly because there weren't a lot of established superheroes in early Ultimate Marvel, whereas this Spider-Man's adventures happen in a world established in 15+ movies, and five TV shows.) However, this was part of the Ultimate cartoon, so it's not exclusive to Miles.
    I definitely hope they aren't taking any direct inspiration from that cartoon .

Or it's Ganke's house.
    That defies logic a bit. Peter is crawling into someone's room, you'd assume it's his own (dorm), otherwise he wouldn't be doing it. Given that not!Ganke is surprised and Peter is denying it, so he's not showing up to prove he's spider-man.

I don't remember that, I always just thought it was a normal Spider-Man suit. It having any other tech other then the web-shooters he got from Aunt May doesn't really come up that often, from what I recall .

Well, the contexts are entirely different. You don't see Tony beating up Peter and then dragging him to a cell on the Triskellion because he feels he's dishonoring the memory of Spider-Man (who is only Peter in this universe) and then only relenting when Peter proves himself against Electro.

And the reason for Tony making the suit in the movie was because the Russo's needed to justify Peter's suit looking as good as it does without stretching disbelief (anymore then they already do) and connect him to Stark, and I doubt lifting from Miles Morales' origin came up at all in the writing process.
    No Tony is less violent, instead of ambushing him on a rooftop, he ambushes him in his home with his aunt's nutloaf But it follows the same pattern in broad strokes, discovery, confrontation, acceptance, freebie suit.

That defies logic a bit. Peter is crawling into someone's room, you'd assume it's his own (dorm), otherwise he wouldn't be doing it. Given that not!Ganke is surprised and Peter is denying it, so he's not showing up to prove he's spider-man.
    Or there might be a reason Peter is crawling into Ganke's room.

No Tony is less violent, instead of ambushing him on a rooftop, he ambushes him in his home with his aunt's nutloaf But it follows the same pattern in broad strokes, discovery, confrontation, acceptance, freebie suit.
    I think it's enough different, especially in the context of how it serves the movie and the MCU as a whole, that it's not really the same or like Miles' origin.

And, again, the reasoning for it was probably not to mimic Miles Morales but to come up with a sensible way of integrating Spider-Man into the movie and Civil War conflict.

I posted this in the trailer thread as well but I really am stunned at the amount of people who are claiming that they are essentially "white-washing" a miles story by making this movie about Peter. While yes the Ned Leeds character has almost nothing in common with Ned Leeds from the comics and looks and sounds like ganke, how in the world does that make this movie a sign that marvel will never make a miles movie or that they are ripping off Miles in order to elevate Peter. Almost all the elements of the movie are based on Peter's stories. I mean the trailer includes:

-Aunt May
    -Mentorship by Tony Stark
    -Peter having a crush on Liz Allen
    -Classic Costume scheme
    -Quips and Banter from Spidey ( While not exclusive to Pete, he is much more known for that than Miles is)
    -Classic Villains like Vulture and Shocker

and that is all from a barely two minute long trailer, who knows how much more is actually in the movie. But somehow the presence of a overweight Asian friend makes this movie a miles story that was stolen and given to Peter. While I certainly prefer Peter and see him as the "true" spider-man, I am also a fan of miles and feel he is a great character, to reduce Miles story down to having an overweight Asian best friend is ridiculous. It just seems weird that based on the presence of that character alone, people are claiming that Marvel cast other roles in this movie with a more diverse cast in order to cover up for including this character. I would get it if say peter was running around in the black costume that miles has, or if it was reveled that peter's uncle had been a criminal but to say that because a character who seems like Ganke is in the movie that they have "white washed" the role is just ridiculous. I mean if there was a superman movie where he fought Braniac and worked at the daily planet but the movie included a police officer with mustache as an ally for superman does that mean that the whole movie is a stolen batman story. Or if a batman movie included him dating an ace female reporter from metropolis would that mean that they stole the entire story from superman. It just seems weird how easily some people jump to the worst possible conclusion about the intentions of the creators of this movie and assume that they are intentionally set on destroying Miles character and story lines. I mean the "Ned Leeds" character could very well appear in this movie and then later on appear in a different movie and become friends with Miles.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    I posted this in the trailer thread as well but I really am stunned at the amount of people who are claiming that they are essentially "white-washing" a miles story by making this movie about Peter. While yes the Ned Leeds character has almost nothing in common with Ned Leeds from the comics and looks and sounds like ganke, how in the world does that make this movie a sign that marvel will never make a miles movie or that they are ripping off Miles in order to elevate Peter. Almost all the elements of the movie are based on Peter's stories. I mean the trailer includes:

-Aunt May
    -Classic Costume scheme
    -Quips and Banter from Spidey ( While not exclusive to Pete, he is much more known for that than Miles is)

and that is all from a barely two minute long trailer, who knows how much more is actually in the movie. But somehow the presence of a overweight Asian friend makes this movie a miles story that was stolen and given to Peter. While I certainly prefer Peter and see him as the "true" spider-man, I am also a fan of miles and feel he is a great character, to reduce Miles story down to having an overweight Asian best friend is ridiculous. It just seems weird that based on the presence of that character alone, people are claiming that Marvel cast other roles in this movie with a more diverse cast in order to cover up for including this character. I would get it if say peter was running around in the black costume that miles has, or if it was reveled that peter's uncle had been a criminal but to say that because a character who seems like Ganke is in the movie that they have "white washed" the role is just ridiculous. I mean if there was a superman movie where he fought Braniac and worked at the daily planet but the movie included a police officer with mustache as an ally for superman does that mean that the whole movie is a stolen batman story. Or if a batman movie included him dating an ace female reporter from metropolis would that mean that they stole the entire story from superman. It just seems weird how easily some people jump to the worst possible conclusion about the intentions of the creators of this movie and assume that they are intentionally set on destroying Miles character and story lines. I mean the "Ned Leeds" character could very well appear in this movie and then later on appear in a different movie and become friends with Miles.
    This x50

And if people are complaining about Peter being trained by Tony look at ultimate spiderman pre miles. No one complained miles ripped off that story

Or there might be a reason Peter is crawling into Ganke's room.
    Possible, but given the school merch on the wall, the bunk bed and the two desks, i think dorm is most likely. Not sure why Ganke would have a bunk bed with the top bunk not made up. The scenario and props fit Ganke being his room mate at the start of a new school year in whatever private school the Stark grant got Peter into.

I think it's enough different, especially in the context of how it serves the movie and the MCU as a whole, that it's not really the same or like Miles' origin.

And, again, the reasoning for it was probably not to mimic Miles Morales but to come up with a sensible way of integrating Spider-Man into the movie and Civil War conflict.
    It's serves the MCU's purpose sure, but it's still incredibly similar to Miles's story. And it's harder to shrug off given they took Miles's best friend, gave him a white name and stuck him in the same movie as Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post

-Aunt May
    -Classic Costume scheme

and that is all from a barely two minute long trailer, who knows how much more is actually in the movie. But somehow the presence of a overweight Asian friend makes this movie a miles story that was stolen and given to Peter. While I certainly prefer Peter and see him as the "true" spider-man, I am also a fan of miles and feel he is a great character, to reduce Miles story down to having an overweight Asian best friend is ridiculous. It just seems weird that based on the presence of that character alone, people are claiming that Marvel cast other roles in this movie with a more diverse cast in order to cover up for including this character. I would get it if say peter was running around in the black costume that miles had or if it was reveled that peter's uncle had been a criminal but to say that because a character who seems like Ganke is in the movie that they have "white washed" the role is just ridiculous. I mean if there was a superman movie where he fought Braniac and worked at the daily planet but the movie included a police officer with mustache as an ally for superman does that mean that the whole movie is a stolen batman story. Or if a batman movie included him dating an ace female reporter from metropolis would that mean that they stole the entire story from superman. It just seems weird how easily some people jump to the worst possible conclusion about the intentions of the creators of this movie and assume that they are intentionally set on destroying Miles character and story lines. I mean the "Ned Leeds" character could very well appear in this movie and then later on appear in a different movie and become friends with Miles.
    You don't think it's suspect they have 50+ years of multiple Peter Parker centric continuity to mine and they chose to take elements from Miles's books, the one character who was campaigned hard for for being MCU's Spider-Man? It feels like a MCU solid "we aren't ever doing it, but we'll use Miles's stuff just to dash your hopes"

It's serves the MCU's purpose sure, but it's still incredibly similar to Miles's story. And it's harder to shrug off given they took Miles's best friend, gave him a white name and stuck him in the same movie as Peter.
    And again, I'm acknowledging the Ganke thing and have issue with it, but I don't think that immediately means they're trying to make Miles' story into a Peter story.

You can see very loose similarities between MCU!Peter and Miles in regards to the origin, but I still think they're overall completely different.

You don't think it's suspect they have 50+ years of multiple Peter Parker centric continuity to mine and they chose to take elements from Miles's books, the one character who was campaigned hard for for being MCU's Spider-Man? It feels like a MCU solid "we aren't ever doing it, but we'll use Miles's stuff just to dash your hopes"
    One specific element from Miles book, that being Ganke and the relationship with him, and otherwise there are still plenty of Peter Parker elements (not as much as I'd like, but still) as well as Marvel Studios changing certain things like they always do, but not to the degree that I see this as a Miles Morales movie with Peter inserted into there.

The only thing I suspect is that they couldn't think of a better confidante for Peter and stand-in for Harry as best friend other then just stealing Ganke.

It couldn't be MJ, like in the Ultimate comics, because they're apparently trying to hide she's in the movie .

And again, I'm acknowledging the Ganke thing and have issue with it, but I don't think that immediately means they're trying to make Peter's story into a Miles story.

You can see very loose similarities between MCU!Peter and Miles in regards to the origin, but I still think they're overall completely different.
    I don't think they're going to turn this into a Miles story, I just think it's disrespectful how they've ignored all the Peter continuity to just lift things from Miles's books. It's like passing a whole isle of perfectly good stuff so you can take the kind there's only one left of and someone is already reaching for it.