View Poll Results: Is Homecoming drawing heavily from the Miles Morales Spider-Man comics.

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

68 52.31%
  • No/ Not really.

62 47.69%
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast
    Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    He had one big scene in Civil War with Captain America (the whole "Brooklyn"/"Queens" thing) but that is far less than what fans wanted/expected. He had even less interactions with his fellow team-mates. He doesn't have any independent scenes with Dr. Strange (who calls him Tony's "ward") or anyone else.

So again please don't try and gaslight the rest of us. We've seen the same movie, we know the meaning of the word interaction.
    I don’t care if you or anybody else was “underwhelmed” by his interactions with other characters so far, that’s not the point being argued. You said all MCU Peter was in the MCU is just a member of Stark’s support cast. Guess what? That’s simply not true. In just 3 years Spider-Man interacted with a whole bunch of characters that nobody ever seriously expected to ever happen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    You said all MCU Peter was in the MCU is just a member of Stark’s support cast.
    Happy Hogan in Spider-Man:Homecoming is a Spider-Man character, now? Last I checked he was an Iron Man character. Likewise, Pepper Potts. Both of them appeared in Homecoming, and Hogan and Peter's interactions is basically entirely framed in their connection to Tony Stark. If you do a word-count of Spider-Man's dialogues, "Mr. Stark" and "Stark" comes up a lot. The only other superhero he mentions by name is Captain America (and that's just once). Nobody else is mentioned by him. In screenwriting, playwriting, and dramatic terms...those are vital signifiers and indicators of who is the central character and who is the supporting one.

Again do not gaslight your fellow commentators or indulge in Quesada/Slott tactics here.

Tony Stark being a father figure to Peter is fine...being the only father figure is not. In the comics, Peter has a variety of surrogate fathers...Captain George Stacy, Robbie Robertson, J. Jonah Jameson on his good days (being a more abusive Dad). Within the superhero community, it was Reed Richards and Captain America (who Peter in a number of comics said reminded him of his Uncle Ben). In Ultimate Spider-Man, Peter has that bond with Ultimate Fury who's basically an ambiguous guy that Peter doesn't always fawn on, and who he often rebels against and so on. Ultimate Captain America is an a--hole, while Ultimate Tony Stark is the cool uncle figure but otherwise not too close to him. Likewise, Ultimate Jonah Jameson becomes a surrogate father figure too later on, as does Ultimate Ben Urich. Spider-Man in the MCU is widely described as Robin to Tony's Batman, or Morty to Tony's Rick...just do the meme search and so on and you will know this to be true.

Mighty Member

Not really, they already answered the webbing question by showing Peter making them during class so I suspect he used school resources to make the shooters too.
    Yeah we could assume that Peter is stealing parts from his school to compress the web fluids we’ve seen him make into a compact cartridge that fits into a wrist mounted pressurized nozzle. My problem is people not questioning that but find it impossible that Pete can make something that’s glorified gym wear. The Spider-Man suit is far from the impossible to afford technological marvel that people paint it as. Like I said before, the web shooter are far more complex; thus the reasoning behind organic web shooters in Raimi’s films (though that opened its own can of worms).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Yeah we could assume that Peter is stealing parts from his school to compress the web fluids we’ve seen him make into a compact cartridge that fits into a wrist mounted pressurized nozzle. My problem is people not questioning that but find it impossible that Pete can make something that’s glorified gym wear. The Spider-Man suit is far from the impossible to afford technological marvel that people paint it as. Like I said before, the web shooter are far more complex; thus the reasoning behind organic web shooters in Raimi’s films (though that opened its own can of worms).
    Raimi's movies also show Peter being good at drawing. That famous montage of Peter drawing costume ideas on pages and so on. He has an eye for photography before being bitten.

In the comics, As a chemical engineer and so on, Peter would be familiar with graph paper, with diagrams, geometry and so on. So it's not impossible to believe that he has chops for graphical design and so on. If he's interested in biology, that weds itself to that. Making the web fluid which is basically an industrial chemical and a kind of synthetic fabric, would require someone to know all of that stuff well, you know fabrics, chemicals, dyes and so on. And the best part, all of that is stuff is there visually for you to sort out without you being told. It's all consistent and checks out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Building web-shooters is tech/engineering related. Peter's supposed to be good at those things. Building a costume requires quite a bit knowledge of tailoring, even Ultimate Spider-Man sucked at it.(he was so bad, the eye lens fell off in his first fight after sewing together the first costume by himself. The costume itself was oversized mess.)

Anyway, the problem isn't that we believe it's "impossible" for Peter to build a great comic accurate costume. Just that we also find it believable that he can't build a comic accurate costume. Although, the former requires more suspension of disbelief than the latter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Building web-shooters is tech/engineering related. Peter's supposed to be good at those things.
    The web-shooters requires the web-fluid...which is chemical and synthetic fabric material. That requires knowledge of that.

The web-shooters requires the web-fluid...which is chemical and synthetic fabric material. That requires knowledge of that.
    Pretty sure Peter is supposed to be good at science in general.

BANNED

OKay so this video totally proves that Peter Parker could have made his costume:

And that peasants don't have to depend on aristocratic patrons to make cool stuff...

OKay so this video totally proves that Peter Parker could have made his costume:

And that peasants don't have to depend on aristocratic patrons to make cool stuff...
    That looks awful. The MCU Homemade suit looks a 1000 times better than that.

BANNED

That looks awful. The MCU Homemade suit looks a 1000 times better than that.
    As the guy says at the end, this was the costume that HE made despite having limited sewing skills, resources, and stuff going dumpster diving, recycling and DIY.

Peter Parker is the chemical engineer who made a synthetic web fluid and so on. So its expected and believable that he would do DIY better than most...the point is Peter Parker could totally have made his costume in the classic era despite being poor and so on.

As the guy says at the end, this was the costume that HE made despite having limited sewing skills, resources, and stuff going dumpster diving, recycling and DIY.

Peter Parker is the chemical engineer who made a synthetic web fluid and so on. So its expected and believable that he would do DIY better than most...the point is Peter Parker could totally have made his costume in the classic era despite being poor and so on.
    Being a gifted engineer doesn’t automatically mean he has any sewing abilities.

BANNED

Being a gifted engineer doesn’t automatically mean he has any sewing abilities.
    But Spider-Man in the comics as that video shows ''does'' in fact have sewing skills, i.e. he knows how to use a needle and machine. Neither of which by the way are hard to do, both are tools sold cheaply and mass market precisely because they are cheap and easy to use.

He doesn't need to be an ace fashion designer at all.

This moronic series of arguments that Peter Parker being a peasant means he cannot sew a costume, or that somehow being knowledgable about synthetic chemicals means he should be a total amoeba about costumes is the height of circular reasoning..."I say so, your counter-arguments no matter how grounded in reason does not in anyway make me reconsider or qualify my original position".

By the way, Peter isn't an engineer. He's a chemical engineer. There's a major difference. Peter created the web-fluid, which is a liquid synthetic material that hardens into a fabric of unusual ductility. Ductility is the property of chemicals or elements to be drawn into thin wires and ever smaller forms and strands. That requires knowledge of advanced chemistry, and especially the material used to create fabrics and materials. For example Kevlar, the material used for modern combat armor in real-life, is the synthetic polymer developed by the scientist Stephanie Kwolek when she worked for Dupont Chemicals and those are synthetic fibers. So Peter Parker would have a pretty good knowledge of fabrics, materials, polymers and so on. Spandex is also a synthetic polymer you know, created by Joseph Shivers working, again, for Dupont. So the knowledge is pretty much in his wheelhouse.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 01-15-2019 at 10:57 AM. Reason: change

616 Peter has sewing skills? That’s great!
    You know who doesn’t? Ultimate Peter.

I’m not sure why you continue to argue points I’m not making. All I’m saying is that we can’t assume that Peter can make a decent costume or having any sewing abilities based on his ability to create web fluid. That’s it. I’m not claiming any fellow peasant is incapable of doing anything, just that I’m not assuming certain abilities exist because they possess other ones.

And I’ve tried sewing before, it was hard as ****. I could barely make a half decent hat, let alone a suit I’d fell comfortable wearing in any combat situation.

BANNED

If they just change Ned Leeds character or at least make him a NEW NAMED CHARACTER AND NOT an ACTUAL SPIDER-MAN CHARACTER, THEN I would not have compared the MCU Spider-man to Miles, but NO....THEY HAD TO MAKE HIM NED LEEDS EVEN THOUGH FANS OF THE SPIDER-MAN MYTHOS KNOWS WHAT HAPPEN TO THE CHARACTER.

BANNED

So Spiderverse used an older Peter. So what?
    The MCU is a live-action Medium they're not going to keep him young forever its literally impossible, and since the MCU has little problem letting its other heroes age I fail to see why Peter would suddenly be the exception.