View Poll Results: Is Homecoming drawing heavily from the Miles Morales Spider-Man comics.

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

68 52.31%
  • No/ Not really.

62 47.69%
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast
    Spectacular Member SilverSpider's Avatar

No. If anything it's closer to Ultimate Spider-Man than Miles's universe.
    Creativity is awesome.

It's a cruel world, that doesn't care for you. Which is why remember to always smile.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpider View Post
    The cartoon? Because it's not a great deal like the USM comics. Ultimate Pete was too sassy, prone to backtalk, and more intelligent than MCU Peter, and also funnier.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The cartoon? Because it's not a great deal like the USM comics. Ultimate Pete was too sassy, prone to backtalk, and more intelligent than MCU Peter, and also funnier.
    And neurotic and stressed-out as heck (granted, given what he had to deal with...).

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpider View Post
    IMHO, it's one part based on USM and one part its own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    They were both pretty darn funny, although MCU Peter did get more situational humor.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Wow, perfectly deadlocked.

BANNED

Yes from the "Ganke" like Ned Leeds to the diverse supporting cast and also the more tech suit that was given to him by a superhero....I can see some similarities to miles.

pinknemo13

this is so perfect! kudos! get-9apps.com cartoonhd

Astonishing Member

Sadly, MCU Peter is so much like Miles Morales you could argue he is a whitewash. And even if he isn't, he is still the least inclusive version of Spider-Man. By stealing so much from Miles, the MCU has put up more barriers to eventually including a black Spider-Man.

I'm surprised there isn't more outrage over it. Particularly since a decent amount of people wanted Miles over Peter initially. I'm guessing it's because MCU Peter is based off of Bendis' Miles, who is really just a diluted Peter Parker. If Into The Spider-Verse and Saladin Ahmed's run came out prior to the Sony deal, and the MCU would have stole from those versions of Miles, then it would be more noticeable.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 05-16-2020 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Sadly, MCU Peter is so much like Miles Morales you could argue he is a whitewash. And even if he isn't, he is still the least inclusive version of Spider-Man. By stealing so much from Miles, the MCU has put up more barriers to eventually including a black Spider-Man.

I'm surprised there isn't more outrage over it. Particularly since a decent amount of people wanted Miles over Peter initially. I'm guessing it's because MCU Peter is based off of Bendis' Miles, who is really just a diluted Peter Parker. If Into The Spider-Verse and Saladin Ahmed's run came out prior to the Sony deal, and the MCU would have stole from those versions of Miles, then it would be more noticeable.
    If Spider-man was always a black guy that might be come controversy.

What you're asking for is that people get upset about whitewashing a black guy who was black copy of a white guy.

As for people wanting Miles instead of Peter, I think you might be misremembering the huge reaction Donald Glover got when he said he wanted to play Spider-man. There was a ton of people pushing for Don to be Spider-man, but I can't recall any big wave of people demanding Miles.

Miles wasn't even created until after Glover made his statement. It's was basically Bendis lacking on to internet trends and going "you wanted a black guy as Spider-man? Here's a black Spider-man for you!"
    Last edited by Alan2099; 12-11-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Astonishing Member

There were some people who wanted Miles over Peter in 2015 when the Sony deal was announced. It was a small but very vocal minority. They even made petitions.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 05-17-2020 at 09:19 AM.

Amazing Member

This has been a very interesting discussion for the most part. I've read a lot of it. I do think that it borrowed a lot of elements from Miles Morales' backstory and that kind of made it a bit difficult for me to enjoy the movie.

I saw an earlier post (circa 2016) basically attack someone as ridiculous for suggesting that Miles Morales would have drawn in a lot of people for the diversity he would have represented. Well, if the massive success of Black Panther has now taught us anything, it is that people are craving more diversity in these movies. Specifically in leading, superhero roles. Homecoming obviously did very well for itself. Regardless of whether you believe in the borrowing from Miles' stories or not, however, I strongly suspect that this movie would have done even better had it starred Miles Morales for that very reason. What a wasted opportunity for Sony to really do something different. But it is what it is.
    Last edited by katie_girl09; 12-10-2020 at 01:48 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by katie_girl09 View Post
    This has been a very interesting discussion for the most part. I've read a lot of it. I do think that it borrowed a lot of elements from Miles Morales' backstory and that kind of made it a bit difficult for me to enjoy the movie.

I saw an earlier post (circa 2016) basically attack someone as ridiculous for suggesting that Miles Morales would have drawn in a lot of people for the diversity he would have represented. Well, if the massive success of Black Panther has now taught us anything, it is that people are craving more diversity in these movies. Specifically in leading, superhero roles. Homecoming obviously did very well for itself. Regardless of whether you believe in the borrowing from Miles' stories or not, however, I strongly suspect that this movie would have done even better had it starred Miles Morales for that very reason. What a wasted opportunity for Sony to really do something different. But it is what it is.
    No, people are craving for a BIG NAME superhero. Peter Parker's name is as big as Spider-Man's. That's why they used it. They could use a PoC Peter, but Miles would be dead in the water.
    Last edited by PCN24454; 12-12-2020 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    No, people are craving for a BIG NAME superhero. Peter Parker's name is as big as Spider-Man's. That's why they used it. They could use a PoC Peter, but Miles was dead in the water.
    Based on what?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Based on what?
    It takes a lot of time for a character to build up notoriety even with company pushes. Miles' name was too green to be used on its own. That's why lots of media still make sure to attach him to Peter before they let him stand on his own.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    No, people are craving for a BIG NAME superhero. Peter Parker's name is as big as Spider-Man's. That's why they used it. They could use a PoC Peter, but Miles would be dead in the water.
    Oh, yes. Because the general public definitely knew what the hell a Scott Lang (Ant Man) was before he had a movie. And Iron Man was TOTES as recognizable a property as Spider Man and the X-Men before the MCU. This is such a silly argument that people always seem to trot out in order to justify excluding characters they don't like. Or in this case, denying the positive impact of diversity in movies. Before he started appearing in the MCU, I'm willing to bet that most of the movie-going public didn't know who the hell Black Panther was. Same with a lot of the MCU characters. Because the vast majority of people who watch movies are not comic book readers. It doesn't stop them from being smash hits at the box office though. And one of the big draws for BP was the Afrofuturism as well as the promise of something different. If you think that had nothing to do with its success, you are just plain wrong.
    Last edited by katie_girl09; 12-12-2020 at 01:20 PM.