View Poll Results: Is Homecoming drawing heavily from the Miles Morales Spider-Man comics.

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

68 52.31%
  • No/ Not really.

62 47.69%
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    BANNED

No because Miles is not his own character. He's merely an extension of the Spider-man brand, a brand that belongs to Peter, a brand that is synonymous with Peter and a brand that Peter made famous. If Miles wants to be his own man then he should get himself a new set of powers and identity and then we can have an argument about Peter stealing his stuff.
    If Marvel debuted a white Black Panther and took some of the things that worked with him and gave him to T'Challa then I wouldn't have any problem with that either. This is what happens when you're a legacy character or a part of more famous brand. It has its advantages but it also has its disadvantages.

Except Miles IS his own character. He's not a Peter Parker clone just because he has similar powers. You do a disservice to the character to try to act like he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    But they aren't using the Gwen from the Ultimate Universe, Miles is hooking up with Spider-Gwen, someone he barely (if at all) had any interaction with during Spiderverse. So it's basically a blank slate.
    I honestly think that's just a red herring to set up his eventual get together with Ultimate Gwen.

But they are using this to kind of gauge response and test the waters as comics do.

Now in my own personal fanfictiony mind the Ultimate Gwen while Miles is away contracts the venom symbiosis and becomes Venom. Cause why tf not at this point. But it does add a dynamic that again separates miles from Peter particularly if his venom is Gwen Stacy.

Probably would be a lot more interesting than what Marvel does with Black Cat but even so I doubt theyd do it right.

You can make just about any story work with the proper writing. Buut...proper writing...

Or maybe I'm just an evil sod that would like to just see a comic series end after the thing he has with Spider-Gwen is what convinces him to pursue something with the Gwen in his world because that's the true Gwen he has feelings for...

Only on the next page for it to be revealed ultimate Gwen has a venom problem... just cliffhangers like that which rip apart happy endings or complicate them lol.

Yeah I'm probably evil
    Last edited by Majesty; 12-25-2016 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Except Miles IS his own character. He's not a Peter Parker clone just because he has similar powers. You do a disservice to the character to try to act like he is.
    Please it's a disservice to Peter to say miles is a clone Peter actually has interesting qualities and traits of his own hell Peter's actual clones have more character than miles.

From my experience, when in costume, there's not much to differentiate Miles from the original Spider-Man.

Out of costume, Miles is presented as a nice, polite kid, but not much else beyond that. Giving him a low-key personality doesn't really work, IMHO. Then, tie that into the fact that the defining trait of Miles is that he's the replacement Spider-Man, you get a character that doesn't really stand up on his own.

Miles may well be his own character, but I think there's a reason he hasn't caught on the way the original did.

Astonishing Member

Not only are they doing a disservice to Miles' character directly, they are also doing a disservice to Peter's character indirectly, not to mention the disservice going about that does to themselves, and on more than one front at that.

Barely. So far Miles personality attributes that distinguish him from Peter is that he's more introverted, not as talkative and jokey as Peter, and after several years Bendis finally added some more pathos to the character with Miles worrying that his father's DNA will make him a criminal.

Part of me wants the 616 Miles Morales to show up and be a super crook just to see Miles reaction to it.

I hope one day Bendis surrenders his control of Miles. I still feel Miles would develop better in the hands of other writers.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERlips View Post
    Even if there would be no Miles without Peter, Miles has his own book with its own cast. He has similar powers and responsibilities to Peter, but that's where the similarities end.

Peter/Miles:

Dead parents (and uncle)/parents alive
    Job/charter school
    Big mouth/introvert
    Science genius/average intelligence
    Kept Spider-Man a secret from everyone for years/confided in best friend pretty much immediately
    Had no superhero mentor or role model/Has multiple superhero mentors and role models

These characters and their respective stories and situations are different enough that yes, it's obvious when one element from Miles' life is lifted and gifted to Peter.

Did you seriously just suggest it's about race? Like, really?

For me, it wouldn't matter if Miles is white, black, Asian, Hispanic, whatever. He has his book and Peter has his. Miles has his supporting cast, and Peter has his. Ganke is a member of Miles' supporting cast. Ganke is unique to Miles, as Spideys go. Marvel lifted this character from Miles' book and transferred him to be Peter's best friend in the movie instead. Good or bad, right or wrong, it literally happened. Period.

Some people don't like this idea. Maybe they hope for Miles to eventually be in a movie on his own (yes, it's okay for people to like Miles this much, even while being essentially colorblind), and this takes away from his supporting cast. Maybe they just like adaptations to be a little more faithful. Maybe they see it as disrespectful to the character or idea of Miles. Whatever the reasons, each person has their own opinion with their own rationale.

You coming in and suggesting that everybody that dislikes Ganke being ganked only feels that way because of race is, well, narrow-minded and prejudiced, at the very least. You should be ashamed.
    I feel we should add Miguel O'Hara into the mix.

Miguel is half Spanish (Mexican) and so is Miles (Puertorican)

Miguel went a Alchemax run school for gifted children. Miles goes to a charter school.

Miguel had a bad fatherly influence (both his biological evil corparation dad and step dad). Miles dad was a crook (then became an Agent of Shield (secret government agent you say? Like Peter's parents you say?) Seriously why is it okay for Miles dad to be SHIELD but Peter's parents being CIA is a no no in the now defunct Ultimateverse. Eh I digress.

Both Miguel and Miles have strong Hispanic mothers. Mile's grandmother reminds me of a sane version of Miguel's actually.

The relationship Miles has with Ganke is very similar to the relationship Miguel has with his half-brother Gabriel (Gabriel knows Miguel is Spider-Man and has helped him out).

So yeah we should defenitly include Miguel in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Not only are they doing a disservice to Miles' character directly, they are also doing a disservice to Peter's character indirectly, not to mention the disservice going about that does to themselves, and on more than one front at that.
    Huh?

I don't know, all I can say is that I've liked what I've seen of the MCU Spider-Man and Peter Parker and it looks like it'll be a good time.

BANNED

If he were his own character he wouldn't be called spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    If he were his own character he wouldn't be called spider-Man.
    He's called Spider-man. He's got the abilities of Spider-man. He got his powers from Spider-man. His inspiration is Spider-man.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    He's called Spider-man. He's got the abilities of Spider-man. He got his powers from Spider-man. His inspiration is Spider-man.
    I think the larger question is, can Spider-Man be a legacy mantle, like Flash or Green Lantern?

Personally, I think no, because the mantle is too tied into Peter's life personally and there's no line of succession, like how Robin could grow and become the second Batman.* Now, I don't find Miles to be an offensive successor, but I do think that the idea he's based on (a successor Spider-Man) is flawed and doesn't work with this franchise.

*The couple exceptions to this point would be Peter Parker's daughter (whether it be Mayday or Annie), since they have an obvious connection to Spider-Man and a good reason to take up the webbing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I think the larger question is, can Spider-Man be a legacy mantle, like Flash or Green Lantern?
    I am absolutely certain it can, and it was long before Miles Morales came along.

But I do not believe that legacy character are ever their own character. They're characters that wouldn't even exist without the legacy.

BANNED

No he really is not. If he was his own character he'd call himself something else and get a different costume and a different set of powers. The differences in story are irrelevant. Miles is completely dependent on Spider-Man brand. Take JPV for example, no one in their right mind is going to make a movie with him as Batman, TDKR completely overlooked him. At best they might borrow some ideas and give them to Jason Todd. However even JPV went on to become Azrael and got himself a new look, new powers etc so despite having slim chances there is a possibility someone might be interested in using him as Azrael. Miles needs to go through a similar transition if he has any hope. Why should Marvel bet on him over Peter? and if he has one or two good things like Ganke then obviously they'll give them to Peter because they think the rest of him can't cut it.
    Last edited by darkseidpwns; 12-27-2016 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I am absolutely certain it can, and it was long before Miles Morales came along.
    Why do you think he can? I've never really heard anyone explain that before.