View Poll Results: Is Homecoming drawing heavily from the Miles Morales Spider-Man comics.

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

68 52.31%
  • No/ Not really.

62 47.69%
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

The prejudice towards Miles from Peter fans is really unnerving.

He's not his own character because he's in the spider-man umbrella of franchises? It's just such a distasteful thing to say, if you don't like the character then you don't like the character but that doesn't erase than Mile IS his own character, and has enough degrees of separation from Peter to have his own fan base and stories and personality.

The idea that it's fine to take from Miles because he's also in the Spider-man umbrella of franchises is just gross, he has his own franchise with his own elements and you shouldn't be able to just take large chunks of them, file the serial numbers off and give them to Peter. I don't get why more people aren't irritated that Peter is being made a hybrid of comic Peter in character but Miles in terms of his life and set up.

BANNED

So if I create an Arab character named Muhammad Bin Hassan and give his Spider-Mans powers, costume and name deliberately to capitalize on Spider-Man s iconography then I'm obviously making an original character folks Right RIGHT? If I do it without being a Marvel employee I'd be sued clean.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I'm a Peter fan and I'm not prejudice towards Miles in any way. Hell, I enjoy his book more than ASM at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I think the larger question is, can Spider-Man be a legacy mantle, like Flash or Green Lantern?
    It already is. You have Peter Parker, Ben Reilly, Spider-Girl, 2099, Miles, SpOck and Spider-Gwen. Spider-Man comics are only tied to Peter Parker because he's the main character in them. Early Flash comics were entirely based around Jay Garrick but that didn't stop Flash becoming a legacy character.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    The idea that it's fine to take from Miles because he's also in the Spider-man umbrella of franchises is just gross, he has his own franchise with his own elements and you shouldn't be able to just take large chunks of them, file the serial numbers off and give them to Peter. I don't get why more people aren't irritated that Peter is being made a hybrid of comic Peter in character but Miles in terms of his life and set up.
    He doesn't have his own franchise. He's part of the Spider-Man franchise which Parker is also part of.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    It already is. You have Peter Parker, Ben Reilly, Spider-Girl, 2099, Miles, SpOck and Spider-Gwen. Spider-Man comics are only tied to Peter Parker because he's the main character in them. Early Flash comics were entirely based around Jay Garrick but that didn't stop Flash becoming a legacy character.
    But I'm don't think those legacy characters work. Ben Reilly, Miles, and "SpOck" at least.

Also the whole "Miles is moe introverted etc etc" talk..that's why he has Ganke and their dynamic so great and special and works so well.

Which is why IT MAKES EVEN LESS SENSE FOR PETER TO HAVE HIM AND EVEN MORE POINTLESS FOR THEM RIP OFF HIM AND HAND IT TO PETER.

Gane works with Miles because of how they play off each other because of Miles personality alongside Ganke's.

So actually that makes it worse that homecoming just handed the character to Peter with literally NO reason as to why Peter needs a Gankes character.

For Miles? Yes. For Peter? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Also the whole "Miles is moe introverted etc etc" talk..that's why he has Ganke and their dynamic so great and special and works so well.

Which is why IT MAKES EVEN LESS SENSE FOR PETER TO HAVE HIM AND EVEN MORE POINTLESS FOR THEM RIP OFF HIM AND HAND IT TO PETER.

Gane works with Miles because of how they play off each other because of Miles personality alongside Ganke's.

So actually that makes it worse that homecoming just handed the character to Peter with literally NO reason as to why Peter needs a Gankes character.

Well, let's see how the movie plays off. The Ultimate comics did show Peter having someone to talk to about his lot in life. Granted that was Mary Jane and not a male friend, but it could work. From the trailer, Peter and Ned seem to play off each other well.

Also, when I read the Miles comic, I've found that Ganke dominates the conversation and makes Miles look even more bland. Case in point, Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man #1. As part of that story, Miles is trying to decide whether to tell his girlfriend that he's a superhero, getting unsolicited advice from Ganke before he decides to ask Mary Jane Watson, who has experience with this kind of relationship.

Miles is the one who needs to make a decision, yet it's far more interesting to read about what the conversations show about the other characters, whether it be Ganke having ulterior motivations wanting Miles to keep it a secret, to getting more perspective from MJ on her and Peter's relationship and what it meant to her that he trusted her that much.

I guess the point I'm making is that if Miles is that bland, it doesn't matter who he's paired with, he's still not interesting. If "Ganke" and Peter are both interesting, putting them together will probably make for better scenes. What say you?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post

Isn't classic teenage Peter Parker one of the most introverted characters in history of fiction when not wearing his costume?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Isn't classic teenage Peter Parker one of the most introverted characters in history of fiction when not wearing his costume?
    No.

Even in his first appearance, he is asking girls out and inviting other kids to a science exhibit. He gets no respect, but he's not introverted.

BANNED

They went with a teenage Peter in contemporary America. Miles was conceived that way by Bendis from the get go. Hence the whole magnet school thing. Miles not being defined as a classic nerd. So I think that's why MCI holland feels like Miles. It does smack like vampirism. You know established white character sucking the blood of a popular Afro-Latino hero to appeal to new audiences. I liked Homecoming but I had problems with them treating Miles like a content farm. To me Teenage Peter died when Miles arrived. To me the world isn't big for two teenage Spider-Men. I think Peter should be grown up and established going forward.

Well...he's definitely not Ultimate Peter, which you would think he would be with the Ultimate Spider-Man influences.

Off the top of my head on the stuff I think MCU Peter has more in common with Miles:

- He's not a rapid-fire quipper like most versions of Peter Parker are, more like how Bendis handles Miles' quips.

- Most of his gear, including his official costume, is a hand-me-down, like Miles' was.

- Teen Avenger.

- His Spider-Man is popular and not misunderstood and vilified as a menace. That's more of a Miles thing.

- He doesn't have to worry about his family's bills and isn't unpopular at his school (IE, typical Peter Parker problems).

- Ganke, obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    They went with a teenage Peter in contemporary America. Miles was conceived that way by Bendis from the get go. Hence the whole magnet school thing. Miles not being defined as a classic nerd. So I think that's why MCI holland feels like Miles. It does smack like vampirism. You know established white character sucking the blood of a popular Afro-Latino hero to appeal to new audiences. I liked Homecoming but I had problems with them treating Miles like a content farm. To me Teenage Peter died when Miles arrived. To me the world isn't big for two teenage Spider-Men. I think Peter should be grown up and established going forward.
    I mean, there are many varieties of teenagers, I think Marvel Studios just wanted a Spider-Man that could fit in as a teen Avenger, which Miles is.

Watts had said he's a fan of Ultimate Spider-Man but it seems like what he's read is predominantly Miles stuff.

Or it could just be that they were so focused on doing a different kind of Spider-Man then the last few movies that they based their version of Peter off a different version of Spider-Man.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

No. I’ve never watched MCU Spider-man and thought “hey! That’s Miles Morales !!”. He’s a modern version of teenage (Ultimate) Peter Parker that fits within the MCU.

Not this again.

No he is clearly Peter but they clearly borrowed from Miles which is okay because Miles borrowed from Peter. Only gripe it is that makes setting up Miles a little more difficult in live action. But they probably had no intention of bring Miles to live action but into the spiderverse was a game changer makes them see the full value of Miles.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Not this again.
    I know, this train of thought is so annoying.