View Poll Results: Is Homecoming drawing heavily from the Miles Morales Spider-Man comics.

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

68 52.31%
  • No/ Not really.

62 47.69%
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

They are definitely ripping off some large aspects of miles story

Hes not "white mikes" but they did 96% dash any hopes of miles showing up in spidey 5 or anything.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Possible, but given the school merch on the wall, the bunk bed and the two desks, i think dorm is most likely. Not sure why Ganke would have a bunk bed with the top bunk not made up. The scenario and props fit Ganke being his room mate at the start of a new school year in whatever private school the Stark grant got Peter into.

It's serves the MCU's purpose sure, but it's still incredibly similar to Miles's story. And it's harder to shrug off given they took Miles's best friend, gave him a white name and stuck him in the same movie as Peter.

You don't think it's suspect they have 50+ years of multiple Peter Parker centric continuity to mine and they chose to take elements from Miles's books, the one character who was campaigned hard for for being MCU's Spider-Man? It feels like a MCU solid "we aren't ever doing it, but we'll use Miles's stuff just to dash your hopes"
    While I get some concern from miles fans , I honestly believe that the character was included to avoid harry osborne due to overruse in the previous films. The movie clearly wanted diversity in the supporting characters in order to more accurately show queens. I think they probably wanted to avoid using harry and increase diversity in the film and saw this as the best route. I highly doubt they wanted to maliciously send a message to miles fans.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

I don't think they're going to turn this into a Miles story, I just think it's disrespectful how they've ignored all the Peter continuity to just lift things from Miles's books. It's like passing a whole isle of perfectly good stuff so you can take the kind there's only one left of and someone is already reaching for it.
    Well, they are including plenty of Peter stuff outside of using Ganke, as pointed out by regg215.

Again, I'm not a fan of the Ganke thing either nor am I supporting it.

Nor am I a fan of making Peter into Iron Man's protege or having a teched out Spider-Suit, but those I don't attribute to lifting stuff from Miles and moreso just the MCU trying to do their own thing in adapting Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    They are definitely ripping off some large aspects of miles story

Hes not "white mikes" but they did 96% dash any hopes of miles showing up in spidey 5 or anything.
    Honestly, I think the fact that they're going with a young Peter Parker, and are likely going to focus on and let him grow as Spider-Man throughout the MCU, probably already hurt Miles' chances of showing up in the MCU.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    While I get some concern from miles fans , I honestly believe that the character was included to avoid harry osborne due to overruse in the previous films. The movie clearly wanted diversity in the supporting characters in order to more accurately show queens. I think they probably wanted to avoid using harry and increase diversity in the film and saw this as the best route. I highly doubt they wanted to maliciously send a message to miles fans.
    There are plenty of other characters they could have used or even race bent, they've shown they've no problem doing that. Stealing from another franchise feels like a clear message that Miles isn't happening ever.

There are plenty of other characters they could have used or even race bent, they've shown they've no problem doing that. Stealing from another franchise feels like a clear message that Miles isn't happening ever.
    Well, it's still the same franchise. This isn't Iron Man stealing Mary Jane .

That being said, I agree there were other characters they could've used.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, it's still the same franchise. This isn't Iron Man stealing Mary Jane .

That being said, I agree there were other characters they could've used.
    It's all in the Spider franchise but I'd say that Miles and Parker are pretty distinctive franchises apart now. Just like Spider-woman and Spider-Gwen.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, they are including plenty of Peter stuff outside of using Ganke, as pointed out by regg215.

Again, I'm not a fan of the Ganke thing either nor am I supporting it.

Nor am I a fan of making Peter into Iron Man's protege or having a teched out Spider-Suit, but those I don't attribute to lifting stuff from Miles and moreso just the MCU trying to do their own thing in adapting Spider-Man.
    They are playing down Parker's ability quite a bit, only thing he's done to show his intellect is dumpster dive and make web shooters. His suit being customised again by Stark in the movie once again takes away from Parker's intellect. There's no reason he couldn't have done that upgrade himself.

Which again, if they're playing down his intellect he's a lot more like Miles who is rather average or on the upper end of intelligence, not a genius like Parker is MEANT to be.

They are playing down Parker's ability quite a bit, only thing he's done to show his intellect is dumpster dive and make web shooters. His suit being customised again by Stark in the movie once again takes away from Parker's intellect. There's no reason he couldn't have done that upgrade himself.

Which again, if they're playing down his intellect he's a lot more like Miles who is rather average or on the upper end of intelligence, not a genius like Parker is MEANT to be.
    There was also him admiring Falcon and Bucky's tech during the airplane fight, and they did make it a point that he came up with the web fluid on his own and is as clever as comic!Peter generally is (like how he took down Giant-Man).

I think they're actually going to re-emphasize his intellect compared to how much they downplayed it with Garfield (so Gwen could be the "smart one"). If he's actually at a special school with Ganke and the other students, I imagine it'll be because he's a smart kid with a possible grant from Tony that lets him attend school.

Heck, Peter being smart is apparently why MCU!Flash hates him, since he's an academic rival.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    It's an adaptation, they combine numerous parts of the source material together. Just like how the DCAU gave Wally and Kyle the origin stories from Barry and Hal, this film is taking parts of the Miles Morales comics, mainly in the form of Ganke.

So if anything Sam Jackson is the one getting screwed here.
    Pretty much everything I wanted to point out. It's an adaptation, so not everything is gonna add up and some things are gonna be left out or changed.

Might as well move on.

Here's a list of similarities that someone compiled, make of it what you will but I agree with them.
    http://www.blerdsonline.com/2016/12/...coming-is.html

For what it's worth, Ganke isn't the only one who got another character's name - there's another character who looks suspiciously like Gwen.

The overreaction caused by this trailer is so indicative of all the fights that happen between marvel comic fans right now. Feels like when it comes to characters being cast in superhero films it a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. If they had cast a overweight blond haired white kid as ned leeds, none of these arguments would be happening but then the film would get ripped for not being diverse enough. While part of me gets some of the concerns that Miles fans have, it seems a little ridiculous that people are acting like a Spider-Man movie featuring Peter Parker is somehow ripping off Miles. The villains and even the Spider-Man name are all by definition Peter's. While I don't personally feel this way given that Miles is a legacy character his whole Identity as Spider-Man could be seen by some as ripping off Peter and using Peter's popularity to make him relevant.

To be honest I feel like the MCU's tendency to lift material from the Ultimate line of comics (Sam Jackson Nick Fury and a married Hawkeye being the most obvious instances) is why this character is being added to the film. Obviously based on things said by Sony and the fact that the majority of the audience will be people who are not avid comic book readers they were going to use Peter Parker. The filmmakers may have liked the idea of a Ganke type character and added him into the mix. They probably wanted to avoid using Harry and might have seen adding a Ganke type character to the film as a way to differentiate between MCU movies and previous films.

Comic book movies and adaptations seem to take a ton of different elements from the comics and add it to the movies, regardless of the era of comics it was used in. If you look at the "Flash" tv show on the CW a ton of the material on there has been taken from the Wally West era of comics and has been given to Barry Allen, but the show is also introducing Wally West and adding him as a character to the show. The same thing could happen here with Miles. I think Miles is a great character, I have absolutely no problem with him at all, but the definitive part of his origin is him taking the place of peter and living up to Peter's legacy, that clearly won't happen in this movie but the only way there could ever really be a proper Miles movie would be to have Peter be established as Spider-Man first, so I don't see how this movie could in any way be seen as preventing a future miles movie. They could easily eventually have "Ned Leeds" befriend Miles in a future film starring Miles.
    Last edited by regg215; 12-10-2016 at 07:12 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    The overreaction caused by this trailer is so indicative of all the fights that happen between marvel comic fans right now. Feels like when it comes to characters being cast in superhero films it a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. If they had cast a overweight blond haired white kid as ned leeds, none of these arguments would be happening but then the film would get ripped for not being diverse enough. While part of me gets some of the concerns that Miles fans have, it seems a little ridiculous that people are acting like a Spider-Man movie featuring Peter Parker is somehow ripping off Miles. The villains and even the Spider-Man name are all by definition Peter's. While I don't personally feel this way given that Miles is a legacy character his whole Identity as Spider-Man could be seen by some as ripping off Peter and using Peter's popularity to make him relevant.
    You're right, when it comes to diversifying the cast the options really are white people and the spitting image of Miles Morales's best friend. Not much diversity in the world at all. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    For what it's worth, Ganke isn't the only one who got another character's name - there's another character who looks suspiciously like Gwen.
    Funny enough, the two name hijackers are husband and wife in the comics... go figure.

You're right, when it comes to diversifying the cast the options really are white people and the spitting image of Miles Morales's best friend. Not much diversity in the world at all. :P
    They obviously could have gone a different route with casting other than the spitting image of Miles best friend and while this certainly can be seen as Marvel taking an element from Miles stories and adding to a Peter Parker story, I don't think that this was the MCU sticking it to Miles fans and essentially saying "you will never get a miles movie and everything good from Miles is being given to Peter". Having a Ganke type character was probably something the writers wanted and they added that to the film. There is no reason that the presence of Ned leeds in this movie will somehow prevent them from eventually making a Miles movie with a similiar character who is actually named Ganke.

How is this even a discussion?

Is Spider-man taking things from a Miles comic? You know, that other guy who's whole things is that he's that other Spider-man?

It's Spider-man's. It's his to take. The worst thing you can accuse him of it taking something back.