View Poll Results: Is Homecoming drawing heavily from the Miles Morales Spider-Man comics.

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

68 52.31%
  • No/ Not really.

62 47.69%
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

No, Peter Parker and his world is "Spider-Man". Miles is character within that world. He's also pretty similar to Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    They'll probably never use Miles now because his origin story would just seem a rehash of homecoming and all the unique aspects that make him different are being handed to Peter...
    What made Miles unique was talking on the ceiling, getting his suit from someone else in a suitcase and having LEGOs get destroyed when his identity is revealed? It's also not "ripping off" when you own the property you're ripping off.

What they're doing is what adaptations of The Flash, Green Lantern and Nick Fury do (as well as the whole MCU Avengers, which is a real mix between 616 and Ultimates), merge numerous incarnations of the character together because it's an adaptation, not a translation of some niche comic books most of the audience has never read.

Homecoming is just taking part of Mile's world (Ganke) and putting him in Peter's world. Just like the Flash show had Barry date Linda Park for a while. The rest of the comparisons are reaching at best. Crawling on the ceiling? Not something Miles started. Getting his suit from someone else? That's just a way to tie it into Iron Man and it's a minor detail anyway.

No because literally everything about Miles is derivative of Peter Parker. Miles wouldn't even exist without Ultimate Peter Parker. And Ultimate Peter Parker would not exist without 616 Peter Parker.

The point is there's no reason to have drawn anything from Miles' story. Peter has fifty years worth of stories and character interactions and choosing to draw from a character with only five years makes Peter look like a weaker character than he actually is. It also shows a lack a of faith in Peter's stories to be enjoyable on the big screen, who cares if the other movies have already had most of Peter's main cast? (It's not like we won't be seeing them all eventually anyway) If they wrote it well it would still be amazing and it could be entirely in line with Peter's actual high school experience. Plus we wouldn't be seeing Iron Man sharing a place in Peter's life that should only be occupied by Uncle Ben.

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

I AM SOOOOOOO PUMPED FOR THIS FILM!!!!, I need reign in my excitement in case it ain't as good as it looks.
    The trailer is a 10/10 for me. I've watched it about x50 already.
    The mind boggles at what they could do with Tom in this role going fwd.... I hope we get at least 6 solo films.
    I'd like to see them build toward a Sinister Six showdown and see Norman/Goblin done right (classic mask etc).

Tom Holland seems to nail both PP & SM way better than the previous actors, and Keaton as Toomes looks badass and scary.
    The bank scene with the goons was so good, I mean that wasn't like watching an actor.... That WAS Spider-Man.
    I wasn't thrilled about the changes PP's supporting cast, but if they handle that stuff half as well as the rest of the film looks I won't care.

I don't see the Leeds/Ganke issue to be a problem. Yes, they have directly lifted that from MM, but it's their source material they can do what they want.
    That was obviously an aspect of the MM comics that was well received, so they've pasted it in to give PP a high school buddy since he never really had any. It's a bit weird calling him Ned Leeds tho, but whatever.

I get that the MM fans are annoyed, but I don't think that means they will never do a MM film.
    It just means it probably won't happen for a long time, which is as it should be.
    Peter Parker will always be the true/most popular/definitive & by far best incarnation of Spider-Man, so obviously his story comes first.
    On the other hand, y'never know, they may bring MM in in phase 4 and have em co-exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    Homecoming is just taking part of Mile's world (Ganke) and putting him in Peter's world. Just like the Flash show had Barry date Linda Park for a while. The rest of the comparisons are reaching at best. Crawling on the ceiling? Not something Miles started. Getting his suit from someone else? That's just a way to tie it into Iron Man and it's a minor detail anyway.
    Tony has done it before anyways.

Attachment 42492

Attachment 42493

The Russo brothers really wanted Spidey in Captain America: Civil War, and in the comics Spidey's involvement in the storyline was pretty significant. So Tony becoming a teenage Peter's benefactor in the MCU is a logical development. He's a wealthy celebrity, and he needs an excuse to recruit Spider-Man. Visiting Aunt May and implying that her nephew had applied for a foundation grant is a way to do that without raising any suspicions. It's not the same as winning a lottery to attend a charter school. (Has it actually been confirmed that Peter is going to a better school than the one he was attending prior to Stark's visit?)

BANNED

It's pretty obvious the Ned Leeds character in SMH (funny abbreviation, I just noticed) is based on Ganke. They probably didn't want to call him Ganke because they couldn't figure out how to pronounce it.

Rip-off? I won't go that far.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

More people are starting to notice it

Glad to see it gaining some traction.

Miles going to phone She-Hulk is he?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    The point is there's no reason to have drawn anything from Miles' story. Peter has fifty years worth of stories and character interactions and choosing to draw from a character with only five years makes Peter look like a weaker character than he actually is. It also shows a lack a of faith in Peter's stories to be enjoyable on the big screen, who cares if the other movies have already had most of Peter's main cast? (It's not like we won't be seeing them all eventually anyway) If they wrote it well it would still be amazing and it could be entirely in line with Peter's actual high school experience. Plus we wouldn't be seeing Iron Man sharing a place in Peter's life that should only be occupied by Uncle Ben.
    I don't disagree with this.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I think it's pretty clearly borrowing elements from Bendis' comic. I don't see why people are being obtuse or offended over it getting pointed out. It's no different than the Justice League cartoon mixing elements of Barry and Wally into the Flash, or the live action Flash show blending elements from both characters.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

can't wait for marvel to sue marvel over this
    troo fan or death

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

LOL. That was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    It's pretty obvious the Ned Leeds character in SMH (funny abbreviation, I just noticed) is based on Ganke. They probably didn't want to call him Ganke because they couldn't figure out how to pronounce it.
    This is such an ignorant statement people keep saying, it seems people (usually white people) with "european" names have such a need to be babied when it comes to pronouncing anything not european, it's also wildly suspicious that if a white person has a complicated name other white people can afford to learn how to pronounce that name, but as soon as it's on another race it's just too hard to learn~

If you're not gonna learn how to pronounce someone's name, you don't respect them cause if you did you would suck it up and learn how to pronounce it.

And if the reason why Marvel didn't name the character Ganke isn't b/c their balls shriveled up and they couldn't own up to their decision and it's instead this ignorant crap then they don't respect/like the character of Ganke they just mined the character from Miles just b/c.