View Poll Results: Is Homecoming drawing heavily from the Miles Morales Spider-Man comics.

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

68 52.31%
  • No/ Not really.

62 47.69%
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    More people are starting to notice it

Glad to see it gaining some traction.
    This was a really cool video.

She really put the nail in the coffin that Peter is def going to a charter school, which is completely lifted from Miles.

I Don't care If Homecoming ripping of Miles

What Matter to me is How marvel/sony make Homecoming "The Right One" Spiderman movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    This was a really cool video.

She really put the nail in the coffin that Peter is def going to a charter school, which is completely lifted from Miles.
    I don't know it if's lifted from Miles, as much as more realistic for a smart kid in New York City in 2017.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't know it if's lifted from Miles, as much as more realistic for a smart kid in New York City in 2017.
    Considering they've lifted his room mate and a scene between them from the comic, seems fair to conclude they also lifted Miles being at charter school.

Only real difference there is that Miles isn't being bankrolled by Tony Stark.

They did ripoff Ganke with Ned but im curious if in future movies they bring in the reporter angle or him being framed as Hobgoblin.

I dont really see other "Miles" specific aspects. The charter school angle could be one but thats more forgiveable than Ganke/Ned.

Really don't get the angle that this is somehow ripping off all of miles stories or origins. While yes the Ned leeds character is ganke, and the lego scene is from the comics, is Miles origin/legacy and storyline really based solely on having ganke as a friend and legos breaking. I mean based on the reaction of some you would think that Peter stole Miles costume, power-set and family. I get people who say that they shouldn't have taken anything from Miles since Peter has ton of material to mine from the comics but people acting like somehow now that we have seen dropping legos and a duplicate of Miles best friend makes the whole movie a rip off makes no sense. To me the essence of Miles origin is that he is taking the place and honoring the legacy of Peter after he dies and has a uncle who was a criminal. None of that is taken from him based on this trailer. Honestly the presence of Donald Glover in the film(who would make and excellent Hobie Brown) and the fact that Peter has to be Spider-Man first in order for Miles to take his place, would set this up for Miles possibly being added to the MCU, not being removed altogether. I can't believe that if Miles never gets a movie it will be because the executives at Sony and Marvel go " dang we already used ganke and the lego scene, so we can't ever use Miles".
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Yes he is.

It's actually really annoying as I'm sure plenty would rather have Miles or Peter and not Peter/Miles hybrid.

yep, I'd rather they actually have Miles Morales as the lead as opposed to going

"No we can't have Miles Morales lead a Spider-Man film. Let's give all that is fresh and new about Miles and just give it all to Peter Parker."

That disgusts me tbh.

You have freaking Abraham Attah cast in the darn film, one of the greatest young black talents in Hollywood

There was your Miles Morales! You already had the cast, the script, the people in place. Seriously, replace Tom Holland with Abraham Attah as Miles Morales and this trailer is about as perfect a Miles Morales movie you get in live action as it gets.

Then you had Donald Glover, someone whom raised ears years ago when they speculated he could play Miles but is too old to do so now. You could have done a BRILLIANT nod to the web by casting him as The Prowler

It was ALL there... ALL laid out for Marvel if they wanted to do a Miles Morales movie and do it justice. And since they are CONSTANTLY trying to PUSH this diversity angle, Miles Morales was the perfect character to do it with, given all the pieces in place.

I mean heck, I am NOT mad that they are doing a "Peter back in high school" story. Not at all, there's MANY of HIS OWN stories you can go with if you're gonna go with that angle.

My problem is the fact that instead of going with one of Peter's many stories that actually is true to him, they decided they'd jack everything from Miles, especially the things that make him unique and fresh and are just gonna hand it over to Peter now to have.

JeremyJahns made a video talking about how he liked how 'new' this Peter Parker is, and how he has a best friend that learns his secret from the get go, stuff you haven't seen with Peter Parker before, and liked their dynamic of Peter having someone to vent to like that.

That made me sick to my stomach because suddenly everything that made Miles unique, is now thrown and credited essentially to Peter(who doesn't need it) and he now gets the credit in the mainstream eye for these 'unique' additions and side character dynamics and Miles becomes an afterthought.

It's downright frustrating and infuriating, particularly if you were/are a fan of Miles Morales. I am glad that Marvel is actually getting called out on it as well.

Anyway /rantover
    Last edited by Majesty; 12-14-2016 at 02:03 AM.

I would argue that this is the result of Miles being 'the other Spider-Man' in the first place.

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    yep, I'd rather they actually have Miles Morales as the lead as opposed to going

"No we can't have Miles Morales lead a Spider-Man film. Let's give all that is fresh and new about Miles and just give it all to Peter Parker."

That disgusts me tbh.

You have freaking Abraham Attah cast in the darn film, one of the greatest young black talents in Hollywood

There was your Miles Morales! You already had the cast, the script, the people in place. Seriously, replace Tom Holland with Abraham Attah as Miles Morales and this trailer is about as perfect a Miles Morales movie you get in live action as it gets.

Then you had Donald Glover, someone whom raised ears years ago when they speculated he could play Miles but is too old to do so now. You could have done a BRILLIANT nod to the web by casting him as The Prowler

It was ALL there... ALL laid out for Marvel if they wanted to do a Miles Morales movie and do it justice. And since they are CONSTANTLY trying to PUSH this diversity angle, Miles Morales was the perfect character to do it with, given all the pieces in place.

I mean heck, I am NOT mad that they are doing a "Peter back in high school" story. Not at all, there's MANY of HIS OWN stories you can go with if you're gonna go with that angle.

My problem is the fact that instead of going with one of Peter's many stories that actually is true to him, they decided they'd jack everything from Miles, especially the things that make him unique and fresh and are just gonna hand it over to Peter now to have.

JeremyJahns made a video talking about how he liked how 'new' this Peter Parker is, and how he has a best friend that learns his secret from the get go, stuff you haven't seen with Peter Parker before, and liked their dynamic of Peter having someone to vent to like that.

That made me sick to my stomach because suddenly everything that made Miles unique, is now thrown and credited essentially to Peter(who doesn't need it) and he now gets the credit in the mainstream eye for these 'unique' additions and side character dynamics and Miles becomes an afterthought.

It's downright frustrating and infuriating, particularly if you were/are a fan of Miles Morales. I am glad that Marvel is actually getting called out on it as well.

Anyway /rantover
    I can't deny I am getting a bit of a kick out of all the MM fans moaning about Ganke being stolen,... and how Homecoming should have had MM as 'Spider-Man'.... But putting all that to the side for one moment, to those of you coming from this perspective, can I just explain a few things to you?...

1) Peter Parker was/is/will always be the true Spider-Man.
    He is the worldwide icon with 50 plus years of comics/cartoons/videogames/movies/toys backing him up, not Miles Morales;- a 'Legacy' ('Cough-rip off') character with 5 years in print.

2) The general audience has no idea WHATSOEVER who MM is, and a film featuring him would be seen as a watered down derivative from PP and would make nowhere near the box office as a PP/SM film.

3) Why would Marvel spend so much time and effort to reacquire the film rights of Spidey (their No1 all-time flagship mascot no less), and then not use him and instead do a Jean-Paul Valley Batman? It makes no sense. Look I understand MM is a cool character, as he takes the genius concept of Spider-Man and grafts it onto a minority to make those comic readers feel more connected to to the character, but he does not carry 5% of the significance of the original, sorry.

4) You can't have MM without PP first, I reckon they'll get there one day in the MCU but hopefully not for atleast a decade.
    Last edited by Dangerous; 12-14-2016 at 06:14 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
    I can't deny I am getting a bit of a kick out of all the MM fans moaning about Ganke being stolen,... and how Homecoming should have had MM as 'Spider-Man'.... But putting all that to the side for one moment, to those of you coming from this perspective, can I just explain a few things to you?...

Lolz, this is the same as "I'm not racist but" and then immediately follow it up with racist bs

1) Peter Parker was/is/will always be the true Spider-Man.
    He is the worldwide icon with 50 plus years of comics/cartoons/videogames/movies/toys backing him up, not Miles Morales;- a 'Legacy' ('Cough-rip off') character with 5 years in print.

That is true until the powers that be decide that is no longer the case anymore with Thor being a example and Miles is no more a rip off then Wally West is because Wally/Barry is "different"

2) The general audience has no idea WHATSOEVER who MM is, and a film featuring him would be seen as a watered down derivative from PP and would make nowhere near the box office as a PP/SM film.
    You're belief in what the general audience knows and don't know is wrong as is most online fans when they want to down play the popularity of another character they don't like

If the general audience has no idea who Miles is then why was his debut episode in a Peter Parker cartoon the highest rated/most watched episode in that series besides the series premier episode? His merch is both highly in-demand and often sold out( you can find his merch at Disneyland ), his trades hit the NY Times bestsellers list and are at the top of Amazon's best of but yeah nobody has every heard of him in all five years

3) Why would Marvel spend so much time and effort to reacquire the film rights of Spidey (their No1 all-time flagship mascot no less), and then not use him and instead do a Jean-Paul Valley Batman? It makes no sense. Look I understand MM is a cool character, as he takes the genius concept of Spider-Man and grafts it onto a minority to make those comic readers feel more connected to to the character, but he does not carry 5% of the significance of the original, sorry.

4) You can't have MM without PP first, I reckon they'll get there one day in the MCU but hopefully not for atleast a decade.

They didn't spend any time actually since Sony came to them to strike a deal as this is still a Sony movie just with some input from folks at Marvel Studios, you can also have Miles without Peter as thanks to the use of retcons and reboots comic history is littered with characters once linked together having that chain broken( see Black Panther & Inhumans without debuting in a Fantastic 4 movie ). The bold shows a amazing way to belittle fans of Miles and people of color because he threatens the special little snow flake that is Parker
    Last edited by Smoov-E; 12-15-2016 at 12:03 AM.

For the record, I still believe Donald Glover is playing the Hobie Brown Prowler.

He has to be some named-character for them to put him in the same group as Vulture, Tinkerer, and Shocker.

BANNED

No. Or at least no more so than that every comicbook movie rips off comics.

Spider-Man stories can't rip off Spider-Man stories.

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Lolz, this is the same as "I'm not racist but" and then immediately follow it up with racist bs
    You don't like my amusement of MM fans complaining- MM should be the first MCU Spidey, so let's revert to the default
    SJW retort of alluding to racism without being able to back it up one iota.

That is true until the powers that be decide that is no longer the case anymore with Thor being a example and Miles is no more a rip off then Wally West is because Wally/Barry is "different"
    No, it will always be the case.
    Thor will be temporary, and neither him nor The Flash are anywhere near as big as Spidey.
    The current singer of Queen is pretty good, but even if they recorded lots of killer albums together they would never have the impact nor reverence of the Freddie Mercury albums...

As much as you might wish you could erase the history of PP/Spider-Man and have Miles created first, the facts remain Stan Lee & Steve Ditko first created a character called 'Spider-Man' in 1962, who wore a spider costume, sticks to walls, swings from webs & and has super speed/strength etc. Now,- if that was it, and Spidey never became the worldwide icon he is Miles would still never be viewed with the same creative credibility as PP/SM because the concept/name/basic powers/specific costume had already been done. But as if that stuff was not enough, on top of all that PP/SM is the worlds most popular superhero and a legendary pop culture icon.
    MM will never be those things. But hey, I guess that makes me a racist! LOL.

You're belief in what the general audience knows and don't know is wrong as is most online fans when they want to down play the popularity of another character they don't like
    I never said I don't like MM.
    He's pretty cool, I'd like to see a MM film one day, but at the same time I'm not that fussed.
    PP/SM is favourite character and I've wanted to see what MS would do with him if given the chance.

If the general audience has no idea who Miles is then why was his debut episode in a Peter Parker cartoon the highest rated/most watched episode in that series besides the series premier episode? His merch is both highly in-demand and often sold out( you can find his merch at Disneyland ), his trades hit the NY Times bestsellers list and are at the top of Amazon's best of but yeah nobody has every heard of him in all five years
    Are you talking about the USM cartoon? That show really sucks, all those examples you provided cater to/are the result of the 'nerd' audience.
    That's not the general public cinema audience that make up the bulk of box office ticket sales.

They didn't spend any time actually since Sony came to them to strike a deal as this is still a Sony movie just with some input from folks at Marvel Studios, you can also have Miles without Peter as thanks to the use of retcons and reboots comic history is littered with characters once linked together having that chain broken( see Black Panther & Inhumans without debuting in a Fantastic 4 movie ).
    Well, as explained, like most people I think the idea of a MM film in the MCU before a series with PP is ridiculous.

The bold shows a amazing way to belittle fans of Miles and people of color...
    Well, I was only paraphrasing my non white friend from the comicshop, but if you say so mate...

because he threatens the special little snow flake that is Parker
    In what universe? the Ultimate comics universe? Maybe there, not in the real world.
    Spider-Man is the worlds most popular superhero. He generates over one billion in US dollars revenue per annum in merchandise and his next closest competitor is Batman at around 500 million. If we were being generous we could perhaps say 5% of that billion might be MM merch.

The SJW's came out the gates hard with multiple online petitions and left wing propaganda in Jan last year once MS got the film rights back and they failed. Fortunately the Sony contract states PP must remain white/hetero, but the result of this preassure meant Marvel ended up 'diversifying' the supporting cast. I'm not thrilled about that but if it's the price you gotta pay in 2017 for a decent Spidey film so be it. Also- If anything, Jessica Drew and Miguel O'Hara deserve films before MM since they pre-date him by decades, and imo, are much cooler & more distinct.
    Last edited by Dangerous; 12-15-2016 at 10:21 AM.

You don't like my amusement of MM fans complaining- MM should be the first MCU Spidey, so let's revert to the default
    SJW retort of alluding to racism without being able to back it up one iota.

No, it will always be the case.
    Thor will be temporary, and neither him nor The Flash are anywhere near as big as Spidey.
    The current singer of Queen is pretty good, but even if they recorded lots of killer albums together they would never have the impact nor reverence of the Freddie Mercury albums...

As much as you might wish you could erase the history of PP/Spider-Man and have Miles created first, the facts remain Stan Lee & Steve Ditko first created a character called 'Spider-Man' in 1962, who wore a spider costume, sticks to walls, swings from webs & and has super speed/strength etc. Now,- if that was it, and Spidey never became the worldwide icon he is Miles would still never be viewed with the same creative credibility as PP/SM because the concept/name/basic powers/specific costume had already been done. But as if that stuff was not enough, on top of all that PP/SM is the worlds most popular superhero and a legendary pop culture icon.
    MM will never be those things. But hey, I guess that makes me a racist! LOL.

I never said I don't like MM.
    He's pretty cool, I'd like to see a MM film one day, but at the same time I'm not that fussed.
    PP/SM is favourite character and I've wanted to see what MS would do with him if given the chance.

Are you talking about the USM cartoon? That show really sucks, all those examples you provided cater to/are the result of the 'nerd' audience.
    That's not the general public cinema audience that make up the bulk of box office ticket sales.

Well, as explained, like most people I think the idea of a MM film in the MCU before a series with PP is ridiculous.

Well, I was only paraphrasing my non white friend from the comicshop, but if you say so mate...

In what universe? the Ultimate comics universe? Maybe there, not in the real world.
    Spider-Man is the worlds most popular superhero. He generates over one billion in US dollars revenue per annum in merchandise and his next closest competitor is Batman at around 500 million. If we were being generous we could perhaps say 5% of that billion might be MM merch.

The SJW's came out the gates hard with multiple online petitions and left wing propaganda in Jan last year once MS got the film rights back and they failed. Fortunately the Sony contract states PP must remain white/hetero, but the result of this preassure meant Marvel ended up 'diversifying' the supporting cast. I'm not thrilled about that but if it's the price you gotta pay in 2017 for a decent Spidey film so be it. Also- If anything, Jessica Drew and Miguel O'Hara deserve films before MM since they pre-date him by decades, and imo, are much cooler & more distinct.
    I think that you underestimate the possibility that MM, because he hasn't had a mainstream medium, is less popular. I'd bet that if they did a MM movie, it'd be the highest selling Spiderman film to date, given America's diversity. Thus opening up the margin for competitive marketing i.e. toys, clothing etc. I think a lot of Parker fans are scarred to give MM that leeway.
    Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom