View Poll Results: Is Homecoming drawing heavily from the Miles Morales Spider-Man comics.

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

68 52.31%
  • No/ Not really.

62 47.69%
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

I think they're gonna merge Miles with Hobie, and that Glover is playing Hobie's uncle instead.
    I still hope he somehow is playing Overdrive.
    "I can talk to spiders"
    - Kaine Parker

I think that you underestimate the possibility that MM, because he hasn't had a mainstream medium, is less popular. I'd bet that if they did a MM movie, it'd be the highest selling Spiderman film to date, given America's diversity. Thus opening up the margin for competitive marketing i.e. toys, clothing etc. I think a lot of Parker fans are scarred to give MM that leeway.
    Now I just think you're deluding yourself.

Spider-man is one of THE most well know superheroes. period. Further more, he was one of the big game changers. Superheroes weren't the same after Spider-man appeared. he changed how they worked, who could be a superhero, how they acted, how secret identities worked, etc etc. He has had DECADES worth of appearances and adaptions.

Miles hasn't been around for five years yet. Look, I know you love the guy and want him to succeed, but his biggest claim to fame is being "the other Spider-man" or "the black Spider-man depending on who you ask. Miles is not his own character and will never be his own character. His whole deal taking after another hero. it would be like trying to make a Robin movie without there ever being a Batman.

Now, Jim Rhodes has appeared in several movies so far, as not as just a bit player. He's been a pretty major character. In the comics, he's even took over for Ironman for extended periods. Let's say in the next Ironman movie, Tony Stark gets injured and has to sit everything out. He get a minor supporting role or cameos at best. Jim Rhodes becomes Ironman with Tony's blessings. The whole movie is about Rhodes being Ironman.

He wil still never be Ironman is people's eyes. He will be the other Ironman or that guy who took over for the real Ironman.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Now I just think you're deluding yourself.

Spider-man is one of THE most well know superheroes. period. Further more, he was one of the big game changers. Superheroes weren't the same after Spider-man appeared. he changed how they worked, who could be a superhero, how they acted, how secret identities worked, etc etc. He has had DECADES worth of appearances and adaptions.

Miles hasn't been around for five years yet. Look, I know you love the guy and want him to succeed, but his biggest claim to fame is being "the other Spider-man" or "the black Spider-man depending on who you ask. Miles is not his own character and will never be his own character. His whole deal taking after another hero. it would be like trying to make a Robin movie without there ever being a Batman.

Now, Jim Rhodes has appeared in several movies so far, as not as just a bit player. He's been a pretty major character. In the comics, he's even took over for Ironman for extended periods. Let's say in the next Ironman movie, Tony Stark gets injured and has to sit everything out. He get a minor supporting role or cameos at best. Jim Rhodes becomes Ironman with Tony's blessings. The whole movie is about Rhodes being Ironman.

He wil still never be Ironman is people's eyes. He will be the other Ironman or that guy who took over for the real Ironman.
    I mean, my comment simply implied that MM hasn't even touched any other medium yet unlike Parker. If they gave MM a movie or show or other forms of medium, the probability that the younger generations would cling to him is most prominent. I'm not "in love with the guy" it was an observation primarily based on marketing strategy, however it's pretty evident that change really isn't your sort of thing. I grew up on PP and he remains my preference, but you can't deny that MM hasn't even touched film, TV, or anything else and people who don't read comics STILL know about him. Basically my point is, the potential is there. Also, I don't think you need to explain to myself or anyone here the importance or relevance of spiderman...
    Last edited by thefiresky; 12-15-2016 at 06:27 PM.
    Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom

So they lift one character from Miles supporting cast and suddenly Homecoming is a ripping him off?
    That is some masterful reach.

Yes, at its foundation, Peter's story is not a buddy story. This is obviously a buddy story. And thats the main thing that differentiates Miles from Peter, socially, that he had a true confidante in Ganke.

Hard to fully support it because I do see it as whitewashing.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yes, at its foundation, Peter's story is not a buddy story. This is obviously a buddy story. And thats the main thing that differentiates Miles from Peter, socially, that he had a true confidante in Ganke.

Hard to fully support it because I do see it as whitewashing.
    Provided you ignore the fact that Ultimate Peter Parker had a high school confidante in Mary Jane, or the Marvel Adventures Peter had one in Chat.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Provided you ignore the fact that Ultimate Peter Parker had a high school confidante in Mary Jane, or the Marvel Adventures Peter had one in Chat.
    You missed that MCU Peter Parker goes to Charter School not high school ... just like Miles Morales.

So the claim they're stealing Miles's story foundation and putting Peter in it seems pretty valid.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    You missed that MCU Peter Parker goes to Charter School not high school ... just like Miles Morales.

So the claim they're stealing Miles's story foundation and putting Peter in it seems pretty valid.
    How is it stealing when it is something they have every roght to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    How is it stealing when it is something they have every roght to use?
    Because it's not Peter Parker's to use.

You can't take core elements of a minority character and expect no one to care. Especially not when there was a lot of vocal support for Miles to be MCU Spider-Man over Peter and then when Marvel decided on Peter they suddenly take all this stuff from Miles to be repurposed.

It's basically a slap in the face to anyone who wanted a Miles Morales movie to see big parts of what would have been a Miles Morales (charter school, ganke) movie just with a white dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    To be fair, neither of them was a male confidante. Both were romantic interests for that version of Peter.

Peter did have male friends in the original comics, although it came later in the series with people he had a history with. And he never told them his secret identity.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Peter Parker isn't using it and doesn't even exist.

Sony is using it, which they have every right to do. It's not as if there's ever going to be a Miles Morales movie. Sony has been extremely transparant about that.

OK now you're just lying, what support?
    Hardcore fan or casual the majority wanted Peter, and all stuff taken from Miles is a charter school and a fat best friend, and if that's the most important things about him then why hell would anyone want him over Peter?
    But outside that it's Peter's supporting cast, Peter's villains and Peter's story.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Peter Parker isn't using it and doesn't even exist.

Sony is using it, which they have every right to do. It's not as if there's ever going to be a Miles Morales movie. Sony has been extremely transparant about that.
    Sony aren't in control of this movie, they're just picking up the bill (and the profit)

Quote Originally Posted by thefiresky View Post
    I mean, my comment simply implied that MM hasn't even touched any other medium yet unlike Parker. If they gave MM a movie or show or other forms of medium, the probability that the younger generations would cling to him is most prominent. I'm not "in love with the guy" it was an observation primarily based on marketing strategy, however it's pretty evident that change really isn't your sort of thing. I grew up on PP and he remains my preference, but you can't deny that MM hasn't even touched film, TV, or anything else and people who don't read comics STILL know about him. Basically my point is, the potential is there. Also, I don't think you need to explain to myself or anyone here the importance or relevance of spiderman...
    My apologies. I misread you. I've just seen too many people that act like Peter Parker's very exestiance is somehow an insult to Miles and thought you were one of them for a minute,. My bad.

You can't take core elements of a minority character and expect no one to care. Especially not when there was a lot of vocal support for Miles to be MCU Spider-Man over Peter and then when Marvel decided on Peter they suddenly take all this stuff from Miles to be repurposed.

It's basically a slap in the face to anyone who wanted a Miles Morales movie to see big parts of what would have been a Miles Morales (charter school, ganke) movie just with a white dude.
    EVERYTHING Miles has is Peter's to use. Miles is the derivative character of Peter's. The same way anything Spider-girl, Spider-man 2099, or Venom';s is Peters to use. His race has nothing to do with it and it doesn't matter how offended you want to be.

I was responding to the statement that what separates Miles from Peter is that unlike Peter he has a "true confidante," (which Peter had, just unlike Ganke, these confidantes had vaginas instead of penises) not sure why I would need to randomly mention "charter school!!!" in a response to Scott Taylor when his original statement made no mention of it.