Page 103 of 390 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 5845

Quote Originally Posted by Killercroc357 View Post

So I checked a few articles on the 'No Good Deed' video. Here are a few things people caught in the video. Though I also noticed the car license plate in the phone booth scene (no reference point yet).

- 'Nathan Summers Cumming Soon' - that's a given.

- If you look inside the phone booth, you see 'Hope!' - Hope Summers (aka the Mutant Messiah)?

- Firefly posters: Either a nod to Morena Baccarin's early work on the show, Nathan Fillion having some involvement in Deadpool 2, or even just a nod to Joss Whedon for his creative genius.

- 'Oggy was here': Nobody has figured this out yet, which appears behind Deadpool while standing over the dead man.

- 'Victim of the Brain': Another piece of graffiti.

- 'Alley Cats': Another piece of graffiti.
    My initial theory on this is spoilers:
    it was meant as foreshadowing for the Logan movie, since Xavier killed the X-Men when he had a seizure.
    end of spoilers
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Going to spoiler this for those who've yet to see Logan since we're out of its thread:

spoilers:
    As we know, Logan has created a world where there's few, if any, free mutants left. The only ones we KNOW to exist are the X-23 series experiments, who appear to be primarily led by Rictor. However we do know that there's SOMEONE he is in contact with in Canada, implying that there may indeed be other mutants still out there in hiding. Who knows, maybe even some old friends who survived the deaths of the X-Men in Logan's backstory. We know that Mangold and Kinberg have expressed an interest with following-up on Laura, and at least one article has shown a graphic indicating that there's already a film in development (my Google is weak, and I didn't find anything to corroborate it). However, what if Fox intends to do more than just a solo X-23 movie set in the future? What would you all think of a new team franchise set in the future, perhaps centering on Rictor, Laura, and a number of other kids coming together to rebuild the X-Men? The film already implies a degree of hero worship — Eden itself didn't actually exist, but they still used it as a rallying point for their escape — and I could see them wanting to continue that legacy.

I think there's certainly some potential in the idea, especially as Cable prepares to make his bow. As perhaps the X-Men's most famous time traveler, he'd make the perfect means by which to tie the three timelines together.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    The only aspect of Logan that was infuriatingly frustrating for me was that the kids weren't NXM. I mean, it could have been so convenient to just replace them with the NXM kids (Sophia could've been the wind/pinecone girl, Nori could have been the electricity kid, Victor the lizard boy, Julian their leader instead of Rictor etc.) And Laura's love for the X-Men comics could have been worked into the third act, with it being revealed that all the X-23's were reading those comics and revered the heroic band of mutants as role models, inspiring them to call themselves the New X-Men. It would have had such a greater impact working on those themes of legacy and also helped balance the utter tragedy of the reveal that the X-Men were killed by Charles.

It is only so frustrating because Logan is SOOO good, so I thought the kids being the NXM was an easy but missed opportunity to make an already poignant film that much more powerful.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 03-04-2017 at 10:46 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    spoilers:
    The only aspect of Logan that was infuriatingly frustrating for me was that the kids weren't NXM. I mean, it could have been so convenient to just replace them with the NXM kids (Sophia could've been the wind/pinecone girl, Nori could have been the electricity kid, Victor the lizard boy, Julian their leader instead of Rictor etc.) And Laura's love for the X-Men comics could have been worked into the third act, with it being revealed that all the X-23's were reading those comics and revered the heroic band of mutants as role models, inspiring them to call themselves the New X-Men. It would have had such a greater impact working on those themes of legacy and also helped balance the utter tragedy of the reveal that the X-Men were killed by Charles.

It is only so frustrating because Logan is SOOO good, so I thought the kids being the NXM was an easy but missed opportunity to make an already poignant film that much more powerful.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I think that would have been a bit much. Rictor alone was a HUGE Easter Egg as it was, and trying to establish the idea that these kids are already forming a new team would have likely derailed the third act. I'm completely fine that Logan didn't try to completely redeem the tragedy of Xavier's fall. They left us with a glimmer of hope for the future, and that was enough. In fact in a lot of ways the ending thematically ties in quite well to the ending of Death of Wolverine: No, Logan wasn't able to save everyone, he wasn't able to completely fix the world, but what he HAD done was enough. Let the next film develop and establish them as successors to the X-Men.
    end of spoilers

X-Men 2099

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    spoilers:
    I think that would have been a bit much. Rictor alone was a HUGE Easter Egg as it was, and trying to establish the idea that these kids are already forming a new team would have likely derailed the third act. I'm completely fine that Logan didn't try to completely redeem the tragedy of Xavier's fall. They left us with a glimmer of hope for the future, and that was enough. In fact in a lot of ways the ending thematically ties in quite well to the ending of Death of Wolverine: No, Logan wasn't able to save everyone, he wasn't able to completely fix the world, but what he HAD done was enough.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    They already were a ragtag team of sorts. I don't see how them revealing they named themselves in honor of the X-Men (through the comics which were their only connection to a regular world of hope) would have completely changed the equation. After all, it's not about what Logan failed to achieve, it's about the deaths of the rest of the X-Men. Was it ultimately in vain?

Let the next film develop and establish them as successors to the X-Men.
    Who do you mean? The X-23's in the film or NXM?
    end of spoilers

Why I will never accept the mindset than the X-Men film franchise is any kind of failure:

1. Basically gives birth to the comic book movie genre with X-Men
    2. 3 times now have released movies that were, at the time, considered among the greatest superhero movies of all time (X2, X-Men: Days Of Future Past, Logan)
    3. Another batch of movies highly regarded (X-Men, X-Men: First Class, The Wolverine)
    4. Even the "bad" movies are at worst considered mixed / average by the overall general audience (X-Men: The Last Stand, X-Men: Apocalypse) with only one being genuinely disliked by critics but still considered average / mixed at worst by audiences (X-Men Origins: Wolverine)
    5. EVERY single film has been a clear and blatant financial success.

These movies aren't anything close to failures, and this is the 3rd time now in this series that it's had a movie considered "the best" of the comic book movie genre. Technically the 4th if you count Deadpool.

So of 10 movies, you have 40% of them considered among the best the genre has to offer, 30% of them are considered very good, and 30% are considered mixed / average.

That's a pretty good track record.

Quote Originally Posted by Franchise408 View Post
    Why I will never accept the mindset than the X-Men film franchise is any kind of failure:

1. Basically gives birth to the comic book movie genre with X-Men
    2. 3 times now have released movies that were, at the time, considered among the greatest superhero movies of all time (X2, X-Men: Days Of Future Past, Logan)
    3. Another batch of movies highly regarded (X-Men, X-Men: First Class, The Wolverine)
    4. Even the "bad" movies are at worst considered mixed / average by the overall general audience (X-Men: The Last Stand, X-Men: Apocalypse) with only one being genuinely disliked by critics but still considered average / mixed at worst by audiences (X-Men Origins: Wolverine)
    5. EVERY single film has been a clear and blatant financial success.

These movies aren't anything close to failures, and this is the 3rd time now in this series that it's had a movie considered "the best" of the comic book movie genre. Technically the 4th if you count Deadpool.

So of 10 movies, you have 40% of them considered among the best the genre has to offer, 30% of them are considered very good, and 30% are considered mixed / average.

That's a pretty good track record.
    Agreed. But I think this franchise is doomed to be a whipping boy. They aren't as close to the source material as the MCU films are and some fans will never forgive them for treating this character poorly or that character poorly or being about this instead of that and etc etc. I can't lie and say that I don't have some fanboyish pet peeves about the franchise, but in the end that's all they are. Pet Peeves. To me, the majority of the X-Films are perfect representations/distillations of the core ideas and themes of the comic. When I watch the good films in the series they never don't feel like X-Men to me because the writers and directors intrinsically understand the source material all while putting their own stamp on it. With some of the MCU films, they feel like shallow interpretations of the source made specifically not to offend. Thor 2, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange...too a lesser extent the first Thor and Cap....all adhere the source material and surface details...but they all lack a true film making spark like the better MCU films (Iron Man, GOTG) and the good X-Films. Even The Avengers and Winter Solider, two great MCU films..are mostly great due to the script and acting. They are rather flat, boring looking films on a cinematic level. I know this criticism has been thrown around a lot, but if Avengers/Winter Solder/Ant-Man etc didn't have state of the art CGI I'd think I was watching an episode of a prime time TV show.
    Last edited by GizmotheStark89; 03-05-2017 at 02:50 PM.

The X-Men movies aren't perfect adaptations and, like you, I have plenty of fanboyish pet peeves about these movies (I tell friends and such that there isn't one movie in this series that doesn't have something that pisses me off in some capacity). But really, the main thing people complain about these movies not being like the comics is costumes. In regards to characters, relationships, themes, ideas, and stories, these movies are spot on to the comic books.

Yes, some characters were mishandled. Guess what? So are some Marvel characters.

IMO anyone who thinks these movies don't get X-Men are actually the ones that don't get X-Men. X-Men are so much more than their costumes and as Logan shows us, even their powers. To simplify X-Men so greatly is to do a huge disservice to all the wonderful stories and characters over decades. Yea, some things are lost in translation and not everything makes it. That's what happens when you adapt a decades spanning source material down into a handful of 2 hour long movies. Even Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter didn't get everything, and those movies were adapting self-contained stories.

If I were in charge of the X-Men movies, yes, certain things would have been different. But the same can be said if I were in charge of comics as well.

These movies got it, and make me proud to be an X-Men fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Franchise408 View Post
    These movies got it, and make me proud to be an X-Men fan.
    Agreed! There is so much goodness mixed in these movies. People just need to lighten up about 'not my comic book X-Men' when viewing these. There's plenty of the influence and character backstory there in these films.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GizmotheStark89 View Post
    Agreed. But I think this franchise is doomed to be a whipping boy. They aren't as close to the source material as the MCU films are and some fans will never forgive them for treating this character poorly or that character poorly or being about this instead of that and etc etc. I can't lie and say that I don't have some fanboyish pet peeves about the franchise, but in the end that's all they are. Pet Peeves. To me, the majority of the X-Films are perfect representations/distillations of the core ideas and themes of the comic. When I watch the good films in the series they never don't feel like X-Men to me because the writers and directors intrinsically understand the source material all while putting their own stamp on it. With some of the MCU films, they feel like shallow interpretations of the source made specifically not to offend. Thor 2, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange...too a lesser extent the first Thor and Cap....all adhere the source material and surface details...but they all lack a true film making spark like the better MCU films (Iron Man, GOTG) and the good X-Films. Even The Avengers and Winter Solider, two great MCU films..are mostly great due to the script and acting. They are rather flat, boring looking films on a cinematic level. I know this criticism has been thrown around a lot, but if Avengers/Winter Solder/Ant-Man etc didn't have state of the art CGI I'd think I was watching an episode of a prime time TV show.
    Mostly true, the MCU are not close to the source material either but people pretend they are.

the x-men movies, the good ones have better film making than every mcu movies.

Bryan Singer at his best is a better film maker than the Russo brothers.

DOFP and X2 are better movies than the derivate civil war and the winter solider, which are considered the best mcu movies.

the good thing about x-men is that all their films are the vision of the different directors. mcu movies, all their films are the vision of the disney suits, there is no distinction with mcu movies. you have seen one, you have seen them all. this is why the reception of every mcu movie tend to be the same and the reception of the x-men movies tend to vary.

I was very hard on singer after apocalypse but he obviously felt pressured to be different. he should have stuck to his usual style that produced movies like X-Men, X2 and DOFP, instead Singer chose to become what a loud minority think comic book movies are about and that is how he ended up with apocalypse.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Selina View Post
    I was very hard on singer after apocalypse but he obviously felt pressured to be different. he should have stuck to his usual style that produced movies like X-Men, X2 and DOFP, instead Singer chose to become what a loud minority think comic book movies are about and that is how he ended up with apocalypse.
    Did he said something about this? Can You show me this interview? That sounds stupid. Director felt pressure because of loud minority?

Was just flipping channels, and happened across this scene.

Still one of the best across all the X-Franchise movies. Heck - even across all superhero movies.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

X7 should be the movie that fans like my self can't complain about anymore. Costumes & No Stryker, Logan, Raven, or Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    X7 should be the movie that fans like my self can't complain about anymore. Costumes & No Stryker, Logan, Raven, or Eric.
    Costumes like the end of Apocalypse, no more major focus on Xavier/Magneto, no more Mystique as the main character. I'm excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Killercroc357 View Post
    Was just flipping channels, and happened across this scene.

Still one of the best across all the X-Franchise movies. Heck - even across all superhero movies.
    Yes.

First Class is, imo, the least "X-Meny" movie of the entire series, and probably does the most injustice to the source material, but just as a movie, it's amazing and this scene is one example of that. Magneto is the one character they absolutely nailed in that movie.