Page 11 of 390 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    Make it plain please... Silver Phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt LeBeau View Post
    Hugh Jackman retiring is the perfect oportunity for other characters to take the spotlight for a few years and get popular in a bigger way than in the past. Fox can easily do this during a few years, and once they get a few more popular X-Men/X-Force stars, they can re-introduce Wolverine again. But doing a recast right now would be a huge mistake. There isnt anything smart in rushing something. Let X-23 has her time to shine in at least two movies, same with the young X-men from XMA, and then reintroduce Logan once the new Cyclops, Jean, Nightcrawler, Storm have gotten their deserved development and real exposure.
    Well said and on point. I agree.
    "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."- Jesus
    John 14:6

Make it plain please... Silver Phoenix's Avatar

X-men

I would love for them to embrace the "new and deadly" attitude for our young X-men (Cyke, Jean, Storm, Nightcrawler & Beast). Mystique and Quicksilver I see not meshing with Xavier's approach and ideals and leaving but remaining "grey area" allies.

I just want to see our young X-men taking on threats from humans to mutants, to Moses Magnum and everything in-between in the next few films which I think should be stand alones.

I want to see the relationships (Cyke & Jean romance/ Storm and Jean sisterhood), the teamwork and overall adventure and intrigue infused into these films.

New Mutants

I've just learned about the Demon Bear Saga, which sounds very interesting but may be to much to jump into for an introduction of the New Mutant team IMO. I do agree these X-men in training or secondary X-team should fill the niche the X-men haven't addressed: supernatural, parallel dimensions and space.

I think the New Mutants films should go after the teens and appeal to that age demographic without being to angsty...really look at being a mutant teenager and what it's like to train towards becoming a "hero."

X-Force

R-rated. Real. No holds-barred. That's all.
    "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."- Jesus
    John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    The Stan Lee/Jack Kirby run might not be good, but X-Men: First Class comic and X-Men: Season 1 were superb. And both of them were focused on the X-Men, not just Xavier/Magneto.

Also, the First Class trilogy isn't about the early days of X-Men, it's about what happened before the X-Men were formed. It takes three F@#$%^g movies to form the team.
    The original run is veeeeeryy silver age, I mean, Factor Three, which was the much larger threat than Magneto in the earliest part of the run, was ultimately the plan of a giant octopus from Sirius! There's that dude who lived in an inner earth kingdom, space knights and Merlin/yogis, cowboys, scientifically advanced bird-men cryogenically frozen from the past, 'camel jockeys', etc. However, the initial comics also show Xavier as an unrelenting tactician and a grueling instructor. He was always saving the day, even if it meant taking over a whole town or brainwashing the Blob, or mobilizing the military through a number of channels. Even FBI Agent Fred Duncan, who really got Xavier going on this whole mutant action team thing, was much more interesting than the course they took with the CIA in First Class and Apocalypse.

He drilled and trained the X-Men in a military manner in the Danger Room. That is a really big part of the early comics that the movies have really struggled with. First Class's trainings felt the most X-Meny, but they were still quite primitive and unrefined. The one in X3 was of course just hijacked by Wolvie, so the kids didn't even get to learn anything, and they only used their powers in the most basic of ways. So that's where the old comics really beat the movies.

Even character wise, even though the 05 are pretty boring, they are still well defined. Cyke's origin really starts the whole mutant menace phenomena, when a news crew just happens to be filming as his eyes go off for the first time in a city center, and he knocks some wreckage off a building, but then he fires another one to destroy that wreckage before it hit anyone. Of course the mob didn't quite see it that way and they chased him away. He ends up running away from his orphanage and hanging out with bums. Xavier eventually finds him(after a great confrontation with Jack Winters who tried to use Scott as a weapon), and brings him back to the mansion, where he.... trains Scott to use as a weapon, to bring peace between the species of course, not just steal stuff, so its better this way. But yeah, that's a great origin that with minor tweaking would have been great to see on screen. Scott blasting some dude in the bathroom just doesn't have the same narrative value.

Then you have Warren, the handsome, rich, hot-headed one who wants to court Jean, but can see she's into Scott(who can't love Jean because his power could hurt her). Iceman almost got lynched in his origin when he froze some kid who was starting some trouble! But after Xavier mindwipes the whole town, he just has fun and goofs off all the time(maybe to protect himself from that harsh reality?) . Hank was a high school football star and a super genius, I always wondered why they didn't get a more beefy/hunky type for him in the movies and instead played this more Peter Parker meets Bruce Banner/Hulk type thing. Old school Hank is a fun character, really into wordplay and showing off his vocabulary, but also very jock-like and even old fashioned in a way.

I'd say the movie's version of those characters pales. Even Jean's slow development in those early issues was better than Jean aiming arrows at her classmates and having nightmares, and then going Phoenix out of nowhere. Jean's powers grew incrementally from just being able to lift stuff she could carry herself physically, to after 30-40 issues, finally being able to lift herself enough to fly, and start lifting things beyond her self. They mention even in those early issues her power is infinite, she's just growing into it.I also like the old school psi-scans, where she could psychically feel around to find a key hole or learn the configuration of a room. Only later in the series did she start working with telepathy, and it was pretty basic to the point I have read(scanning/locating a person, relaying information/conversations), which is just a bit into the Neal Adams run. I think the movies rushed far too fast and you loose out on Jean before jumping into the Phoenix.

Later writers built on what was established in those early issues and there is a very defined sequence of events that led to the formation of the X-Men, that would have been a lot more interesting to see in films for the last three movies if they were so intent on doing a prequel trilogy. First you have Charles being born to a military scientist working on the atom bomb. Boom children of the atom. His father dies in an accident, and his mother marries his partner Dr. Marko, who moves into the mansion with his son Cain. Cain and Charles don't get a long from jump and Charles accidentally uses his powers and see's all this inner trauma and abuse. Cain feels violated and is angry at Charles, and he never really lets that go.

They eventually go to Korea together in the war. Cain is deserting his unit when the fighting was getting bad, and ran into the Cytorrak temple. Charles went after him and Cain got the gem and became the Juggernaut, but the temple/mountain got bombed and he was buried in the rubble(for like a decade or more before he freed himself and got back home...). The original story then says Charles just went home and stayed home until he eventually went to get Scott.

Later, Chris Claremont added Charles's Oxford romance with Moira breaking down while he was at the war, and between that and what happened with Cain, Charles just went on a journey after, before going home. He starts in Greece, goes to Cairo, where we meet very young Ororo who picks his pocket. He stops her with a psi-bolt, which happens to alert Shadow King to his presence as he was nearby in his tavern. They fight, Charles wins, but he is now aware there are others like him and some are evil as $*$$.

Then he goes to Israel and meets Gabrielle Heller and Magnus(Erik Lensherr). He saves Gabriella from her coma telepathically, and later he and Magnus save her from the Nazi-Hydra agents who had brainwashed her into being a map to hidden gold reserves in Africa. Now you can not tell me that wouldn't have been awesome to see on screen!? In that episode we begin to see them taking different routes as far as how hard they will fight/what methods they are willing to employ, but they don't hurt one another.

Then after having sex with Gabrielle(and thus fathering Legion....) he goes to the Hindu Kush and get's paralyzed by Lucifer(who is actually an alien who has taken over a small town), and then young Sage pulls him out of the cave and gets him to a hospital, where Amelia Vought is his nurse. He is paralyzed and is despondent, but she keeps at him. Eventually they fall in love and they go back to Westchester together. For a while they are happy, but then Charles starts to get into this whole mutant team idea with Moira(and I guess Agent Duncan if we are the reconcile the later additions with the originals). Amelia doesn't like the idea and leaves Charles over it, as he clearly is more into this idea than her(and I think he even tried to change her mind or something, I forget). And then so on with the 05 part.

Short of the long, the original comics plus the later addition actually have a wealth of character arcs and interesting locations and supporting characters to draw from, and the movie makers probably never even did the research to know that. Their bs version of Mystique, the Hellfire Club, Sentinels and Apocalypse actually do pale in comparison with the actual origins of the X-Men as detailed in the main comics.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Jean going Phoenix wasn't out of nowhere. It was set up in DOFP where Chuck saw the events of X3 through Logan's mind and his arc about not controlling people's lives. Xavier just didn't put the psychic blocks on Jean's power when she was young like in the original timeline and instead choose to have faith in her controlling her them. So Jean going Phoenix was pretty natural, especially since we already saw it in X2 and trying to build it up again would be a waste of time.

In short, Jean should be showing those powers considering what we learnt about her in the previous films and Xavier's arc in DOFP. They also managed to salvage The Last Stand by using that to add dimension to Jean and having her fear the future.

Now Jean in the original run didn't get a backstory while the male members did. Which reeks sexism and the fact that she was the weakest member didn't help. There really wasn't much to Jean before she became Phoenix besides being the girl next door. I don't recall the infinite power thing being mention in the original run. Wasn't that after Claremont got his hands on her? I remember Moira in Uncanny #125 mention Jean had such potential but her and Xavier never thought she would reach it.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 12-16-2016 at 08:25 AM.

There apparently was a screening of the first 40 minutes of Logan and the Twitter reactions are all raves, especially regarding Laura And these aren't just studio plants either, even Doctor Strange director Scott Derrikson saw it and expects it to be the best X-Men film ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    There apparently was a screening of the first 40 minutes of Logan and the Twitter reactions are all raves, especially regarding Laura And these aren't just studio plants either, even Doctor Strange director Scott Derrikson saw it and expects it to be the best X-Men film ever.
    Deadpool, Quicksilver, and X-23 = X-Men Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    Welcome to the New Age

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    You are very naive if you think that when Hugh Jackman left, the other characters become popular.
    yeah, its very naive to think that if we get another sequel with Cyclops and Jean taking the spotlight in a Phoenix Saga, Magik appearing in two NM movies and Domino in a few movies too wont make them more popular.

Im very naive. There is 0% chance all of that will happen

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    So future xmen movies are gonna happen in some OML wasteland?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    That is encouraging.

However, "The Wolverine" was a great movie IMO up until it blew the pooch in the last act.

Hopefully it sticks to the theme of the movie and doesn't lose its shit at the end
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    X-23 seems to be replacing Hope Summers. Get Cable to break the three together.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    It seems like that's the end game. Like all the movies are working up to that future. So I'm guessing that's where Cable eventually comes it... to not let that happen.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

X-Men are unfortunately a joke behind the scene's I bet.

Chris Pratt To Jennifer Lawrence: "How Does It Feel Being In The Stupidest Marvel Movie?"

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    It seems like that's the end game. Like all the movies are working up to that future. So I'm guessing that's where Cable eventually comes it... to not let that happen.
    That... might not be so bad. If that's the case, do we have any indication of this?

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    That... might not be so bad. If that's the case, do we have any indication of this?
    Cable being in Deadpool 2 is a start. The rest is just me fantasizing right now. That's how I'd like to see them fix it all if they don't plan on rebooting.