Page 4 of 390 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Yeah, I got that but what does this have to do with Logan, Deadpool, and New Mutants? Hard to connect things when they're decades apart.

Literally, the only reference for the DPS was in Apocalypse. In no other movie was this ever evident.
    Logan and New Mutants have not been released yet. Deadpool was an origin story about the title character that had nothing to big event. Similar to how Iron Man and Ant-Man had nothing to do with Infinity War.

New Mutants will probably have some connection due to the introduction of aliens.

So we just gonna accept characters having no backstory?
    How he got captured by those anti-mutant people isn't really a character backstory. Since it doesn't tie to his personal history.

Not sure why you're comparing the supposed flagship of a franchise to a lower budget spin-off. Compare X-men fights to Avengers/MoS/BvS
    Actually, Suicide Squad and Apocalypse have similar budgets. Not to mention the prequel X-films are spin-offs themselves.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 12-11-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Do you want to know why Deadpool did so well? It was authentic. Reynolds had to *fight Fox* for that. He won. Deadpool was perfect because of that, Colossus was spot on and it made tons of money and got great reviews. Those noobs at Fox simply do no know how to make a blockbuster comic book movie because they keep trying to make the characters some weird twist of themselves. We saw it with their version of Deadpool in W:O. More on point here, Singer didn't read comics, much less know anything about the X-Men going into it. Well that shows!

Make the bloody X-Men movies closer to the books! Throw in some charm!

You want a drama with no charm? You'd better be damn good at what you do, and you haven't been and it shows in the box office and by the critics. Take a lesson from Caville's Man of Steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    Logan and New Mutants have not be released. Deadpool was an origin story about the title character that had nothing to big event. Similar to how Iron Man and Ant-Man had nothing to do with Infinity War.

New Mutants will probably connect due to the introduction of aliens.
    I have a feeling Lockheed will have more fantastical origins like Demon Bear in the film, which makes sense. I wish they had held off on including Warlock though. Especially sans Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    Do you want to know why Deadpool did so well? It was authentic. Reynolds had to *fight Fox* for that. He won. Deadpool was perfect because of that, Colossus was spot on and it made tons of money and got great reviews. Those noobs at Fox simply do no know how to make a blockbuster comic book movie because they keep trying to make the characters some weird twist of themselves. We saw it with their version of Deadpool in W:O. More on point here, Singer didn't read comics, much less know anything about the X-Men going into it. Well that shows!

You want a drama with no charm? You'd better be damn good at what you do, and you haven't been and it shows in the box office and by the critics. Take a lesson from Caville's Man of Steel.
    Everyone has to fight the studio in some capacity or the other. Even Joss Whedon's split with Marvel was surrounded by its fair share of gossip, as did Jon Favreau's and Edgar Wright's before his. And Kinberg seems to be giving creative control to Reynolds, James Mangold and Josh Boone now.

Also, Singer "not reading the comics" is only as true as saying Hopeless and Lemire did not read the comics before writing their respective post-SW comics. Not everyone reads every comic and everyone has their own pets who they will focus on more than the others.

Also, the DCEU movies still make a ton of monies and on the DC boards, people fight tooth and nail defending Cavill's Superman so even that statement is not objective.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I think we're well beyond the point where that's a viable strategy these days. For better or worse, the MCU has changed the game on franchise films. End result you have a Star Trek reboot that's been hamfistedly tied into the original canon, and even MORE shared universes are coming (IE The Mummy reboot is going to be part of a larger "Universal Monsters" universe). Unfortunately it's left Fox in a difficult position since unlike Marvel and the DCEU they have to piece it together on the fly.
    Yeah, good point. I think the Fox U gets a lot of undeserved flack, considering it was never designed to sustain over 15 years worth of stories. You know, it was never really designed at all. Regardless, even if it can never happen, less continuity dramatics is definitely what I'd prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    Actually, X2 made around the same amount of money as Deadpool if you adjust inflation.

Actually, the films tend to have more charm than the storyline they ripped from. The original stories barely had any charm at all. You won't found anything Quicksilver scene in Days of Future Past or X-Factor: Fall of The Mutants. Or this that got my theater laughing.

Last edited by Divine Spark; 12-12-2016 at 12:52 AM.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Continuity Shomnitnuity.... Who needs continuity when you can do whatever you want from movie to movie.

We get to meet the human threat. It doesn't need to be a singular person(though we will get that in the end in the form of Lang), it is in fact better to show the whole of humanity at play.

You start with the reckless military scientists testing atomic weapons(Charles's Xavier's father among them), you have a natural environment being damaged as a result, something changes, it's becoming conscious and active.

Flash forward 35 years and the Stato-Jet or Blackbird is streaking back to that island. Cyclops at the controls of the aircraft, "Touch down in two minutes, people." Iceman jokes, " Roger that! Why so serious Cyke, it's just another new mutant. Nothing we can't handle." making a funny face gesture. Havok siting next to Polaris sits up, "Get real, Bobby. I remember how scared I was when my powers first kicked in. Thought I might-" Polaris leans in, "But you learned to control it, Alex, just like we all did. Even if I'd rather be in [grad] school, our powers give us a responsibility to help others!" Jean, behind Scott, grabs her temple, "Wow, the Professor was right! This new mutant must be strong, I can feel a strange psionic field as we near, almost-" "Jeannie, babe, you alright?" Angel asks as he reaches out to support her, wings fluffing. "I'm fine." Jean says, looking up towards Cyclops, who while piloting keeps his head on the task, but his eyes shielded behind his visor look nervously to the side. Hearing her words, he refocuses, "Ok, we're going in." Strato-Jet touches down.

You could then show them immediately being overwhelmed, or get a nice action sequence in before they are take down, either way. Boom.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Logan and New Mutants have not been released yet. Deadpool was an origin story about the title character that had nothing to big event. Similar to how Iron Man and Ant-Man had nothing to do with Infinity War.

New Mutants will probably have some connection due to the introduction of aliens.
    Bad examples. Iron Man, from the beginning was a lead up to the Avengers. The real build up to the infinity War didn't started letter building assembling the Avengers was the main goal. Ant-man, is a side-story that will feed into a narrative.

As for New Mutants introducing aliens, like I said, I have high hopes for this movies... But I've been here before.

How he got captured by those anti-mutant people isn't really a character backstory. Since it doesn't tie to his personal history.
    But we don't have ANY history. Nothing. It's not a "find out more later" type of thing, we don't know anything.

Actually, Suicide Squad and Apocalypse have similar budgets. Not to mention the prequel X-films are spin-offs themselves.
    Lower budget compared to it's actual flagship. And yes it is. It has "X-men" in the title. It has the main cast. It's the flagship.

Actually, X2 made around the same amount of money as Deadpool if you adjust inflation.

Actually, the films tend to have more charm than the storyline they ripped from. The original stories barely had any charm at all. You won't found anything Quicksilver scene in Days of Future Past or X-Factor: Fall of The Mutants. Or this that got my theater laughing.
    This is true... Claremont wrote the X-Men like a soap opera, which wouldn't fly with the popcorn audiences of today. The books tend to be heavy in general and the only moments of levity tend to involve young team members like Kitty Pryde and Jubilee (which Fox also doesn't want to do).

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    But we don't have ANY history. Nothing. It's not a "find out more later" type of thing, we don't know anything.
    Actually we did learn of Kurt's history in X2. Granted it told us, instead of showing us.

Lower budget compared to it's actual flagship. And yes it is. It has "X-men" in the title. It has the main cast. It's the flagship.
    Origins also had "X-Men" in the title but everyone calls that a spin-off. First Class and Apocalypse are in the same boat. Origin prequel stories about other characters(Chuck and Erik) with "X-Men" in the title in it.

Actually we did learn of Kurt's history in X2. Granted it told us, instead of showing us.

Origins also had "X-Men" in the title but everyone calls that a spin-off. First Class and Apocalypse are in the same boat. Origin prequel stories about other characters(Chuck and Erik) with "X-Men" in the title in it.
    You serious now? That movie also had "Wolverine" in the title. These movies don't have Prof. X and Magneto in their title.

Before Days of Future Past I probably would have considered First Class a spin-off. But then that evolved into the main franchise with DoFP and Apocalypse so..

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Before Days of Future Past I probably would have considered First Class a spin-off. But then that evolved into the main franchise with DoFP and Apocalypse so..
    That is my take, too. That's another reason why I don't like Singer's direction with these movies. First Class was never meant to be followed by anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    You serious now? That movie also had "Wolverine" in the title. These movies don't have Prof. X and Magneto in their title.
    First Class was originally going to be X-Men Origins: Magneto.