Page 5 of 390 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    First Class was originally going to be X-Men Origins: Magneto.
    First: Doesn't matter what it was originally going to be.

Second: Read the two comments above.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    We get to meet the human threat. It doesn't need to be a singular person(though we will get that in the end in the form of Lang), it is in fact better to show the whole of humanity at play.
    Ok that sounds more reasonable! I got the impression that you just wanted Krakoa as the sole villain of the story like how it was in the comic.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post

You could then show them immediately being overwhelmed, or get a nice action sequence in before they are take down, either way. Boom.
    And then they will never be seen again until the climax of the movie, and THEN if we stick to the source material, we have to remove most of them (Iceman, Beast, Angel, Havok and Polaris) to focus on the actual iconic X-Men team in subsequent movies, because even Claremont knows that there were too many characters in Giant Size for him to feasibly handle. So it seems the only characterization they will receive in this first movie is in that short 3 minute scene before they are taken by Krakoa, and the presumably last 10-20 minutes during the climax and epilogue. That just makes the movie unnecessarily crowded, especially when the movie ends with about thirteen X-Men, if we are to follow the comics.

See where it's perfectly fine to make changes in order for a more streamlined story? The same story can be achieved by simply letting the All New All Different X-Men rescue Professor Xavier and/or Jean Grey, so that by the end of the movie you will have the iconic team of about 7 characters all set up, instead of having to immediately shove half of them aside. If the comics couldn't handle thirteen characters in an ensemble, the movies definitely won't be able to.

I appreciate you writing your ideas out though. It's a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    First Class was originally going to be X-Men Origins: Magneto.
    and then it wasn't.

Well, congrats to Deadpool and Ryan Reynolds for nabbing Golden Globe nominations for Best Picture (Comedy or Musical) and Best Lead Actor (Comedy or Musical). That's something the MCU hasn't managed yet so score for the XCU!

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Well, congrats to Deadpool and Ryan Reynolds for nabbing Golden Globe nominations for Best Picture (Comedy or Musical) and Best Lead Actor (Comedy or Musical). That's something the MCU hasn't managed yet so score for the XCU!
    Reynolds had a good thing going there. The movie was great.

Yeah for real, that's some pretty exciting news.

Quote Originally Posted by iacobusleo View Post
    I appreciate you writing your ideas out though. It's a start.
    Thanks.

I think its fine, though. This is world building. Trust, if Singer's crap can eke out .5 billion, you put a proper X-film onscreen and the money will flow. There will be plenty more films to come. Polaris and Havok can head up an X-Factor franchise later down the line. The rest of the 05 can have cameo appearances in the main X-movies, or get their own X-Factor series(before Lorna and Alex). All we are doing is establishing that there is a functioning X-Men team already existing, with their own histories and perspective.

Cyke is still going to be the field leader of the new X-Men, Polaris is still going to combo with Storm for the big electromagnet finish(you can even add Cyke and Havok's contribution from the comics, but I would probably change that a little because those old school silver age 'let's all combine our powers' thing is silly, even if they did use it in Guardians of the Galaxy; maybe just have them shoot down to break the bedrock instead), Iceman still saves the team with his iceraft. They will have some important contributions. You could even add that scene from the Classic X-Men reprints, where the whole team goes back to the mansion afterwards, and Wolvie starts flirting with Jean and Angel get's mad, and Iceman is all xenophobic against Piotr, Kurt and Sean. And the old team leaves in the morning.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I don't give Fox credit. That was all Reynolds.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Avatar View Post
    I don't give Fox credit. That was all Reynolds.
    If Fox didn't produce the film, there would be no movie. It's important to note that Deadpool is the kind of theatrical film that Disney would never allow Marvel to produce. That's the major problem I have with DisMar. They are consistent and you know what you are getting, but that leaves out the potential of an awards worthy breakout like The Dark Knight or Deadpool.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 12-12-2016 at 10:58 PM.

If Fox didn't produce the film, there would be no movie. It's important to note that Deadpool is the kind of theatrical film that Disney would never allow Marvel to produce. That's the major problem I have with DisMar. They are consistent and you know what you are getting, but that leaves out the potential of an awards worthy breakout like The Dark Knight or Deadpool.
    They have their Netflix series.

I'm don't want to be rude to anyone, but why do people feel the need to bash MCU/Disney? "Disney this, Disney that, oh they'll never make a film like this, they'll never allow the R rating" They'll also never butcher characters like Fox. And Reynolds had to fight really really hard to make the movie he wanted. He had to fight for years and years.

One good movie doesn't excuse them for ruining half the characters in previous movies. The X-Men are background characters in their own movies.

I hope Deadpool 2 is good. I hope Logan is great. I want New Mutants to be a success. But please enough with the "Disney'll never do this. Disney can't make a movie like that."
    Last edited by SpiderClops; 12-13-2016 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    With a big enough budget, the X-Men would probably work better as a series. I do think they can be great movies, but Hollywood has such a specific formula for movies, and it really just focuses on one male protagonist(maybe a female in like 3% of films) overcoming a series of events. A true team ensemble is rarely accomplished in a satisfying way in 90 minutes. It takes a rare confluence of creators to pull off such dense movies.

10-12 hours in a season allows for a much better chance of balancing multiple characters and multiple, compelling arcs. Sense8 is a great example of an excellent examination of many characters, and that has the greater challenge of them mostly being in distinct locations with their own supporting characters. At least with the X-Men they mostly are together, even if they will need their own subplots.

If an X-Men show could catch hold like HBO's Game of Thrones, with that level of production value, that would be preferred to even a successful movie franchise(70 hours of X-Men is probably better than 12 or 14). Ideally you could have the movies be the big events that then set the tone for the next season of show, but that sort of coordination is basically unheard of these days.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post

I'm don't want to be rude to anyone, but why do people feel the need to bash MCU/Disney? "Disney this, Disney that, oh they'll never make a film like this, they'll never allow the R rating" They'll also never butcher characters like Fox. And Reynolds had to fight really really hard to make the movie he wanted. He had to fight for years and years.

One good movie doesn't excuse them for ruining half the characters in previous movies. The X-Men are background characters in their own movies.

I hope Deadpool 2 is good. I hope Logan is great. I want New Mutants to be a success. But please enough with the "Disney'll never do this. Disney can't make a movie like that."
    Sif, Janet van Dyne, the Warriors Three, Red Skull, Hawkeye to a certain degree and a bunch of others say hi to "Marvel will never butcher their characters".

And if one side is going on about "Give the rights back" the only logical (and non-rude) way for the other side to react is by laying down facts why that may not really prove to be beneficial either.

I also don't think live action X-Men will work on a Netflix budget. And even if they did somehow, that would officially seal them as second tier to the cinematic characters.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 12-13-2016 at 02:49 AM.

Sif, Janet van Dyne, the Warriors Three, Red Skull, Hawkeye to a certain degree and a bunch of others say hi to "Marvel will never butcher their characters".

And if one side is going on about "Give the rights back" the only logical (and non-rude) way for the other side to react is by laying down facts why that may not really prove to be beneficial either.

I also don't think live action X-Men will work on a Netflix budget. And even if they did somehow, that would officially seal them as second tier to the cinematic characters.
    Sif and the Worriors Three show up in both the Thor movies and are shown to be important characters in Thor's life. Yes, they could've done for them.
    Janet was also shown to be important character in Hank's life. Ant-Man heavily implies that she might not be dead.
    Red Skull? You kidding me?
    Hawkeye was given a special arc in Age of Ultron.

I'm not excusing MCU(it still bugs me that we didn't get to see Hank and Janet in The Avengers), but comparing to Fox? They are leagues ahead. The fact that characters like Black Widow and Hawkeye still get to shine and have meaningful arcs and backstories is proof that MCU does care about their characters. None of them have solo movies.

Was Captain America screwed over so that IM can have his moments? Who got screwed over because Spider-Man was in Civil War? Actually, Ant-Man was added to balance things out. Compare that with Wolverine cameo in Apocalypse. It's basically "Everyone, just step aside. Let Wolverine do his thing." How many times we're gonna see Wolverine's horrible past? How many times we're gonna see Charles and Eric bicker about the same thing? That conversation is the same it was 16 years ago.

The team movies that are never about the team is inexcusable when you do that for six times in a row. Just not caring about continuity. Crappy fights. All the above things MCU has done better. Fox still hasn't shown that they can make a proper team movie, or that they care about continuity or good fights.

And I'm still not one of the "give rights back to Marvel" people. But I do think Marvel Studios can make a better X-Men(team) movie. Because they've shown it, Fox hasn't.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

The X-Men actually have way more character than Sif, the trio, and Janet though. Fucking Janet is the second longest running leader of The Avengers and got replaced by an obscure MC2 character. She without a doubt got screwed over. She is actually worse off than Scott.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 12-13-2016 at 04:15 AM.

That's a good point. While Fox has made many mistakes with the X-men movies (Barakapool anyone?), they have shown a greater willingness to take risks and so something different. Marvel/Disney haven't shown that same willingness. To be fair though, they haven't had to in recent years. They've got a formula and it works. However, those formulas don't last forever. There was a time when every action movie had to follow the Die Hard formula to be successful. Eventually, that lost its effectiveness. That may happen with the MCU as well if it doesn't adapt. Fox has shown with Deadpool, X-men First Class, and Logan that it is willing to adapt and change things around. They will gamble if they have to, although sometimes they need to be pushed, as we saw with Deadpool. I think Fox's recent changes in leadership, namely the firing of Tom Rothman (who was responsible for a lot of the decisions that ruined X3 and Wolverine Origins), will help in this effort. Fox is trying to change things up more with TV shows like Legion and grittier movies like Logan. It may not pay off in the short-term, but in the long-term, it can be very effective.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.