Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Now let's see how our distinguished competition aka the inhumans is doing...

Kinda funny seeing people who supposedly run stores having no idea about how economics work. Im working in Retail and here in Germany you actually have to work and go to school for years and pass tests if you want to learn a job and be officially certified that you have indeed learned it and are proficient in it. Speaking with my father who lives in the US confirmed that that isn't really the case there and it shows.

If these guys are representative for store owners all over the US then it's no wonder why comics are just a niche thing at most.
    "This is me being reasonable"

this made my day

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Kinda funny seeing people who supposedly run stores having no idea about how economics work. Im working in Retail and here in Germany you actually have to work and go to school for years and pass tests if you want to learn a job and be officially certified that you have indeed learned it and are proficient in it. Speaking with my father who lives in the US confirmed that that isn't really the case there and it shows.

If these guys are representative for store owners all over the US then it's no wonder why comics are just a niche thing at most.
    Do you know how direct distribution format works for lcs 's, don't cha? Because it's pretty much ordering certain amount, paying for your order and for the shipping, and praying you make profit from it, sure preorders help but you have no idea what's gonna sell and lcs owners are well aware that Tumblr =/= sales... Now if on top of it marvel is sending you extra copies that you still have cover the shipping cost, they take space of other comics that could sell more, and on top of it you can't sell them because nobody wants to buy mosaic , it means you're gonna lose money. Oh and lcs will be less likely to order non conventional comics from marvel because they keep pulling this shaneningans...

Finally most store owners agree that X men are always a sure sales order and are begging marvel to publish more X books.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    this made my day
    Also mosaic orders of #3 are overshipped to match #2 that's already overshipped to match #1... I'm sure I can to an lcs and ask the owner for money to get rid of them
    Last edited by somacula; 12-13-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Do you know how direct distribution format works for lcs 's, don't cha? Because it's pretty much ordering certain amount, paying for your order and for the shipping, and praying you make profit from it, sure preorders help but you have no idea what's gonna sell and lcs owners are well aware that Tumblr =/= sales... Now if on top of it marvel is sending you extra copies that you still have cover the shipping cost, they take space of other comics that could sell more, and on top of it you can't sell them because nobody wants to buy mosaic , it means you're gonna lose money. Oh and lcs will be less likely to order non conventional comics from marvel because they keep pulling this shaneningans...

Finally most store owners agree that X men are always a sure sales order and are begging marvel to publish more X books.
    Given that the Overship Program is an optional program you sign up for, they are in no position to bitch about the free merchandise they receive.

If they didn't have the storage space, they shouldn't have signed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post

Quite a few comic shop owners are probably comic fans first and businessmen second.

This is not something you do to get rich (or even well-off) after all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    Quite a few comic shop owners are probably comic fans first and businessmen second.

This is not something you do to get rich (or even well-off) after all.
    That's why you add table games like warhammer 40k, magic or yu gi oh and host tournaments, to increase your profit
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    Given that the Overship Program is an optional program you sign up for, they are in no position to bitch about the free merchandise they receive.

You sign into that expecting to get comics you can easily sell (maybe more spiderman or x men) not more mosaic or slapstick that you can barely sell. If anything it'll store owners more likely to sign off from it

You sign into that expecting to get comics you can easily sell (maybe more spiderman or x men) not more mosaic or slapstick that you can barely sell. If anything it'll store owners more likely to sign off from it
    The stated function of the program is to test consumer demand, to get those unproven titles on shelves at no cost to the retailer.

Anyone expecting to get the proven A listers is an idiot who has no place running a business.

BANNED

The stated function of the program is to test consumer demand, to get those unproven titles on shelves at no cost to the retailer.

Anyone expecting to get the proven A listers is an idiot who has no place running a business.
    No, at this point if you're losing money by paying for shipments of comics that you can barely sell you're an idiot for remaining in that program and marvel is abusing it to inflate their own sales charts

BANNED

Is it just me or is everything doing kinda bad?

Uncanny Inhumans is racing towards that cancellation line.

The Inhuman books have been kept on life support since the beginning. It was a hella artificial push.
    On ye olde CBR

No, at this point if you're losing money by paying for shipments of comics that you can barely sell you're an idiot for remaining in that program and marvel is abusing it to inflate their own sales charts
    They're not abusing it to inflate their sales charts, they're using it to get titles on the shelf that the retailers might be iffy about taking a risk on. (Again stated function.)

BANNED

They're not abusing it to inflate their sales charts, they're using it to get titles on the shelf that the retailers might be iffy about taking a risk on. (Again stated function.)
    Most retailers have said that they cut their orders of such books to zero because those barely sell, or at most they sell one. It's understandable to do it for a #1 that retailers may be reluctant to order but around issue #3 you're more or less able to measure Reader's demand and if its zero there's no reason to order it and marvel if abusing their system by marching the previous order or over shipping it

Extraordinary Member

This is not the Diamond Overship Program. I don't even think those are free, just basically returnable. This is a new program Marvel is doing on their own (with help from Diamond, of course).

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/3...ailer-programs

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I wholeheartedly, respectfully disagree. I think a lot of people follow characters.
    Yep, agree.

It has to be an outstanding story and pitch to get me to try a book that has a cast I'm not particularly interested in. And sure, I don't know what I'm missing or whatever, but, given the cost of comics and just how many are around, I'm going to be very selective in what I purchase. Why pay $3.99 for a book about the adventures of Chipmunk Girl, Muscle Guy and Puddles, in hopes that I'll learn to be interested in them, when I can pick up a book with my favorites and go in interested from the start?

I'm not against dumping on the Inhumans but it's always uncomfortable seeing a white dude making these types of comments about a PoC character/title. Especially given our current social climate and the fact that there have been reports of racist LCS owners discouraging customers from purchasing even the good PoC titles like Miles Morales.