Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Star-Spangled War Stories, #1

"Star-Spangled War Stories" #1 introduces G. I. Zombie in a story written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray with art from Scott Hampton.

Full review here.

Story: 4.5 stars
    Art: 3 stars
    Overall: 4 stars

That's how I'd have broken it down. Like the original reviewer alluded to, Hampton's art is a bit static but worked well for this story. I'll be back next issue!

I thought this was really good. I'm liking the female lead. It felt like I was watching a pilot. I dno how far-fetched the series will go, but judging by this first issue, I can see it as a T.V. show.
    Currently Reading: Batman and Robin, LOW, Southern Bastards, Swamp Thing

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I wasn’t going to get this. I have little interest in things “G.I.” and none in things “zombie”. But I really enjoyed Palmiotti/Gray’s Jonah Hex, and their Power Girl, and it’s fairly priced. And I’ve been a big Scott Hampton fan since “Silver Heels” came out from Pacific, so I added “Star Spangled War Stories featuring…G.I. Zombie” to the week’s purchases.

I like the developing relationship between Carmen and Jared. I like Jared’s attitude: he does what’s right for Jared, everyone else kiss off. But he’s a good soldier (at least as seen so far) and his heart’s good (at least as seen so far). I like being surprised several times the first time through: at the whole opening sequence, and its follow up, and at the direction the title’s taking. I like being surprised at liking this “G.I. Zombie” comic.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I liked it a lot. The story was strongest part of the book and the art was decent, but not stellar. I really liked both characters by the end of the issue. Hope it sticks around for a while.

Haven't picked this up yet, but I def am.
    Engaging discussion of comics 10 years old or older http://classiccomics.boards.net

Amazing Member

I picked it up this week based on all the positive reviews and I really enjoyed it, I thought the art was perfect for the subject matter and I liked the idea of Jared's body being able to put itself back together which I hadn't seen in a zombie story before. I have really enjoyed All-Star Western but based on the solicits wasn't going to pick this up, but when I saw so many positive reviews I gave it a chance, I'm glad I did.

Edit: Wanted to add, I always enjoy Palmiotti/Gray's bringing in real-world events, in this case the Bergdahl controversy
    Last edited by gimpboy76; 08-01-2014 at 10:07 AM.