Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    well I can name some female superheroes that barely got oversexualized.

I think that UN overstimated how women in general view superheroines, if them view WW this way, it is DC/WB failure
    More like a failure of humanity.
    Some women are sexy, some are not, so are heroines.
    Only diversity is important, by your words, DC/Marvel did it pretty well,right?
    Sexy yes,but WW's far from oversexualized.
    And she's strong and independant, so what's the problem?
    Women in middle east have their body covered, but many of them are mere object.

PS. My English is not good, I apologize if my words feel agitated. It's just I can't express very well. I didn't mean to
    Last edited by anarki; 12-14-2016 at 10:52 PM.

Mighty Member

Jean Grey, Kitty Pryde, Rogue, Batgirl.
    all them have been sexualized
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 12-15-2016 at 07:47 AM.

I think the messaging got mixed up along the way...

But in a phone interview with NPR today, Jeffrey Brez, a United Nations official in the same department, said that while the plan was for DC Comics to continue activities in the coming year, the U.N. piece was never intended to last as long.

"We always knew it would end in December," Brez said. "Soon after the launch [on October 21] we said, what day should it actually end on? And we decided on December 16 because after that, the holidays were coming up, and it didn't make sense to continue the campaign into the holiday season."

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsand...omes-to-an-end
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Extraordinary Member

Jean Grey, Kitty Pryde, Rogue, Batgirl.
    Not Kitty Pryde or Rogue.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

well I can name some female superheroes that barely got oversexualized.

I think that UN overstimated how women in general view superheroines, if them view WW this way, it is DC/WB failure
    Wonder Woman has been dressed the same from the start. When she became a feminist icon she was dressed like that.
    "Large breast" are not "impossible."

What exactly are they supposed to do?

Well, i guess they can do what they did with Batgirl and turn her into a "hip" teenager wearing a leather jacket and boots.

Marvel did do it with Spider-woman but that's probably cause she is not as high up in the super hero tier.

Remember, they did try pants already.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Oh come one...

Rogue has been sexualised since at least the 90's, and while Kitty got it better than most female superhero characters, there's still crap like this, by Saint Claremont no less.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Oh come one...

Rogue has been sexualised since at least the 90's, and while Kitty got it better than most female superhero characters, there's still crap like this, by Saint Claremont no less.

but those were the X-TREME X-men!

They have to be X-TREME!

Wait 'til that Wonder Woman movie comes out, in the summer of 2017. They'll be begging Gal Gadot or Lynda Carter to come back and be an ambassador...

Hope they both tell the U.N to kiss off!
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

The greatest sin committed by Wonder Woman, apparently, isn't anything to do with violence or her outfit. Those are superficial.

The real problem it seems is that men actually find her attractive.
    The problem they're stating is that Wonder Woman has been written and drawn by men as a sexual fantasy for men. Wonder Woman doesn't have to look like a gorgeous white woman who's both busty and skinny, she's drawn that way for the sake of the male reader. That's the message they're trying to send. If they were attacking Angelina Jolie for being too attractive to be a feminist icon, that would be shameful. But they're instead attacking the way men have chosen to depict her.

Not that I agree with them, nor do I think this is why WW isn't ambassador anymore. But they have a point, even though protesting a rather silly and useless title for a fictional character is a complete waste of time from my perspective.

Amazing Member

This is just absurd. Marston himself based WW's looks and outfit on Vargas pinup girls, so sex appeal has been a part of her character from the beginning. Sure, some artists go too far, but it shouldn't be ignored or discarded (and the 90s weren't exactly the best time for comic book art in general anyway).

I also can't help notice the hypocrisy of all the complaints. Apparently body-shaming women is wrong except if they're white and have large breasts.

After all the complains that i have read about this; it seems that this is the only superheroine qualified to be an UN Ambassador is Faith:

Dont you remember X-women; besides that all the Clareamazons ended up in bondage or brainwashed pretty often.

Invincible Member

It's a troubling complaint. That she's too "hot" to be a fictional ambassador for women's right while she's recognized as a empowering figure for women and girls the world over.

Honestly, after watching (from afar) the real-life abject horror that is Aleppo (and other international atrocities), my question is Why would Wonder Woman want to be associated with such a powerless, toothless and spineless organization in the first place? Why would any fictional character? It is not a honor in my eyes.

Now, the Red Cross or Doctors without Borders or some truely humanitarian organizations that help ppl on the ground in those hot spots? Yes, definitely. But the UN? No thanks.

As fictional characters go, I think it is incredibly ignorant for some to be critical of Wonder Woman or her appearance in terms of her accomplishing the goal of being inspiring. Wonder Woman (at the very least the modern versions) doesn't train women on how to apply makeup or dress to be idolized by men. She teaches them to seek peace and to know that a woman is capable of everything a man is as well. She can do that through training, or educating herself, and by overcoming any fears they may have.

Ultimately, Wonder Woman is similar to Thor. Are both characters attractive, absolutely, but that is not in any way what defines them completely. It is one attribute they have, but is not by any means the only one. Is Diana drawn in ways that make her attractive to men, absolutely, but her character is defined as having the beauty of Aphrodite. An argument could be made about why all other women in comics have to have the beauty and dimensions of Diana, when it isn't really a factor in their character, but that's a whole other story.

Ultimately Superman and Batman are both presented in ways so they would be attractive to women. Superman is an alien, and as such should in all honesty look something like Martian Manhunter or something odd or weird. Instead, for no defined reason at all he's drawn as a leading man in terms of looks. Batman is a normal human, and should be scarred and show the signs of all the years he's been fighting, but is drawn as a charismatic leading man most times, as a way for women to be attracted to them Yes, Batman is supposed to be a playboy, so you could at least say that) . Superman and Batman are both drawn that way to cater to female readers. Watching the Christopher Reeve Superman movies, Lois Lane is all over daydreaming of him. Thor's and Captain America are having their chests felt up by women. Even dorky Spider-Man hasn't really been drawn as a dork for years. With Diana, her character is actually defined as possesing great beauty. Realistically I don't mind the men all looking like leading men (with a few exceptions), but I think attacking Diana for her beauty is a bit ignorant. I'd raise the question more as to why every female heroine has to look similarly to Diana, when most of them have no reason why they are necessarily beautiful.
    Last edited by DisneyWWfan; 12-18-2016 at 12:25 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Honestly, after watching (from afar) the real-life abject horror that is Aleppo (and other international atrocities), my question is Why would Wonder Woman want to be associated with such a powerless, toothless and spineless organization in the first place? Why would any fictional character? It is not a honor in my eyes.

Now, the Red Cross or Doctors without Borders or some truely humanitarian organizations that help ppl on the ground in those hot spots? Yes, definitely. But the UN? No thanks.
    Likely because the UN is more than just preventing and cleaning up after wars.

Also I am going to correct you, it's neither toothless or cowardly. What it is, is flawed, and that flaw is having 5 permanent members on the security council and giving each of them veto rights.