View Poll Results: Which is better?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kyle and Yost

68 59.13%
  • Remender

47 40.87%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Remender's X-Force got progressively worse. After the Dark Angel Saga it took a nose dive. Final Execution was complete garbage.
    On ye olde CBR

Incredible Member

I just put a poll

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    They murdered a kid!

that can NOT be any other X man book at all

you cannot go "minus the killing" here lol.

Remender was actually able to make Fantomex interesting, Deadpool more "real," and less cartoonish, Psylocke somethign more than a ass cheeks and a sword, and satisfactorily brought the Arch Angel thing to some sort of a good conclusion for that aspet fo the character.

Yosts X force was a good book but Remender's was next level shit
    Is it not the same Evan that joined WatXM for wacky adventures...? I get what you mean, but besides that opening arc, they never really dealt with heavy themes much.

It was more wide-range storytelling than black-ops. X-Force had them going after specific mutant-hating nuts, X-23's conflict with killing again, Warren and Rahne going animalistic, Wolverine and Cyclops agreeing that killing their enemies was a good decision, etc... much better character development than I felt Remember dealt with his characters in regards to what they were doing.

What I remember most from RR run in terms of 'development' was the annoying Fantomex and Psylocke romance. Besides that and some decent Deadpool character beats, I can't say it was memorable. So no, I don't think RR was next level at all.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 12-13-2016 at 03:00 PM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Remender's UXF did leave a lot to be desired in the stories he decided to tell. Even the resolution (of sorts) for Dark Beast, Pestilence and her babies with Archangel was lackluster and peetered out on UA (pre-AXIS).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BlitheringToot View Post
    Remender's run ... bored me. Kyle/Yost's run was an entertaining ride from start to finish. .
    I couldn't get into Remender's run. But I just dropped it after the first arc. I disliked the way he wrote Psylocke and Phantom X was straight up annoying. Kyle and Yost could be a tad excessive and some of stories just felt rushed. But in all it was good read. It was really helped along by the art and it had great dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Is it not the same Evan that joined WatXM for wacky adventures...? I get what you mean, but besides that opening arc, they never really dealt with heavy themes much.

It was more wide-range storytelling than black-ops. X-Force had them going after specific mutant-hating nuts, X-23's conflict with killing again, Warren and Rahne going animalistic, Wolverine and Cyclops agreeing that killing their enemies was a good decision, etc... much better character development than I felt Remember dealt with his characters in regards to what they were doing.

What I remember most from RR run in terms of 'development' was the annoying Fantomex and Psylocke romance. Besides that and some decent Deadpool character beats, I can't say it was memorable. So no, I don't think RR was next level at all.
    I would like to add both Remender's and Aaron's RRrrrr-cyclops HATE!!!!
    The sad thing is they never dealt with Wolverines hypocrisy as certain authors did with Scott's "fall" into more drastic measures to protect mutants. I hoped Storm, Rogue, even Beast of all people would of called out wolverine especially during UA or even after the DAS storyline but nothing happened. Unless you count Axis but that was underwhelming and problematic. Poor Evan is just floating around until someone takes Apocalypse's place or find a storyline outside of clone dilema. Unlike KY's X-Force, UXF themes and events where to an extend carried by Remender in the tiles he was working for at the time for Marvel and only a few writers bothered to actually do something with the creations he made. Even now with the whole Xavier Brain storyline and Apocalypse Twins should of has some sort of ramifications in WATXM or even UXM but nothing happened. We are barely dealing with any sort of ramification that should of had the respective characters or parties involved years ago that quite recently. I do understand his "inspiration" to Claremonts use of long process storytelling but you are also talking about a different comics market and process at the time. When comparing DPS and DAS you may see where DAS failed in the long run. Remender enjoys his long arc storytelling and sadly he bit off more than he could chew. A bitter lesson every writer should learn at some point in their careers. I did hear rumours of course had his plans been allowed to continue in writing X-Men with an event called the Apocalypse Crusade concerning the Apocalypse Twins. However it is unknown who would of been involved in that story or if it would or properly dealt with anything and at least tie loose ends.
    Last edited by Izanami; 12-13-2016 at 03:55 PM.
    I come when there's something to take but I never give anything back.
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Izanami View Post
    I would like to add both Remender's and Aaron's RRrrrr-cyclops HATE!!!!
    The sad thing is they never dealt with Wolverines hypocrisy as certain authors did with Scott's "fall" into more drastic measures to protect mutants. I hoped Storm, Rogue, even Beast of all people would of called out wolverine especially during UA or even after the DAS storyline but nothing happened. Unless you count Axis but that was underwhelming and problematic. Poor Evan is just floating around until someone takes Apocalypse's place or find a storyline outside of clone dilema. Unlike KY's X-Force, UXF themes and events where to an extend carried by Remender in the tiles he was working for at the time for Marvel and only a few writers bothered to actually do something with the creations he made. Even now with the whole Xavier Brain storyline and Apocalypse Twins should of has some sort of ramifications in WATXM or even UXM but nothing happened. We are barely dealing with any sort of ramification that should of had the respective characters or parties involved years ago that quite recently. I do understand his "inspiration" to Claremonts use of long process storytelling but you are also talking about a different comics market and process at the time. When comparing DPS and DAS you may see where DAS failed in the long run. Remender enjoys his long arc storytelling and sadly he bit off more than he could chew. A bitter lesson every writer should learn at some point in their careers. I did hear rumours of course had his plans been allowed to continue in writing X-Men with an event called the Apocalypse Crusade concerning the Apocalypse Twins. However it is unknown who would of been involved in that story or if it would or properly dealt with anything and at least tie loose ends.

Uxf never had rrr cyclops

I meant the consequences after DAS such as what happened in UA with Havok and Wolverine for WATXM. Since those titled carried some stuff over from UXF. Should of clarified there. This is what happens when you write down but never edit your typed statements.
    I know what you want. But it is not here. It's gone and it will never ever come again...

Quote Originally Posted by Izanami View Post
    I meant the consequences after DAS such as what happened in UA with Havok and Wolverine for WATXM. Since those titled carried some stuff over from UXF. Should of clarified there. This is what happens when you write down but never edit your typed statements.
    UA and WatXM weren't UXF though. Anything written in that book can't be held for or against UXF

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    UA and WatXM weren't UXF though. Anything written in that book can't be held for or against UXF
    In a way it can and I will explain why after I did some deep analysis on something the posters brought up on this threat that made me see things quite differently. Several posters mentioned why KY X-Force felt different than UXF in several ways and it got me thinking, one of the big contributions to this is how KY X-Force was felt through other titles and actually had a large impact on the events that went on in the storyline. I did a comparison in the above post as to how that played out especially with Axis and UA. Although KY X-Force had your typical black ops storyline its ramifications and impact was felt through the entire X-World. There was a sense of urgency and need for such a group to exist while playing off several themes of the X-Men. UXF and its sequel series UA by extension; since you can tell the events with the Apocalypse Twins was supposed to be the third season of UXF, the conclusion to the things that were introduced became quite underwhelming. I can understand the rushed Final Execution Arc since he intended to go into a third season in a way before Marvel shipping him to Uncanny Avengers and fixing the Scarlet Witch dilemma. Earlier on due to the effects of Schism it did affect the title in some way even if none of us want to admit it sadly played a critical role. Remender's story lines may be epic in scale but at the same time cannot be self contained due to their nature. At some point they have to seep into the other titles and play off those consequences. That is why several consequences/conclusions felt underwhelming and left hanging in the air until someone decides to fix it or disappear on their own and left forgotten. In addition to that the state of the X-Books at the time of KY X-Force and UXF where quite different. There is a reason why the impact is greater on KY X-Force vs UXF especially the second half after schism and before AvsX. Its quite interesting when you think about it.

I also forgot to add the uncanny habit of Remender of introducing characters with potential story arcs and possible additions to the rogues gallery he often kills then quickly and replaces them with a new character that will ultimately die like their predecessor and hence be replaced with another character ad infinitum. It happens several times in the stories he writes. However this may affect the reader quite differently and may or may not be taken into account when critiquing his UXF book considering its nature of dark and gritty. I believe his black science book does the samething several times now with a time loop. *bloop*

Extraordinary Member

I haven't posted anything in years, but I just wanted to say that I prefer Remender's Uncanny X-Force. It has its faults, it's not perfect, but the fact is, The Dark Angel Saga is still one of my favorite arcs in comics. And his take on Deadpool is my favorite. And even the final arc is one I really enjoy, mostly because it is so stupid: A very drunk and pathetic Daken gets the idea from Sabretooth that kidnapping the clone of Apocalypse to make him evil or something is a good and practical idea. Heck, he decides that torturing a thirteen-year-old boy into being an evil and insane agent of chaos and death is a good idea because it will tick Wolverine off. The sheer absurdity of it all, the casual way Sabretooth goes about all of this is interesting. He's doing all of this just to screw with Logan, and didn't seem to have a real plan for what to do if it didn't work out the way it did.

But my favorite thing about the series is the sequence of panels before and after Fantomex kills Kid-Apocalypse. It's carefully chaotic, it's full of tension, it's stressful to read, and then it lulls you into a false sense of comfort and BAM!

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Not.
    Even.
    Close.
    Yep, this.
    Remender's X-Force all the way.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

i liked Yost Kyle one more. really good continuity art and cast. UXF is good too but i precer Xf
    X-Men Forever

Kyle & Yost 4 LIFE.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Both really great books.
    But in very different ways.
    Though, both had AMAZING art.

Remender's was more self-contained, while Kyle/Yost's was more cohesive with the rest of the X-line. Kyle/Yost used lesser known characters in new ways and Remender had fresh takes on old themes. Remender's story was more complex and grandeur, whereas Kyle/Yost's story was more straightforward, but not too simple-minded.

I think Remender's downfall was both Schism and AvX. Editorial messed up his game. Remember, he originally wanted to do the Apocalypse Twins story arc in his UXF run and I think things would have been more cohesive and flowed better if he had the chance. However, I, for one, absolutely loved his first Uncanny Avengers run. Those character beats he had were ace.
    Last edited by gifted; 12-14-2016 at 01:45 AM.

“Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella