Thread: Digital Comics

All-New Member

Default Digital Comics

It's been years since digital comics came into our lives. We're more than halfway through 2016. What's your stand on the print and digital format of comic books?

I think it's a good way to read them if you want to own it but don't have the space. Especially if you are planning on collecting a lot of books.

I have purchased a couple. I don't have space for a lot of book collections. But I live 10 minutes away from a very large library now though. So it's pretty convenient to just borrow what I want to read from there.

I think "Rebirth" is the answer to the question of how many digital comics DC has been selling since 2011. Digital sales must have generally matched print sales for DC to do a reboot-ish event. Can't quite argue that digital sales were through the roof and DC was making pallet loads of money from them. If that were true, they wouldn't be doing an overhaul of the content. So I'm thinking digital money is in the realm of subscription money 'back in the day.'

Personally, I like reading on a computer just fine but as a collector I must get the hard copies...at least of the characters/titles I collect.

I still wouldn't pay full cover price for a digital comic. I still see it as a rip-off. From a $3 comic, around $2 is for printing and distribution. If our transaction cuts out 2/3 of the cost then the price should go down. That, I believe, would lead to a much larger # of digital comics sold at no increased cost to DC. So...buying digital still doesn't seem like a good idea for me.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by fumetti View Post
    I think "Rebirth" is the answer to the question of how many digital comics DC has been selling since 2011. Digital sales must have generally matched print sales for DC to do a reboot-ish event. Can't quite argue that digital sales were through the roof and DC was making pallet loads of money from them. If that were true, they wouldn't be doing an overhaul of the content. So I'm thinking digital money is in the realm of subscription money 'back in the day.'

Personally, I like reading on a computer just fine but as a collector I must get the hard copies...at least of the characters/titles I collect.

I still wouldn't pay full cover price for a digital comic. I still see it as a rip-off. From a $3 comic, around $2 is for printing and distribution. If our transaction cuts out 2/3 of the cost then the price should go down. That, I believe, would lead to a much larger # of digital comics sold at no increased cost to DC. So...buying digital still doesn't seem like a good idea for me.
    Have you tried purchasing digital comics from Amazon? Comic books are cheaper there and these Kindle version of comics can also be downloaded in the comiXology app. However, most of the digital comic books sold in Amazon are collected editions and not single issues.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

I don't buy digital comics and I never will. I just don't like the format or feel justified in paying money for an object that doesn't have some kinda physicality.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner 6655321 View Post
    I don't buy digital comics and I never will. I just don't like the format or feel justified in paying money for an object that doesn't have some kinda physicality.
    Same thing here. I still buy Blu Rays refuse to buy digital movies either.

I'm 100% a digital reader. I occasionally pick up a copy of Previews when I got a 12hr OT shift coming up. I mostly read the TPB once & immediately delete. Comics are garbage reads like Time or Newsweek.

I've been buying digital comics since Comixology became the main hub for it. And this week, I reached a major milestone. I bought my 2,000th comic. Yes, I've spent THAT much money on comics with Comixology alone. Since I didn't always live near a comic shop, it's been a big part of my comic book world. Without it, I don't think I'd be able to support my favorite comics or follow along as closely as I have. I know it's not the same as having the actual book, but for a guy like me who had the rotten luck of not being near comic shops, digital comics are the way to go.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I buy my TPBs for £3-£5 on eBay and sell most of them after I've read them. For me, moving to digital - even the $1 sales - would increase my costs .

Add in the DRM, the lack of a decent eReader that I can see clearly in the sun and the general nice feel of physical comics, I'm not moving over yet.

It may happen one day though.

All-New Member

Recently, I decide go Digital. I've always been big on supporting local business like the local comic shop. But with comics, I have no room to store the comics. And I just started reading more and more comics than I did last year. So I've gone digital just for the fact I don't have the space.
    However, I refuse to pay full price for the digital copy. If I'm going spend $5 it better be the hard copy instead.

Amazing Member

I have moved to digital almost entirely. I've signed up for Marvel Unlimited and it's brilliant. If I want to read some old X-Men, I don't have to go and dig them out from up in the loft, I can just read them. For $9.99 a month, you can't go wrong.

There are some drawbacks on reading digital - double page spreads for instance- and French comics with the bigger page size can be awkward. However, old Marvel stuff looks really good. I've been reading Ditko's Dr Strange on my phone and it's almost like it was designed for a small device.

Once I've bought Providence 12, I think that will be it for me for old fashioned comics.

Incredible Member hedgehogvampire's Avatar

I have no problem with Digital comics. I do overall prefer the physical copy but I do like digital when trying out new comics. Like with Marvel Unlimited I could pretty much read any Marvel comic that I want for free and if I like them enough I could buy the physical copy. I also just got ComiXology and bought a few comics and graphic novels on sale, so thats cool. I will never buy a 4$ or 5$ on a digital comic though.
    My pull list: Sonic the Hedgehog, TMNT, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Marauders, X-men, Excalibur

My number one complaint is Marvel giving us a "Free" digital comic with every purchase. Which I will always say actually costs us a buck. I agree with someone else that perhaps the price is too high, but the digital world everywhere is still too high, I think. I also don't feel that the "perfect" comic reader is out there yet. I'm not sure what that might be yet, but I don't feel it is there.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.