Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Black Hammer

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I read the last JLA Black Hammer team up and I loved it. I think the tone of the two books make it a challenge. Black Hammer is so modern and it deconstructs super heroes in a way that emphasizes the "comic book-i-ness" that is inherent in the JLA. Of course I am on board for more Mxyzptlk in the Dark Horse universe.

I think the Black Hammer / Justice League Hardcover is sold out already in the UK. Can't find it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    I think the Black Hammer / Justice League Hardcover is sold out already in the UK. Can't find it anywhere.

Book Depository still have it.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Black...5786006&sr=1-1

Or for less money, Reed Comics have it to preorder

https://www.reedcomics.com/black-ham...tice-hardcover
    Last edited by FluffySheep; 04-18-2020 at 11:59 AM.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    Book Depository still have it.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Black...5786006&sr=1-1

Or for less money, Reed Comics have it to preorder

https://www.reedcomics.com/black-ham...tice-hardcover
    Fab thanks! Reed Comics seems good and for £11 plus £2 postage seems like a great deal, even if I haven't read it.

Anyone know the story behind the name change from Doctor Star to Doctor Andromedia? There was a Bleeding Cool article awhile back pointing out the change but I’ve never seen any explanation from the creators.
    87D093D4-0CF0-4AAA-90B4-A521366DA8C5.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by comicfiend View Post
    Anyone know the story behind the name change from Doctor Star to Doctor Andromedia? There was a Bleeding Cool article awhile back pointing out the change but I’ve never seen any explanation from the creators.
    No, they haven't commented on it officially. My guess is it had to do with the film and TV deals opening up the series to mediums where that name wasn't legally viable. If you look at The Quantum Age single issues versus the final trade, a bunch of character names changed in there too. Though that could just be a timing coincidence.

Default Black Hammer Phase I suggested reading order

the new Colonel Weird series started. In case anyone, like me, has been wildly out of the loop.

Incredible Member

3 Warnings to Potential New Readers of Black Hammer:

(1) Go in with expectations that the book is "good", not "great" and not the "best thing going in comics." As always, expectations management -- whether for comic books or movies and tv show -- helps a lot in your eventual enjoyment of the product.

(2) The central mystery of the main series takes a lonnnnnng time to finally be solved and explained to the reader. You have to be okay with that to start in on Black Hammer.

(3) You do have to have an appreciation for homages/pastiches of classic/iconic superheroes, mostly from the DC universe. You can still enjoy Black Hammer without that but I'd say appreciation of the homages/pastiches is probably 20% of the intended experience. So, you'd be missing out on the full enjoyment of the series if you can't dig homages.

Carry on ;-)

I have been on and off this universe and while reading last post, in particular third point, I started wondering. Would it be fair to call Black Hammer universe as another layer of DC Universe? It is hard to explain, but when I look at some of the things that Lemire is doing and how they relate to DC Universe... can you really judge Black Hammer separately?
    Last edited by HsssH; 05-19-2021 at 08:59 AM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Skullkicker and Skeleton Boy
    Should I pick up the trade or wait some more for a World of Black Hammer Library HC?

I found out recently that Lemire plans to end Black Hammer next year. Such a shame... there's so much potential for more stories to be told. He said he has one more in mind that he'd like to return to "after a few years away," so that's something, but I'm still bummed. It's been wonderful.