Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 134

Thread: Black Hammer

  1. #76
    Astonishing Member Joker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,583

    Default

    Didn't seem to me like it'd be the best first entry.

    1) it's the 3rd spin off.
    2) it's basically a prologue to a mini (?) series
    3) it's set 2000 years in the future. So, about as far removed from Black Hammer as can be.

    But I haven't read it, so.

  2. #77
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Didn't seem to me like it'd be the best first entry.

    1) it's the 3rd spin off.
    2) it's basically a prologue to a mini (?) series
    3) it's set 2000 years in the future. So, about as far removed from Black Hammer as can be.

    But I haven't read it, so.
    The main part seemed to be a take on the old-school type of Legion of Super-Heroes (not sure if specifically a pre-CoIE version, but that was the feel I got) with a brief look at what I assume was the main cast of the Black Hammer series trapped in some farm-like setting on another(?) Earth? Some of them seemed a tad petty to me, especially "Golden Gail".

  3. #78
    All-New Member TheVegasTouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I've been enjoying "Black Hammer" quite a bit and it remains one of the very few books I keep up with in single issue format. I really feel like this could be the genesis of something big, almost as if this is the beginning of a whole new world of heroes and villains that will someday grace the silver screen and beyond. If Dark Horse and Jeff Lemire were smart they'd grow this line slowly and allow other creators to get involved with the core series running courtesy of Lemiere, and a revolving group of mini-series being handled by Jeff and other creative teams. Essentially you could have something that could rival that of Valiant, or even Marvel and DC.

    The problem with one creator handling the entire workload is that eventually they'll get burnt out and move onto something different when they're is so much left to examine in the world they're building. Hopefully good things come out of the "Black Hammer" universe and they keep giving us more and more to consume. I'm excited for the future and beyond for this line of books!

    - The Vegas Touch

  4. #79
    Astonishing Member Joker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The main part seemed to be a take on the old-school type of Legion of Super-Heroes (not sure if specifically a pre-CoIE version, but that was the feel I got) with a brief look at what I assume was the main cast of the Black Hammer series trapped in some farm-like setting on another(?) Earth? Some of them seemed a tad petty to me, especially "Golden Gail".
    The Legion part is dead on. Black Hammer is in many ways a love letter to comics and it's history. Most of the characters are nods to pre existing characters. It's wonderfully done.

    Gail's not petty. You need to read BH. The characters are all nuanced and developed. It really is an incredible book.

    I'd give the first trade a whirl. I'd honestly recommend it to everyone.

  5. #80
    All-New Member TheVegasTouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I wonder why Jeff decided to re-launch the series under the "Age of Doom" subtitle right in the middle of a storyline? I found it to be a bit of an odd move and figured maybe sales were dipping and he thought a new #1 would right the ship. I don't know. I'm not complaining because it's the same story with the same characters, just under an altered title is all.

    Maybe it's a move he plans to make every 13 issues? If so, that would actually make sense and give the book a "television seasons" style feel to it. What do you guys think?

    - The Vegas Touch

  6. #81
    Mighty Member FluffySheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,913

    Default

    I read Age of Doom #1 and the FCBD issue yesterday. Really enjoyed reading the "main series" again. The FCBD issue was ok. I thought the contrast between our main heroes and the future heroes quite funny. Also intrigued to know if that was THE Lucy Weber at the end of the issue.
    Currently Pulling: Amazing Spider-man, Daredevil, Black Hammer/Justice League, Invisible Kingdom, Tommy Gun Wizards, Farmhand, Gideon Falls, Criminal, Babyteeth

    “We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

  7. #82
    Mighty Member FluffySheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,913

    Default

    I just spotted the solicitation for Age of Doom #4. I'll spoiler it just in case anyone doesn't want to see it.

    Black Hammer: Age of Doom #4
    Jeff Lemire (W), Dean Ormston (A/Cover), Dave Stewart (C), and James Harren (Variant Cover)
    On sale Aug 22
    FC, 32 pages
    $3.99
    Ongoing

    spoilers:
    The Eisner Award-winning superhero saga returns with lots of revelations!
    All is revealed when Lucy makes her way back to the farm from Dreamland, confronting the mastermind of their current situation. The revelations here will alter the fate of the Black Hammer family forever!


    Judging from the cover in the solicit, I'm guessing the "mastermind" could be Colonel Weird, seeing as he killed Talkie-Walkie earlier on. That could be too obvious but we'll see!
    end of spoilers
    Currently Pulling: Amazing Spider-man, Daredevil, Black Hammer/Justice League, Invisible Kingdom, Tommy Gun Wizards, Farmhand, Gideon Falls, Criminal, Babyteeth

    “We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

  8. #83

    Default

    Black Hammer is getting a library edition.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheVegasTouch View Post
    I wonder why Jeff decided to re-launch the series under the "Age of Doom" subtitle right in the middle of a storyline? I found it to be a bit of an odd move and figured maybe sales were dipping and he thought a new #1 would right the ship. I don't know. I'm not complaining because it's the same story with the same characters, just under an altered title is all.

    Maybe it's a move he plans to make every 13 issues? If so, that would actually make sense and give the book a "television seasons" style feel to it. What do you guys think?

    - The Vegas Touch
    One thing Black Hammer has always done is comment on the history of superhero comics and we live in a world where superhero universes seem to be rebooted, relaunched, and rebirthed every year. It felt like we needed to play around with that idea, but put a Black Hammer spin on it.

    —Jeff Lemire
    Full details here.

  9. #84
    Incredible Member Ying Ko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheVegasTouch View Post
    I really feel like this could be the genesis of something big, almost as if this is the beginning of a whole new world of heroes and villains that will someday grace the silver screen and beyond... Essentially you could have something that could rival that of Valiant, or even Marvel and DC.
    Sure but the problem is that it's such an obvious rip-off of the DC/Marvel universes that giving this a serious go would likely cause a situation that would have to be resolved in a courtroom many times over.

    Don't get me wrong, I love Black Hammer as much as the next guy. But clearly it's meant as an homage rather that establishing any kind of serious new continuity...

  10. #85
    Astonishing Member Joker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,583

    Default

    It's a love letter more than homage, but that may be tomatoe/tomahto.

    They're definitely building a universe, but I don't see the intent being starting a 60 year publishing company.

  11. #86
    Spectacular Member comicfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Anyone out there already do a homage summary of the issues published thus far?

    And, August 2018 solicits have a Library Edition that comes out 10/24 containing issues 1-11, 13 and the Annual!

  12. #87
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,247

    Default

    Just finished DOCTOR STAR. Very difficult for me to read that last issue, really heavy.

    Beautiful little series. I plan to buy the tpb to put alongside my other Black Hammer tpbs.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

  13. #88
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Just finished DOCTOR STAR. Very difficult for me to read that last issue, really heavy.

    Beautiful little series. I plan to buy the tpb to put alongside my other Black Hammer tpbs.
    That had to be the saddest mini-series I have ever read. I finished the last issue so depressed. I guess that means the writing was good, but this series is clearly written by a father who fears not being there for his wife and children, and the sadness which results when a father fails at that responsibility.

  14. #89
    Spectacular Member comicfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Doctor Star was great.

    Anyone else notice that Dark Horse a few months ago (as did Image) increase the price of their trades? Harrow County, as well as the just solicited Doctor Star trade, are now priced at $18 for only 4 issues making them $2 MORE than the singles!?

  15. #90
    Incredible Member Javasaurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    828

    Default

    I finally managed to finish Doctor Star this weekend; and it really did have me on the verge of crying. But I'm probably a prime emotional target; being the father of a young son. This one totally hit me where I live.

    Like Quasar's Bands said: the story feels like it centers around the grief of a father who has failed to be there for his family. But it does seem to offer a brief glimpse of forgiveness; which is also emotionally powerful. In the end, it's a bittersweet story.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

    Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •