Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Black Hammer

I really enjoyed this latest issue of Black Hammer; for a variety of reasons. One of them was the salute to Neil Gaiman's Sandman; it was fun and totally put me in a nostalgic mood. But I'm also loving the development of Lucy Weber as the Black Hammer; she's really hitting her stride. I laughed when Jack said "Go get 'em Tiger".
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Javasaurus View Post
    I really enjoyed this latest issue of Black Hammer; for a variety of reasons. One of them was the salute to Neil Gaiman's Sandman; it was fun and totally put me in a nostalgic mood. But I'm also loving the development of Lucy Weber as the Black Hammer; she's really hitting her stride. I laughed when Jack said "Go get 'em Tiger".
    My comic shop was shorted their copies, so I'll get it next week. I look forward to it.

Ultimate Member

Is Lonnie James supposed to be an analogue for someone or am I trying to read too much into it?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Is Lonnie James supposed to be an analogue for someone or am I trying to read too much into it?
    It's possible there is some kind of reference; but I'm having a devil of a time coming up with a solid answer. In retrospect, the whole bar scene reminds me of an arc from Neil Gaiman's Sandman. If I remember correctly: late in the Sandman series there was a story that took place in some tavern that was a actually a supernatural crossroads of sorts. But it's been a long time since I read the series; so my details could be off.

That's all I can come up with.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Javasaurus View Post
    It's possible there is some kind of reference; but I'm having a devil of a time coming up with a solid answer. In retrospect, the whole bar scene reminds me of an arc from Neil Gaiman's Sandman. If I remember correctly: late in the Sandman series there was a story that took place in some tavern that was a actually a supernatural crossroads of sorts. But it's been a long time since I read the series; so my details could be off.

That's all I can come up with.
    Oh, I'd say the last two issues are definitely supposed to be a tribute to Gaiman.

Lonnie James sorta looks like Warren Ellis from ten years ago, but that might be a coincidence. His name is similar to Ronnie James Dio who was a metal metal singer who was once in Black Sabbath ( the Deadman homage is named Jack Sabbath). The zombie seemed to be modeled on the Ramones...

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Oh, I'd say the last two issues are definitely supposed to be a tribute to Gaiman.

Lonnie James sorta looks like Warren Ellis from ten years ago, but that might be a coincidence. His name is similar to Ronnie James Dio who was a metal metal singer who was once in Black Sabbath ( the Deadman homage is named Jack Sabbath). The zombie seemed to be modeled on the Ramones...
    I had forgotten about the music references in the story; those were fun as well.

In the last two issues; it seems like Lemire has been introducing a little more humor into the story. It's not heavy-handed; but just subtle enough to broaden the emotional spectrum of the overall story. The early part of the series seemed dominated by an atmosphere of tension and desperation; which I'm not complaining about. It works. It just seems Like the story is beginning to evolve as Lucy Weber grows into her new role as the Black Hammer. I like how this series is progressing.

I finally managed to read Doctor Star over the weekend. I liked it a lot and that ending got me. Much preferred this over the Sherlock mini.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Has anyone else read The Quantum Age #1 yet? I read it the other night. It was ok. Didn't really blow me away but I'll stick with it.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    Has anyone else read The Quantum Age #1 yet? I read it the other night. It was ok. Didn't really blow me away but I'll stick with it.
    I read it. Didn't really do a whole lot for me either, but I liked it enough to continue. It's nice to have something vaguely LoSH-ish to read, and I'm down for all of the Black Hammer books.

Lots of cool things to explore, I'm hoping it picks up some steam with #2.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    As much as I've liked every Black Hammer book so far; when this one was announced, the synopsis just didn't engage me like the others did. I'm actually going to wait until this one is collected until I consider picking it up.

BANNED

The Quantum Age #1 flat out bored me... The first 2 minis were at least interesting and the first one was directly connected to the main book.

In any case, from here on out I'll be skipping the spin-offs and just sticking with the main book.

Amazing Member

Can we please talk about this latest issue?! Not to spoil, but HOLY-HELL!!!!!!!! THOSE REVELATIONS!!!!

.... and has Quantum Age picked up any? Haven't paid attention to that since the first issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthBubba View Post
    Can we please talk about this latest issue?! Not to spoil, but HOLY-HELL!!!!!!!! THOSE REVELATIONS!!!!

.... and has Quantum Age picked up any? Haven't paid attention to that since the first issue.
    I've just caught up and read issues #3, #4 and #5 back to back. I was not expecting it to go the way it did! Love this book so much. I love all of the nods to other books as well. The latest big revelation really makes me think of spoilers:
    Miracleman
    end of spoilers. I loved the nod to spoilers:
    The Endless
    end of spoilers before this too.

I've got issue #2 of Quantum Age but I've not read it yet.