Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Quote Originally Posted by GigiFusc View Post
    Watched it yesterday. Lots of pro's and cons for me:

Pros:
    - Good story
    - Good characters
    - Moves things forward

Cons:
    - Awful start - slow pacing, jumping from location to location, introducing new characters at a ridiculous pace. I kid you not, after 10 mins I was sat there with my eyes closed thinking 'God, they've fucked it up AGAIN!'
    - Failure to give context to setting for non SW fans

Overall. After a dodgy start for me, I enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it was perfect. I think it could have been a lot better - I don't think it will stay with new viewers in the same way the originals did for many of us. But by heavens this was a huge leap forward from the prequels and from TFA (which for me was a pretty awful concept).

My biggest crit though, is simply that they didn't give anywhere near enough context. I went with a group of 8 made up of 1 male adult proper SW fan(me), one general male adult casual sci fi fan, one female adult who watched SW years ago and likes them but isn't what you would call a knowledgeable fan, one female adult who just about remembers a bit from watching SW but isn't really a big sci fi fan, two 13 year old boys who watched SW a few years ago but aren't ardent fans and 2 girls (11 and 16) who again, have watched the films a year or two ago and aren't core fans but do like them.

Out of that group of stragglers, I was the only one who understood the context and had to explain to the other 7 what the hell was going. Once I did, they got it, but all wished the film had explained it.

So, in that small snapshot, I can only come to the conclusion that unless you know quite a bit about SW lore, you will likely get a bit confused about what's going on. With a bit of context, that confusion just goes away. Schoolboy error IMO. Luckily, the film grows into itself and despite that lack of context, is still very enjoyable in its own right.

I am very happy to have a decent SW film out there after all these years and I'm also happy that JJ Abrams has been shown up for the fraud he is because Rogue one is far, far better than TFA. Well done to all involved.
    What was confusing about the context to them and you?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    What was confusing about the context to them and you?
    I think he simply means "the film takes place just slightly before A New Hope".

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I think he simply means "the film takes place just slightly before A New Hope".
    That's exactly what I mean. As I said, I knew exactly where it was set but every other person I was with didn't clock this. Actually, some of them thought this was the sequel to TFA! (Which I was surprised about and had to endure criticism on behalf of Disney that this was even more confusing with the timeline of upcoming SW films being unclear as to what was what). Thinking about it, this might have been one of the main sources for confusion. Maybe?

I guess the takeaway for me is - if you haven't watched ANH in the way most fans have (i.e. many times over or for many years) there's a good chance you won't clock where you are in the SW timeline leading to confusion.

That's exactly what I mean. As I said, I knew exactly where it was set but every other person I was with didn't clock this. Actually, some of them thought this was the sequel to TFA! (Which I was surprised about and had to endure criticism on behalf of Disney that this was even more confusing with the timeline of upcoming SW films being unclear as to what was what). Thinking about it, this might have been one of the main sources for confusion. Maybe?

I guess the takeaway for me is - if you haven't watched ANH in the way most fans have (i.e. many times over or for many years) there's a good chance you won't clock where you are in the SW timeline leading to confusion.
    No offense, since the point of the movie was how the Death Star plans were stolen, which we knew happened before ANH, how hard can it be missed when it happened? I mean, it was marketed as an ANH prequel, right?

My wife has only seen the movies once and TFA 3 times. She knew where it fit. It's not that hard.

Your friends ... sound special.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

I hear a lot of folk saying that this movie's problem is that if you haven't seen a Star Wars movie you won't know what's going on.

You know what, I you haven't seen a Marvel movie and you go and see Civil War, you won't know MOST of what is happening. Why does that guy have a red face? What's Sokovia? Who is this guy with a bow? That guy who can turn into an ant, where is he from?

And yet Civil War the movie made over a billion dollars worldwide precisely because the Marvel movies build on onto the other. It hasn't been a weakness for the studio, and it certainly isn't here either.

For that matter, if you had never seen Episode 4, you might be wondering in 1980 watching Empire who is that old guy appearing as a ghost and talking about training?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor