Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Disabling the shield gate with ion torpedoes would have no effect, because the gate doesn't generate the shield. That is done on the planet. Blowing the gate causes a brief fluctuation in the shield through which the transmission can pass
    How do you get that? When the shield station falls you see the whole planet shield flicker as it's turning off.

Anyway, the point is that smashing the station does something, meaning, that disrupt it does have some effect. The ITs should've been used for this first.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    He was a Guardian of the Whills, the last and first Jedi temple. What was left after Order 66 was some Force initiates and young padawans. He was one of those. There's apparently a story coming out soon about him being blinded as a child by the Empire so he couldn't use the Force. With no Jedi to train new Jedi, the Empire thought it prudent to maim and not kill what was left of the younger Force users as to not give them cause to rebel more. To mark them and show others that it is bad to use the Force. Plus, most knowledge of the Force those children had was not in-depth enough to over compensate for severe injuries. But as seen in Rogue One, they either turn from the Force or eventually learn how to use it to some degree.

So that is why most of the Guardians you'll see are severely crippled.
    Where exactly does that info come from? Is it from extended universe stuff that existed pre-Disney? Or is it from the Marvel comics, or what? Curious to go check into that material.

This movie was fantastic. I loved every minute of it but my only gripe is that the characters weren't really all the compelling compared to like Luke, Han, Leia or even Rey and Finn. K2-SO had more personality and was more memorable than Jyn Erso and the other folks are rather forgettable minus the cool action scenes with the guardian of the whillis guys. But other than that the movie's story tied in very well into A New Hope and Vader actually felt like a real threat again (that hallway scene at the end of the movie is chill inducing). I give it an 8/10.

Regarding the Captain and Wedge, Lucas actually did consider putting Denis Lawson in ROTS as Antilles. Before Disney's overhaul, Wedge was Correlian (and it's presumed Captain Antilles was from Alderaan)-the same world as Han Solo (If that's still canon-might change with the new movie). I think Rebels confirmed Wedge was still Correlian-but if he's somehow related to the captain, it's unknown.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Actually, it is incredibly foolish - by blowing up the base they destroyed any chance of learning what the rebels were after, or why. By blowing it up they killed the one Imperial officer who could have warned them that the Death Star had a hidden flaw built into it by the head designer. Oops.
    Yes. That too LOL. But Tarkin is blinded by personal ambition. But this is us looking from the outside.

As to why Vader didn't just kill Tarkin, the answer is that Tarkin has the current favor of the Emperor, and without very compelling evidence Vader cannot simply go against Palpatine's wishes.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    How do you get that? When the shield station falls you see the whole planet shield flicker as it's turning off.

Anyway, the point is that smashing the station does something, meaning, that disrupt it does have some effect. The ITs should've been used for this first.
    You see the shield flicker many times, but it's my belief that the shield doesn't go off when the gate is smashed. Might have to watch more closely on my third viewing
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by klefmung View Post
    Where exactly does that info come from? Is it from extended universe stuff that existed pre-Disney? Or is it from the Marvel comics, or what? Curious to go check into that material.
    All of the above. Some Dark Horse stuff, too, as well as Holocron.

Most of the info has not been confirmed as gone yet. I'd say it is safe to say that it's canon since they canonized the Guardians.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Did anyone get the artbook?

Yes. That too LOL. But Tarkin is blinded by personal ambition. But this is us looking from the outside.

As to why Vader didn't just kill Tarkin, the answer is that Tarkin has the current favor of the Emperor, and without very compelling evidence Vader cannot simply go against Palpatine's wishes.
    Vader seems to see Tarkin as somewhat of an equal - they are both equally ruthless. Vader is the guy who cut down children under the age of 10 at the Jedi temple and had no problem learning that the whole war (and therefore every single life lost in it) was a sham conflict from the start, with Palpatine running both sides.
    Dark does not mean deep.

saw it this morning and enjoyed the hell out of it. The final 5 minutes was crazy and bad ass Vader was awesome. I enjoyed the Tarkin parts and wasn't that upset with the Leia CGI. Thought it ended perfectly to set up the events of A New Hope which would begin time wise like 30 minutes after Rogue One. No issues with the main characters not being fleshed out. I fully expected them all to die, just from the premise of the movie so that wasn't that big of a surprise. I enjoyed the little cameo's throughout. Have to have C3PO and R2D2, its a tradition. Only "complaint" I had and is small and silly was having an Admiral Ackbar type character leading the rebellion attack. Where I would rank this, not sure, Empire and Jedi are 1 and 2, with ANH, Rogue One and TFA the next 3 but the order changes. The prequels don't exist in my mind. They are all unwatchable. I consider Rogue One the true "prequel" to the original trilogy.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    All of the above. Some Dark Horse stuff, too, as well as Holocron.

Most of the info has not been confirmed as gone yet. I'd say it is safe to say that it's canon since they canonized the Guardians.
    This is how it works, right?:
    Old stuff post ROTJ is out completely
    Marvel stuff (the recent Marvel stuff) is definitely in
    Old stuff Pre-ROTJ is up in the air if they want to use it or not

That's pretty much how it is, right?

Extraordinary Member

Vader seems to see Tarkin as somewhat of an equal - they are both equally ruthless. Vader is the guy who cut down children under the age of 10 at the Jedi temple and had no problem learning that the whole war (and therefore every single life lost in it) was a sham conflict from the start, with Palpatine running both sides.
    Again, to Vader's thinking the very fact that Palpatine could manipulate the system so completely is evidence that the system was hopelessly flawed and needed to burned down and replaced by something that actually worked. Even before Palpatine took control it was widely acknowledged that the Senate had become corrupt and inefficient.

Again, to Vader's thinking the very fact that Palpatine could manipulate the system so completely is evidence that the system was hopelessly flawed and needed to burned down and replaced by something that actually worked. Even before Palpatine took control it was widely acknowledged that the Senate had become corrupt and inefficient.
    There wasn't anything so noble in Vader's fall - it was about protecting 'me and mine' and the rest of the galaxy could burn if that's what was needed.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member

There wasn't anything so noble in Vader's fall - it was about protecting 'me and mine' and the rest of the galaxy could burn if that's what was needed.
    Even in ROTS [which I hated] this is not the case. Anakin goes on and on about how he has brought stability to the Empire. It is an aspect of his character that Darth Vader genuinely believes he is on the side of right and justice, and anyone who can't see that is obviously an enemy of peace.

Mighty Member

Even in ROTS [which I hated] this is not the case. Anakin goes on and on about how he has brought stability to the Empire. It is an aspect of his character that Darth Vader genuinely believes he is on the side of right and justice, and anyone who can't see that is obviously an enemy of peace.
    Window dressing. It's his excuse for being a sell-out to everything he's meant to believe in. I'm not denying that he THINKS it's part of his motivation, but it's really not. Anakin Skywalker was a giant, selfish crybaby. His fall is meant to be tragic, but even as an 8-10 year old, it was all only ever really about him. Darth Vader exists because Anakin can't stop making the universe about himself. Which is, in large part, why Vader is undone once he finally decides to genuinely, without any hope of glory or accolades, do something solely for another human being. Hell, I think you could make a persuasive argument that Anakin Skywalker doesn't actually deserve to be called a Jedi until the moment of his death. Prior to that he was just going through the motions because it pleased him.