Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Siddon View Post
    Obviously I'll be skipping this movie as CBR gave it a terrible review. Apparently it wasn't as good as Suicide Squad or Ghostbusters.
    Heh.

Here was my reply comment to that review...

Another review might read like this -

This movie takes you to a place the Star Wars univers has rarely visited on the big screen and never like this. The cost of fighting a terrible war for individuals with no Force super powers, no lightsabres, just guts and a willingness to sacrifice everything for others.

It is epic, it is wrenching, it is heroic.I laughed, cried and cheered.The plot does meander slightly in the middle but from the moment Rogue One lauches this movie turns the dial up to eleven! At that point you should probably glue youself to your cinema seat, because you don't want to miss a single second of what comes next.

There is so much in this movie that is praise worthy. The digital resurrection of Peter Cushing is nothing short of gob smacking, Darth Vader's appearances are epic, and Mendalsohn sweeps through the movie as one of the most formidable Imperial Officers ever.

But make no mistake, it is the very powerful emotional undertones of this movie, the audience's investment in the Rogues of Rogue One, that move this film from merely amazing to truly incredible. In a universe dominated by Jedi and Sith, these mere mortals shine like stars.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

is this movie "great" for an action movie fan he doesn't really love the SW universe?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yeah, this all the way. Oh my God, what a movie. I was floored by it in a way that I haven't been by a SW movie since Empire. Major credit to Disney for allowing this film to be made the way it was and for the story to stay true to itself. This is not the way big budget, mass entertainment franchise entries are supposed to be and it's all the better for it.
    Exactly, nicely contained.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    is this movie "great" for an action movie fan he doesn't really love the SW universe?
    Yes, it is sooo beautifully shot. I wouldn't call myself a Star Wars fan either, but these past two movies kncoked my socks off. PLUS, dude, Donnie Yen. Not only did he do very well in this film, and hold his own with other actors, but he actually had a lot of screen time, action-wise or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    Exactly, nicely contained.

Yes, it is sooo beautifully shot. I wouldn't call myself a Star Wars fan either, but these past two movies kncoked my socks off. PLUS, dude, Donnie Yen. Not only did he do very well in this film, and hold his own with other actors, but he actually had a lot of screen time, action-wise or not.
    See, I thought Ep7 was supremely mediocre personally.

Thats why I am curious about RO because it seemed... different
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Wow, what a step back this thing was from Episode 7. I thought it was mediocre at best. The story was nothing special, but I kind of figured that would be the case going in. I really didn't care about any of the new characters, like at all. I also thought Princess Leia at the end felt forced, I mean why did they bring her with them to a battle? Some help they're going to be.

Oh and that planet with the shield around it, all I could think of is Space Balls' giant vacuum cleaner scene.

4.5/10

Definitely My 2nd least favorite Star Wars movie.

Mighty Member

I agree with you 100% about Ep7. I just loved Rogue One.

Well it had nothing to do with Han Solo meeting Chewbacker for the first time. If someone saw that, would they point it out to me. It was just about some scientists daughter who went to great lengths to recover her father honor for making the Death Star, and she did it at the price of her whole team on the Rogue One.

As for if it was worth it, I think it worked very well. When you see the plans handed to Darth Vaders daughter, just as Vader nearly enters her escape vessel, that was a very strong moment. Both C3P0 and R2D2 are seen on the Rebel stronghold near the start of the movie, and you can see how the droids made on Leia's vessel, but I don't know why they needed to make the point to memory wipe C3P0 at the end of episode III though. Did that achieve anything for New Hope?

I thought the pacing of the whole movie was intense, as soon as the grown girl appeared in prison, because she was driven to achieve her fathers redemption, and did so as a surprisingly ordinary person. The Assasin who accompanied her, successfully became a sympathetic character when he went against the council to help the girl go after her fathers suggestion on how to destroy the Death Star. He was 'touch and go' there for a while as to his motivations, but he saw enough in this girl to not pull the trigger when he did. The final confrontation between the girl and the Death Stars designer was powerful dialogue as they vented there respective anger on each other.

The Force 'Monk' was a very interesting fellow, who seemed to be some remnant of the Younglings murdered in episode III. And his humorous comment when they put a bag over his head caused a laugh in the audience where I saw it.

I can see this inclusion being a fine addition to the story of New Hope, considering the comment that the plans were gained at a great cost, in episode IV, and I can understand the Star Wars creator giving it the nod of approval because it kept to the tone and pacing of the drama needed to give the urgency of the matter. I certainly loved it, and the fact there was no happy ending put further gravitas to how the plans were passed from dead hands to dead hands, until they got to Leia.
    Last edited by jackolover; 12-16-2016 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    Wow, what a step back this thing was from Episode 7. I thought it was mediocre at best. The story was nothing special, but I kind of figured that would be the case going in. I really didn't care about any of the new characters, like at all. I also thought Princess Leia at the end felt forced, I mean why did they bring her with them to a battle? Some help they're going to be.

Oh and that planet with the shield around it, all I could think of is Space Balls' giant vacuum cleaner scene.

4.5/10

Definitely My 2nd least favorite Star Wars movie.

a step back from the mediocre copy of episode 4? Nah dude... Can't agree on that. Episode 7 was such a letdown because it was nearly a complete copy of Episode 4, I was so down after seeing it because of all the wasted opportunities.

But Rogue One? Finally a movie that is showing us the real WAR, it is called Star Wars after all. It shows us the vulnerability of these people without powers and it shows us how heroic they were nevertheless. And how they all died giving this information to Leia and thus to Luke so that they could take down the Death Star.

It was beautifully shot, especially the scenes on Scarif with the shield around it, the beaches, the gunfights on the surface and the fights in the air. It was glorious.

Rogue One could maybe even become my favourite Star Wars movie and I've seen episode 1-3 twice each and episodes 4-6 around 10 times.
    Last edited by Guardian; 12-16-2016 at 09:15 AM.
    Ramin Djawadi, the new God composer... Original Score for Warcraft is absolutely amazing and his score for Season 6 of Game of Thrones is beyond epic... THE WINDS OF WINTER

What was curious was there was a lot of scene changes from one planet to another. They seemed to go to about half a dozen planets. Can anybody recall the localities mentioned and list them here. I don't know if there were repeat planets or not.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Okay. Some thoughts about this movie and one of the things that makes it great.

No Jedi.

When I was 10 and saw STAR WARS in 1977 of course I wanted to be a Jedi Knight. But as I've gotten older I've come to appreciate that while the Jedi are awesome, a lot of the heavy lifting is done by the guys WITHOUT super powers. Who cannot deflect a barrage of blaster bolts with ease and dispatch half a dozen Stormies with a gesture. And most importantly are much mor vulnerable.

That I think was a failing of episodes 1-3. Pretty much everyone has super powers. The ordinary folks don't count for much, and in a Revenge of the Sith are next to useless.

Rogue One triumphs by showing the unsuper and often largely unsung heroes of Star Wars in a way we've never seen before. Mortal. Vulnerable. When they die, you feel it. These aren't just nameless fighter pilots being shot down. These are characters you are invested in dying in a fight against overwhelming odds. Every sacrifice is felt. Every death is poignant.

Even the nameless characters feel important. When the crew of the hammerhead corvette ram the Star Destroyer I was bouncing in my seat. GO GO GO. Come on guys, you can DO IT!

This is Star Wars in a way that you haven't seen before. You at cheering on the Rebels and getting gut punched as you do it, but those socks to the gut just make you cheer louder.
    On your point of how the powerless ones were important in this, the despondency of the girl hero after the council rejected her plan was important, because here you have just a girl now. She started off a strong character going before the council, and then she was alone. When the men confronted her in the hangar to say they wanted to fight, it brought heart back to her despondency.

But the terrifying part was when they reached their destination and had to get the okay from the girl to begin; that was the most telling moment to me that these were just ordinary people, all banking on this ordinary girl to give the nod to start this most brazen and suicidal surprise attack on the storage stronghold of the Empire. She looked so vulnerable at that moment but she never flinched. Her speech to the men just at that point was like a linebacker revving up his front line. "We go to the first point, then the next, until we come to a point we can't go any further". It was pretty much a last man standing speach. From a prisoner in a cell to a rebel leader, this girl progressed seemlessly into a soldier who should have been out of her element.
    Last edited by jackolover; 12-16-2016 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    a step back from the mediocre copy of episode 4? Nah dude... Can't agree on that. Episode 7 was such a letdown because it was nearly a complete copy of Episode 4, I was so down after seeing it because of all the wasted opportunities.

But Rogue One? Finally a movie that is showing us the real WAR, it is called Star Wars after all. It shows us the vulnerability of these people without powers and it shows us how heroic they were nevertheless. And how they all died giving this information to Leia and thus to Luke so that they could take down the Death Star.

It was beautifully shot, especially the scenes on Scarif with the shield around it, the beaches, the gunfights on the surface and the fights in the air. It was glorious.

Rogue One could maybe even become my favourite Star Wars movie and I've seen episode 1-3 twice each and episodes 4-6 around 10 times.
    I understand that criticism with Episode 7 because I kind of feel that way too. But, I still found that movie to be much more entertaining than Rogue One. I really wanted to like Rogue One too, because Star Wars Battlefield 2 is one of my all time favorite games.

I think the biggest problem I had with Rogue One is the characters. I didn't hate them like I did Jar Jar, but I certainly didn't like or care about any them, and this can be said about heroes and villains alike. Weather they live, die, hook up, or whatever made no difference to me. That kind of makes an movie hard to truly enjoy

The only really interesting thing to me is it's part of the Star Wars franchise. Because if this was some random movie I stumbled on when watching TV. I would probably pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post

I loved episode 7's Rey and her frosty the snowman droid. Superb movie. But I now wonder how Rey got her Jedi powers? I felt sure we'd get a clue in Rogue One, but this was a totally different story. I wait to find out the connection between Rey and whoever her parents are.

As for the revelation of how we got to Rogue One, that was such a surprise. The defector Empire pilot was stuck for a call sign for his flight, so he stumbled over giving the operator something off the top of his head, and it came out of the blue. It was an inspired label, seeing as it also described the ragtag crew and their mission so succinctly, like a suicide midget sub counter attacking the fait accompli reality of Empire Supremacy.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I loved episode 7's Rey and her frosty the snowman droid. Superb movie. But I now wonder how Rey got her Jedi powers? I felt sure we'd get a clue in Rogue One, but this was a totally different story. I wait to find out the connection between Rey and whoever her parents are.
    After watching Episode 7, I was concerned for the Star Wars Franchise. It was a stale rehash of Episode 4 and I couldn't stand Rey. Complete Mary Sue

"I heard of the Force." And in a few hours:

- Beats experienced TIE Pilots in air to air combat
    - Mind controls the James Bond Storm Trooper
    - Beats up a Sith Wannabee in lightsaber combat.

I'm all for a female lead, but she was beyond over the top. The only characters I liked in that movie (Han and the Baton-Wielding Stormtrooper) were killed.

Rogue 1 sparked my interest back. I'll be seeing it tonight. Huge Vader Fan and I love the Star Wars Ships so I'm hyped for this chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl70 View Post
    I'm a big movie soundtrack fan. Will some of you share how the music was in the film?
    Memorable and can't wait to listen to the soundtrack? Or, forgettable and phoned in?
    I quite liked it. I was a little thrown off at first, fearing that it would sound like a SW-wannabe like so much other spinoff media (and their imitators), but it really started to gel with me gradually.

On a side note, the film's composer is Michael Giacchino, and I love the fact that he's done music for both Star Wars and Star Trek.

I feel like it's a good movie if you're into war movies or movies like the Magnificent Seven, since it's not as enveloped in the superpowers of the main Star Wars stories. There are tons of references that serve legit story purposes, but I also feel like you don't need to know the context behind those references to get the point (i.e. that the Death Startm is a superweapon really makes it narratively no different than a superweapon in, say, a James Bond movie. You get the basic gist of why it's important).

Well there it is tonally different and has stakes. Plus, I'm noticing I am in the minority when it comes to liking Ep7, each day. lol if that helps.