Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    The defector Empire pilot was stuck for a call sign for his flight, so he stumbled over giving the operator something off the top of his head, and it came out of the blue. It was an inspired label, seeing as it also described the ragtag crew and their mission so succinctly, like a suicide midget sub counter attacking the fait accompli reality of Empire Supremacy.

Speaking of that guy, wasn't he supposed to lose his mind after they strapped him down and let that monster inside his head to know the truth about who he was and why he was there? Also, why did they keep him as a prisoner in a cell after that? Maybe I missed something.

And where was the "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" back story thing at the beginning?
    Last edited by Jackmando7; 12-16-2016 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    Speaking of that guy, wasn't he supposed to lose his mind after they strapped him down and let that monster inside his head to know the truth about who he was and why he was there? Also, why did they keep him as a prisoner in a cell after that? Maybe I missed something.
    IIRC, Saw said there was a good chance that he'd lose his mind, not that it was a sure thing. As for the cell, I dunno, but I imagine that it's just standard procedure to keep them in there just a bit longer until they can decide what to do with a prisoner.

And where was the "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" back story thing at the beginning?
    The movie started with "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" and went straight to title, but there was no opening crawl. This is the first Star Wars movie without a crawl. I imagine other anthology movies might follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    IIRC, Saw said there was a good chance that he'd lose his mind, not that it was a sure thing. As for the cell, I dunno, but I imagine that it's just standard procedure to keep them in there just a bit longer until they can decide what to do with a prisoner.

The movie started with "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" and went straight to title, but there was no opening crawl. This is the first Star Wars movie without a crawl. I imagine other anthology movies might follow suit.
    It would have been nice to get the intermediary period after Darth Vader screamed, "NO"!!, and the 15 years of consolidation through the Empire to do with the resistance collecting into a single force and picking where it was based. The jump to episode IV was quite jarring, and Rogue One didn't fill in many blanks, except introducing the Rogues and how they turned the war around. When last we saw Chewbaker, he was farewell get Yoda, and we didn't get information on Yodas destination. But Han Solo meeting Chewbaker could have been significant?
    Last edited by jackolover; 12-16-2016 at 05:17 PM.

YES! This movie was everything i was expecting and more. Would have loved to have seen Vader on the field of battle, however what we got was friggin fantastic. Love how there are no loose ends. This was well thought out and executed greatly. The no scrolling story at the begging threw me off though,lol. Great flick cant wait to see it again. Long olive STAR WARS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    It would have been nice to get the intermediary period after Darth Vader screamed, "NO"!!, and the 15 years of consolidation through the Empire to do with the resistance collecting into a single force and picking where it was based. The jump to episode IV was quite jarring, and Rogue One didn't fill in many blanks, except introducing the Rogues and how they turned the war around.
    Again, this is part of an anthology, meaning they can make any story set in any time period they wish, about anyone they wish, including the focus on new characters. It has the ability to stand as its own movie, rather than the three trilogies that depend on multiple movies to tell a single story each. It's not a straight continuation of anything so much as it is more of a spin-off or extension of things we already know.

As for the 15 years, that's what other media are covering, and that's not to say a movie about that period can't be made, either. But the powers that be chose this specific instance to tell a very specific story, when they really could have picked any era ever within the franchise, like say between Eps. V and VI, or VI and VII. The nice thing about anthologies is that the very format allows for a lot of flexibility in terms of what kinds of stories they want to tell, rather than being a strictly chronological thing.

When last we saw Chewbaker, he was farewell get Yoda, and we didn't get information on Yodas destination. But Han Solo meeting Chewbaker could have been significant?
    I''m not sure I understand what you're trying to say here, but if it is what I think it is, remember that the next anthology movie will be a young Han Solo origin story, which will most likely include how Han met Chewbacca. Patience, young padawan.
    Last edited by Cyke; 12-17-2016 at 01:13 AM.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Wow a separate thread??, well anyways. This REALLY wiped the bad taste of Force Awakens out of my mouth. And Darth Vader's last scene was intense as hell. I'm baffled by people who liked Force Awakens over this film.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    I have been waiting for a space battle like this of this scale with Capital Ships duking it out ever since I watched the original trilogy and fell in love with them particularly the space section of Return of the Jedi. It took 26 years but Rogue One finally FINALLY delivered on it.
    This. This. This. Also I thought Tarkin was ALMOST perfect. There was something still slightly off putting lol. I also loved the intensity of the whole movie something that I felt was missing since episode 5. Revenge of the Sith had some intensity, but mostly this tone was relegated to the cartoons (ironically), Comics, games and most of the EU.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    See, I thought Ep7 was supremely mediocre personally.

Thats why I am curious about RO because it seemed... different
    Ep7 WAS mediocre, and this IS different...very different

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    This. This. This. Also I thought Tarkin was ALMOST perfect. There was something still slightly off putting lol. I also loved the intensity of the whole movie something that I felt was missing since episode 5. Revenge of the Sith had some intensity, but mostly this tone was relegated to the cartoons (ironically), Comics, games and most of the EU.
    I've heard varied comments about Tarkin. I think perhaps those of us who know what is going on believe we see flaws, but the real test is for younger viewers who don't realize that what they are seeing is CGI.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Episode 7 was trying to convince everyone that it wasn't the Prequel Era and that the classic feeling Star Wars was back. Episode 7 played it safe making things mirror ANH. The familiarity was on purpose.

Rogue One didn't have to shoulder that burden.

Extraordinary Member

it was.... alright.
    None of the cast really stood out and made me care for them.
    Nice use of Tarkin.

trim out 20 mins

3rd act was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    Uncanny valley indeed! I thought that Tarkin and Leia were cool surprises, although they seemed more facially graphic and detailed than the real actors they were interacting with.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Wow a separate thread??, well anyways. This REALLY wiped the bad taste of Force Awakens out of my mouth. And Darth Vader's last scene was intense as hell. I'm baffled by people who liked Force Awakens over this film.
    I liked both and feel like a weirdo because I do.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

So apparently there are three Rebels Easter eggs in the movie, one Chopper actually has a cameo on Yavin 4(though its a blink and you'll miss it), also on Yavin 4 you hear a call for a General Syndulla(aka Hera) over the PA system, and during the space battle itself of course you see the Ghost on several occasions. Honestly it'll take a bunch of viewings to catch all the Easter eggs in this movie.

Edit: And I also like both movies, they're two different movies telling different kinds of stories and really don't get people trying to use comparisons between the two as pro or con arguments
    Edit: Let me point out I'm not saying that if you liked one but not the other you're somehow wrong just that the critics complaining that one isn't like the other are.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 12-17-2016 at 11:45 AM.

Really enjoyed this movie, Star Wars from basically the grunts perspective. Heroic and heartbreaking at the same time. The last half hour of the movie was fantastic.

The very ending was both incredibly intense and yet hopeful, I feel it really adds something to the first movie (IV) to know how much sacrifice went into setting the plot on motion.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!