Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

I think having it leads directly into the opening of a New Hope really strengthens it too because the audience knows that yes their sacrifices were worth something.

One other thing I liked is this retroactively clears the Empire of direct incompetence, the weakness in the Death Star was a feature not a flaw.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Extraordinary Member

Just got back from seeing it.

Wow. First 30 minutes were kind of slow and dull, but the remaining 90 are the best the franchise has seen since Empire.

I knew the main cast would be morally grey, but I was surprised to see the rebellion as a whole be so morally grey, especially after the 'Greedo/Han shoots first' fiasco.

The Death Star is so much more threatening in Rogue 1 than it is in the original trilogy, as is Vader and the Empire as a whole.

Great action scenes.

Was expecting more of a Magnificent 7/Seven Samurai ending where most of the crew dies but a core group makes it out, especially since the opening crawl of A New Hope called the battle at the end of Rogue 1 a victory. Only the fact that they got the plans out at all makes it a victory. The actual battle was won by the Empire. I was really surprised they were willing to kill the whole cast like that.

I've seen complaints about the characters, and while they don't hold a candle to Han Solo, I don't have any problems with them.

In the end, I liked this better than Force Awakens. That had a great first half and petered out in the second half. This had a weak start but just got better and better as it went along.

If only the prequels had been this good.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Mighty Member

That Darth Vader massacre scene felt like a horror movie. Awsome!!!!!!
    Last edited by tabo61; 12-21-2016 at 07:31 PM.

Incredible Member

I liked a lot of it. Do I think it's quality film making? No. It isn't the worst, but there are some major flaws throughout. Especially in character development, which I knew would be a factor given the director.

A lot of it does work though. Even the fan service, with only the 3PO cameo being the biggest major WTF of the bunch. Even seeing the criminal dudes from the bar in ANH was cool. Tarkin looked great, I thought. I was fearing it was going to be Jeff Bridges Tron Legacy bad, but a lot of those scenes with him looked really good. Some times you could tell, but at a distance it looked like Peter Cushing was back from the dead. It was cool that Peter Cushing actually had a supporting role. Leia on the other hand was a bit more noticeable. Also liked seeing Red and Gold leader again. That stock footage came in handy decades later.

Vader was awesome in his two scenes. Though the first scene was really unnecessary which pretty much amounted to Krennic waking Vader up just so Vader could tell him to **** off. Loved his Castle. Loved the idea of how he rest in the tank. Just wish they had made the scene longer and let it breath, which was another flaw in the film(and one a lot of film makers make now) in that you need to let scenes and shots have the right amount of time. Some great Death Star shots only to cut away and lose the most impact visually.

First half of the film was sloppy, and the jumping around from planet to planet at the beginning was annoying, confusing, and took me out of the film almost right away.

TFA was better IMO, by far, but R1 was definitely better than the prequels. It itself is the best prequel. The film doesn't embarrass or take away from ANH, and in fact enhances quite a bit. So much so that you want to go home right away and watch it.
    Last edited by The Nuke; 12-17-2016 at 05:33 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    That Dart Vader massacre scene felt like a horror movie. Awsome!!!!!!
    I was hoping he would be leading the assault on the Rouge 1 crew (with the all clone 501st legion) but yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post
    I was hoping he would be leading the assault on the Rouge 1 crew (with the all clone 501st legion) but yes!
    That would have been perfect
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf1984 View Post
    Episode 7 was trying to convince everyone that it wasn't the Prequel Era and that the classic feeling Star Wars was back. Episode 7 played it safe making things mirror ANH. The familiarity was on purpose.

Rogue One didn't have to shoulder that burden.
    That's a fair point

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Really enjoyed this movie, Star Wars from basically the grunts perspective. Heroic and heartbreaking at the same time. The last half hour of the movie was fantastic.

The very ending was both incredibly intense and yet hopeful, I feel it really adds something to the first movie (IV) to know how much sacrifice went into setting the plot on motion.
    Slightly off topic but this is something I want to see in Halo. Or any franchise that's built around a invincible hero savior.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    Slightly off topic but this is something I want to see in Halo. Or any franchise that's built around a invincible hero savior.
    Supposedly the grunts in Halo have a tragic backstory in the books, but I never read them. Or do you mean from the marine's perspective? Because I think that was ODST.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    This. This. This. Also I thought Tarkin was ALMOST perfect. There was something still slightly off putting lol. I also loved the intensity of the whole movie something that I felt was missing since episode 5. Revenge of the Sith had some intensity, but mostly this tone was relegated to the cartoons (ironically), Comics, games and most of the EU.
    Tarkin WAS perfect until he got that close up - at which point the Uncanny Valley came back into the picture. If they had left him without that I truly believe very few people without foreknowledge would have been able to tell he was CGI.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    Supposedly the grunts in Halo have a tragic backstory in the books, but I never read them. Or do you mean from the marine's perspective? Because I think that was ODST.
    Everyone that isn't a spartan basically...Halo need more down to earth military stories like ODST.

Extraordinary Member

The Vader scene, and his his anger at the start of New Hope, take on a new significance when you think about the battle when he arrives. Two Star Destroyers crippled, THOUSANDS o f loyal Empire personnel dead - yeah, he is royally pissed and not above taking it out on the terrorists who just perpetrated mass murder [his perspective].

Also his talk with Krennik about the Death Star's unique ability to cause problems helps put his perspective on the battle station into focus. Vader is a guy who distrusts the ability of THINGS to get the job done. His words at the meeting with Tarkin and Motti aboard the Death Star now have a new and significance.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    The Vader scene, and his his anger at the start of New Hope, take on a new significance when you think about the battle when he arrives. Two Star Destroyers crippled, THOUSANDS o f loyal Empire personnel dead - yeah, he is royally pissed and not above taking it out on the terrorists who just perpetrated mass murder [his perspective].

Also his talk with Krennik about the Death Star's unique ability to cause problems helps put his perspective on the battle station into focus. Vader is a guy who distrusts the ability of THINGS to get the job done. His words at the meeting with Tarkin and Motti aboard the Death Star now have a new and significance.
    It's kind of ironic that Anakin/Vader has always had a knack and enthusiasm for technology, but at the same time, Vader seems to realize its limitations and is conscientious about not being overly reliant on it.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014