Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

This movie is very much a mixed bag. There's so much great stuff in it that any Star Wars fan will definitely get their money's worth, but as a film...well, it fails to follow through on a lot of the really interesting ideas it is juggling with. The seams from the reshoots are definitely there. The main villain is pretty much a bust--a smarmy middle management type that isn't really compelling in any way. The CGI Tarkin doesn't work at all and really pulled me out of the movie any time he appeared. The two Vader scenes are worth the price of admission alone, although I am not a fan of Vader's sense of humor ever including puns. That said, the final throwdown is amazing.

So, a great movie? Not really, but definitely worth seeing on the big screen.

Extraordinary Member

It's not Phantom Menace bad it defiantly in the middle of road.

But I like the fact that this was a one off

Extraordinary Member

Have to say I disagree about Krennik. When did we EVER see an Imperial Officer who put himself in harms way deliberately? Or for that matter even fired a blaster? Krennik, on the other hand, shows himself to be hands on leader. He travels himself to find Erso at the start of the movie and takes personal action in tracking down the source of the leak.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

I loved it. It wasn't quite Force Awakens awesome, but to be fair that had the advantage of following the prequels thus making what was already an incredible film seem like sheer perfection by comparison. Course, that means that Rogue One had a much higher bar to reach... and it came very bloody close.

Sure, it was a little predictable in so much as the backstory already established way back in Episode 4 essentially spoiled how this was all going to play out. So the 'dark' ending wasn't so much a surprise as an expectation. However, the story that got us to that point was still a very good one and realised well. Truth be told, I had pretty low expectations of this film when movie when Gareth Edwards was attached. Whatever people may think of the Godzilla parts of Godzilla, I don't think many people would consider the human stuff to be of much worth. Beyond Cranston, it was bland characters spouting bland dialogue... blandly.

Fortunately, Edwards seems to have a better take on the characters here. Yes, they're a little under-developed and Jyn's turn from disinterested cynic to flag-waving believer in the cause is a little too instant, even taking into account her Father's message - But for the most part, the characters do all become people you care about, which is kind of important when making their ultimate fate have some kind of impact.

The cast are all great, with Tudyk the standout (as he usually is). And Donnie Yen taking out a squadron of Storm-Troopers was a slice of fried gold, even if it did further the concept of Storm-Trooper armour being less effective than an ashtray on a motorbike.

Ranking-wise, Rogue fits into second place on me list now, just after Force Awakens. Followed by the original trilogy, in order, 3) Hope 4) Empire and 5) Jedi. And that's the whole list. Because the prequels don't count.
    Last edited by Vworp Vworp; 12-18-2016 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I liked both and feel like a weirdo because I do.
    Nah. Liking great movies is perfectly normal.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    The Vader scene, and his his anger at the start of New Hope, take on a new significance when you think about the battle when he arrives. Two Star Destroyers crippled, THOUSANDS o f loyal Empire personnel dead - yeah, he is royally pissed and not above taking it out on the terrorists who just perpetrated mass murder [his perspective].

Also his talk with Krennik about the Death Star's unique ability to cause problems helps put his perspective on the battle station into focus. Vader is a guy who distrusts the ability of THINGS to get the job done. His words at the meeting with Tarkin and Motti aboard the Death Star now have a new and significance.

Nah, if Vader cared about imperial personnel he would have killed Tarkin for blowing up an Empire planet where there were plenty of Empire personnel but only 2 rebels left there.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Nah, if Vader cared about imperial personnel he would have killed Tarkin for blowing up an Empire planet where there were plenty of Empire personnel but only 2 rebels left there.
    There were more than that left (a few unnamed squads had landed besides the Rogue One crew), but the general idea is pretty much the same. They were contained, outnumbered and surrounded, but the job they went to do was completed.

Tarkin was never the type to care about lives - In the now defunct EU when he was given direct orders not to open fire on a crowd of protesters he just landed his ship on top of them. And of course, in A New Hope he destroyed Alderaan simply because the rebel base was too remote to provide effective terror if it was destroyed.

I don't think Vader was raging because of the life lost, he was raging because by escaping with the plans, it means the rebels had beaten him. And then when he catches up to them, they tell him it's a consular ship and received no transmissions, despite him having seen that very ship escape from the battle. It's like the crew was deliberately trying to enrage him - and maybe they were. Enraged people don't think clearly and miss things they otherwise would not.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 12-18-2016 at 08:15 AM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Saw it last night. Still processing it, but I know I definitely loved it more than Episode 7 (which I still really liked, but was way too safe). Of course, both leave the awful prequels in the dust.

The first act jumped around a bit too much and I had trouble following it, but the last 2/3 were fantastic. Killing all the main characters took pretty serious balls and I respect the hell out of it. That's not something you see in a movie geared towards as wide an audience as possible. And my God, that Vader scene was terrifying.

CGI Tarkin and Leia were a bit unsettling though.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Saw it last night. Still processing it, but I know I definitely loved it more than Episode 7 (which I still really liked, but was way too safe). Of course, both leave the awful prequels in the dust.

The first act jumped around a bit too much and I had trouble following it, but the last 2/3 were fantastic. Killing all the main characters took pretty serious balls and I respect the hell out of it. That's not something you see in a movie geared towards as wide an audience as possible. And my God, that Vader scene was terrifying.

CGI Tarkin and Leia were a bit unsettling though.
    I was fully expecting them to die, and I think most people were. I'm glad Disney didn't chicken out and let them live it would lessen the emotional impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post
    It's not Phantom Menace bad it defiantly in the middle of road.

But I like the fact that this was a one off
    I appreciate that its a one off, maybe they can do more Vader-era movies set between the prequels and the originals.

This was such a great movie. I watched it yesterday and I am very much looking forward to watching it again real soon. K-2SO was my favourite character form this movie, even though I really, really loved Jyn Erso's character and I am in love with Felicity Jones.

The third act is absolutely spectacular. It is very cliched to say it, but Rogue One definitely emphasized the war in Star Wars. From the dog fight happening in space to the battle on the beautiful beach front...it was all done so well.

Loved it.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    Wow, what a step back this thing was from Episode 7. I thought it was mediocre at best. The story was nothing special, but I kind of figured that would be the case going in. I really didn't care about any of the new characters, like at all. I also thought Princess Leia at the end felt forced, I mean why did they bring her with them to a battle? Some help they're going to be.

Oh and that planet with the shield around it, all I could think of is Space Balls' giant vacuum cleaner scene.

4.5/10

Definitely My 2nd least favorite Star Wars movie.
    I guess we're in the minority here. I took my son with me last night to watch it. He thought it was good, but not great. I thought the first half of the movie was boring. It picked up in the second half and the last 30-40 minutes were great. Otherwise, it was just average. And I'm a big SW fans. I would give it 5/10
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    I was fully expecting them to die, and I think most people were. I'm glad Disney didn't chicken out and let them live it would lessen the emotional impact.
    I was expecting one or two survivors, probably from the support team (and likely captured to boot). Zero was a surprise.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Folks have to remember that from Vader's perspective, he is the good guy. Shadows of the Empire, a book Lucas himself praised highly, gives a lot of insight into his character.

Yes, Vader can be merciless with his subordinates, but only as a means of weeding out incompetence which often costs lives. Remember his ultimate goal, however twisted his means, is to restore peace and order to the Galaxy. In his mind destroying Alderran is not an act of cruelty but necessity - the lives snuffed out are justified if it stems further rebellion, and really it's all the fault of the Rebels for causing this war in the first place.

Palpatine - sure, he is evil personified. But Vader is a more nuanced character.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I was expecting one or two survivors, probably from the support team (and likely captured to boot). Zero was a surprise.
    Ageed. I knew the odds were against them ,but this is new territory for Star Wars. Even in the last moment I was hoping Jynn and Antos might make it. But that is the power of the film, that you know that death is a real possibility for ALL the characters.

I also, I must say, found the choice to have Leiasmile in the very last second off putting. Yes you have hope but some acknowledgement of the gravity of what just happened seemed appropriate. To me the smile made her look rather callous.