Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

They hated it
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    In what way was this rewriting? Elaborate?

The rebellion hasnt generally been seen as forcing people to do thing they didnt want to do. That whole group behind Andor that forms up with thieves, assassins, etc, coming forward cause they didnt want to have done all of that for nothing... that was crazy.

When you join the rebellion you do what you are best at. The bothan spies were spies cause they were good at spying.

Another goofy thing about the movie was the ion torpedoes to disable the Star Destroyer, why werent they use to disable the shield station? That was mega weird.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    The rebellion hasnt generally been seen as forcing people to do thing they didnt want to do. That whole group behind Andor that forms up with thieves, assassins, etc, coming forward cause they didnt want to have done all of that for nothing... that was crazy.

When you join the rebellion you do what you are best at. The bothan spies were spies cause they were good at spying.

Another goofy thing about the movie was the ion torpedoes to disable the Star Destroyer, why werent they use to disable the shield station? That was mega weird.
    That's what I said to my son. They could take down a Destroyer with those, but not the shield station?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Spectacular Member

Zero character development, magnified by the sheer number of characters introduced.

CGI Tarkin was a misstep. Limiting his appearance to the window reflection? Fine. Giving him nearly as much screen time as Ben Mendelsohn was just distracting and unnecessary.

Saw Gerrera was ultimately inconsequential. He shows up briefly to rescue a young Jyn and is later revealed to be an eccentric, tortured soul who just gives up and dies as the Death Star obliterates the city. I wonder if most of his story arc was left on the cutting room floor.

There was a lot of missed potential with the infiltration of the Scarif base. They could have made things more fun and interesting instead of devoting half the time to discussions about a master switch.

Extraordinary Member

Saw it with my son yesterday, who had no idea Tarkin's face was CGI (there is an actor under it). So just goes to show knowing he is cgi makes a difference to how you perceive him on screen.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by pdiz View Post
    Dislikes:
    The character's deaths were not separated enough. I can't be sad if they all just suddenly die
    I don't find that to be the case when I watched "Saving Private Ryan", and the the same was true here.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Oh by the way the scene at the end THAT is how you portray Darth Vader, as a force of nature on the battle field, that was the most intimidating he's been since Empire.
    The director said 8 minutes of Vader was cut from the film, 7 from the end, 1 from a hologram transmission saying he was coming to kick ass. I can see why the holo was cut because Vader blasting out of hyperspace and ramming the fleet was amazing with not much setup. I think the holo would've dampened the BAMFness of those scenes. The rest was Vader mowing more troopers down corridor by corridor, getting closer and closer and outsmarting the Rebels. Kinda sad to see that go but I could see where that might get repetitive.

Also, Vader's Castle is cannon! Woop woop!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Vader castle was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Ageed. I knew the odds were against them ,but this is new territory for Star Wars. Even in the last moment I was hoping Jynn and Antos might make it. But that is the power of the film, that you know that death is a real possibility for ALL the characters.

I also, I must say, found the choice to have Leiasmile in the very last second off putting. Yes you have hope but some acknowledgement of the gravity of what just happened seemed appropriate. To me the smile made her look rather callous.
    1. Jones has a sequel clause. A prequel about how she got into prison? Training under Saul? Did I miss an after-credits stinger?

2. To be fair to Leia, that fits her personality. Also, it took nearly 40 years before we got some real stories about her dealing with the aftermath of Alderaan. And prior to that, I would say she has the ice-cold blood of her father. She's a bit of an ice queen. Luke is the dreamer, Leia is the pragmatic one. Personally, if they ever turned a Skywalker to the Dark Side, Leia would be the one that makes more sense. Perhaps that's why she never trains much in the ways of the Force in the new continuity.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 12-19-2016 at 03:30 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sneakyflute View Post
    Zero character development, magnified by the sheer number of characters introduced.

CGI Tarkin was a misstep. Limiting his appearance to the window reflection? Fine. Giving him nearly as much screen time as Ben Mendelsohn was just distracting and unnecessary.

Saw Gerrera was ultimately inconsequential. He shows up briefly to rescue a young Jyn and is later revealed to be an eccentric, tortured soul who just gives up and dies as the Death Star obliterates the city. I wonder if most of his story arc was left on the cutting room floor.

There was a lot of missed potential with the infiltration of the Scarif base. They could have made things more fun and interesting instead of devoting half the time to discussions about a master switch.
    I don't agree there was no character development. Cassian and especially Jyn have clear arcs in the film, though I would agree that the side characters were one note. Well done, bit one note. But compare to Ep 4, where only Luke and Han have arcs, and it's a pretty standard Star Wars.

I also didn't feel that Saw was inconsequential. His death was thematic. He represents the old soldiers, heroes of the Clone Wars (like Kenobi as well). They had their chance, fought their fight. And they lost, the Empire beat them all. This was a passing the torch. A coming out. When the rebellion became what it needed to be to free the galaxy. Under the younger generation of Jyn and Luke.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post

They showed the X-Wings taking out the Shield Generators on the Star Destroyer before they even thought of firing the ion torpedoes. If they would have fired at the Destroyer with shields it would have had no effects just like it would not have effected the shielded Shield station.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Nah, if Vader cared about imperial personnel he would have killed Tarkin for blowing up an Empire planet where there were plenty of Empire personnel but only 2 rebels left there.
    IMHO the reason tarkin used the deathstar was to get rid of kerrin.
    Uh huh, he was ok with killing off a lot of loyal troops for no reason. Evil and stupid, that was.
    vader kills officals whose incomptence or arrogance surpassed his low levels for tolerance.

saw the movie and I liked it. the guns of navarrone in space it in my eyes a fitting description for the movie.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordLeviathan View Post
    IMHO the reason tarkin used the deathstar was to get rid of kerrin.

vader kills officals whose incomptence or arrogance surpassed his low levels for tolerance.

saw the movie and I liked it. the guns of navarrone in space it in my eyes a fitting description for the movie.
    He doesn't wipe out entire units of Storm Troopers. If he killed every one of those who were deemed incompetent then the Empire would have no freaking army.

He doesn't wipe out entire units of Storm Troopers. If he killed every one of those who were deemed incompetent then the Empire would have no freaking army.
    Stormtroopers are mooks and are subject to the basic rule of elite mooks - badass against anyone who isn't a main character. Once those show up it's like the Law of Conservation of Ninjutsu, they suddenly become losers.

Officers with lines in the film have to perform well or get choked to death.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Ultimate Member

I greatly enjoyed the movie, but it without a doubt it benefited from being part of the greater Star Wars verse.

I mean, a bunch of resistance guys run into a blind monk and shooter guy, they team up, and their plan for getting the plans for the Death Star are...ad hoc, at best.