Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Stormtroopers are mooks and are subject to the basic rule of elite mooks - badass against anyone who isn't a main character. Once those show up it's like the Law of Conservation of Ninjutsu, they suddenly become losers.

Officers with lines in the film have to perform well or get choked to death.
    Yeah ok but it does not matter. This all started when someone claimed Vader was furious in ANH that lots of Imperials died. Then I pointed out that no he was not because he did nothing to Tarkin. Who blew up that planet which had lots left. He may have killed more than the rebels did. The poster I responded to didn't really address my point so I don't know why he even quoted me.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

This movie was GLORIOUS!

Loved everything about it.

That space battle was easily the best ever. Vader was a MONSTER in that final scene. I liked pretty much ALL of the characters and it was sad to see them fall.

Yeah, there was a plot hole or two. I don't care. The good outweighs the bad by so much, it's not even worth getting into. This was Star Wars at it's finest, and I very much hope to catch it a couple more times in theaters.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Unbelievably Awesome, are the words that come to mind about this movie.

I was initially on the fence about this movie, especially considering Disney was gonna start spamming Star Wars movies but if they're all like Rogue One, then I'm sold. This movie actually felt like a Star Wars movie. Seriously. It felt like a return to form. The space battles. The tension of not knowing what was going to happen and when someone died you actually freakin felt it.

I wished that we could see more of Jyn and crew but alas I kinda had a feeling it was going to end the way it did.

Vader was on pure beast mode which is how he should be, LOL! That ending scene with Leia had me and everyone else in the theater cheering. and I didnt' really mind the CGI. Also GRAND MOFF TARKIN Back in action.

I'm glad I took a chance on this movie, and I really hope the directors of the actually star wars Episodes are taking notes for the future. This is how Star Wars should be, so take everything in the very well done Rogue One and add Jedi and Sith and I have no doubt the same magic that was captured in 77 can be caught again. LOL

BANNED

So we got IP Man but instead of getting Vader v IP Man. I got Vader v Red Shirts. I mean sure he looked cool but murking scrubs is hardly that grand.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    So we got IP Man but instead of getting Vader v IP Man. I got Vader v Red Shirts. I mean sure he looked cool but murking scrubs is hardly that grand.
    Yeah they should of had him land with the 501 legion (they are still Clones of Jango Fett) and lay waste to Rouge 1 crew But called back when they sent the signal to a ship. cut to Empire Traping the capital ship and Vader's onslaught begins

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    1. Jones has a sequel clause. A prequel about how she got into prison? Training under Saul? Did I miss an after-credits stinger?

2. To be fair to Leia, that fits her personality. Also, it took nearly 40 years before we got some real stories about her dealing with the aftermath of Alderaan. And prior to that, I would say she has the ice-cold blood of her father. She's a bit of an ice queen. Luke is the dreamer, Leia is the pragmatic one. Personally, if they ever turned a Skywalker to the Dark Side, Leia would be the one that makes more sense. Perhaps that's why she never trains much in the ways of the Force in the new continuity.
    Having seen the movie the second time her smile at the end was not as jarring. It had a determination to it I did not pick up on the first time.

No stinger after the credits. We may see her turn up in Episode 8 in some capacity, perhaps via a hologram or a flashback [maybe even through the Force, as Rey did in TFA]. But a clause is just a clause, not a promise.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Rogue One has a sequel. It's called A New Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Rogue One has a sequel. It's called A New Hope.
    Good one. I will chime in, I LOVED this movie. Great that now it feels like ANH starts like 20-30 mins later, something like that.

After reading all the comments here, some things have changed for me. At first I was disappointed that we didn't really get much background motivations for any of the ancillary characters, other than "the Empire is evil, therefore I must fight them" but in the end, we don't really NEED that. It would just slow the movie down. How many war movies are like this, a bunch of characters thrown together and they do XYZ and that's the movie? After thinking it over, I'm okay with it. Although I DO say that Jynn's character development felt extremely rushed. One minute she's a punk kid who's ticked off at the world, and then suddenly SHE is the one giving the motivational speech to soldiers who've been fighting this rebellion for YEARS vs. her handful of days? Granted, hearing Andor's story and others might have made her have a change of heart, but again, it felt rushed and/or forced. Of COURSE she has to make the speech because she's the main character, but it still fell flat on me.

But otherwise? Amazing IMO. Star Destroyer crashing into ANOTHER Star Destroyer crashing into shield gate FOR THE WIN!!

And not to be totally stupid, but the "Captain Antilles" that is referred to that owns R2-D2 and 3PO, in ANH, that's Wedge's dad, yeah? Or is it a coincidence? I loved the red and gold leaders here, it kinda makes more sense now that their fleet of X-Wings was so small in ANH, as they lost quite a few at the battle of Scarif not too long before. And the Vader fight, to me the best part was watching the troops run through the capital ship and suddenly the Tantive IV being there and taking off. I'll admit I'm dumb and did NOT see that coming at that point! Awesome.

Some folks' complaints about Tarkin's CGI, personally I had no problem with it. The only CGI issues I had was K2's walking a few times felt odd, like they needed to spend more time on the CGI, but not a deal breaker for me. And the music was okay, nothing great, but hit the proper moments.

I guess for me, even as a kid playing with the figures, I always liked the non-Jedi characters better. Kinda like G.I.Joe - take away Snake Eyes and all the ninja stuff and leave me with everyone else. So this movie was great - just regular folks fighting the good fight. And I'm glad they left that "I rebel" line on the cutting room floor, that was awful.

I'm gonna see it again FRI with my son, can't wait to try and see the Ghost, Chopper, and hear Hera's name - exciting!
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Yeah ok but it does not matter. This all started when someone claimed Vader was furious in ANH that lots of Imperials died. Then I pointed out that no he was not because he did nothing to Tarkin. Who blew up that planet which had lots left. He may have killed more than the rebels did. The poster I responded to didn't really address my point so I don't know why he even quoted me.
    It does show how the pecking order of the Empire works.

The station commander finally got the Death Star working only to have his accomplishment undercut by Tarkin. When he tried to complain to Vader about it he nearly gets force choked for it.

Ship Captains and Fleet Commanders pay the ultimate price for their troops failures. And even if you succeed, a higher up might take all the credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    They showed the X-Wings taking out the Shield Generators on the Star Destroyer before they even thought of firing the ion torpedoes. If they would have fired at the Destroyer with shields it would have had no effects just like it would not have effected the shielded Shield station.
    If the shield station was covered with shields then do the same thing...

They showed the X-wings fly through the station and taking down turrets. There's no excuse, here.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post

They showed the X-wings fly through the station and taking down turrets. There's no excuse, here.
    Maybe they were just out of torpedoes. The Rebel fleet commits to the fight before they know they need the shield open to get the plans out. We see them targeting turrets and the two Star Destroyers. The threats. But we only see them use ion torpedoes to disable one of the destroyers. Perhaps the three torps we saw were all they had.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post

And not to be totally stupid, but the "Captain Antilles" that is referred to that owns R2-D2 and 3PO, in ANH, that's Wedge's dad, yeah? Or is it a coincidence? I loved the red and gold leaders here, it kinda makes more sense now that their fleet of X-Wings was so small in ANH, as they lost quite a few at the battle of Scarif not too long before. And the Vader fight, to me the best part was watching the troops run through the capital ship and suddenly the Tantive IV being there and taking off. I'll admit I'm dumb and did NOT see that coming at that point! Awesome.

Some folks' complaints about Tarkin's CGI, personally I had no problem with it. The only CGI issues I had was K2's walking a few times felt odd, like they needed to spend more time on the CGI, but not a deal breaker for me. And the music was okay, nothing great, but hit the proper moments.
    !
    In the old EU it was just a coincidence. Wedge's parents died fighting a fuel line fire in a space station (they saved the station though) caused by a pirate leaving while still attached to the fuel lines. It's as if Antilles was the Corellian version of Smith.

Now, who knows? Much from the new films draws from EU stuff but they don't want to be locked into it as a whole.

I've said it earlier, but the CGI was only an issue for me during closeups. It isn't good enough yet to so those without being obvious.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think they will give us the back story of some of these characters like Jen in novels now that the movie is out. I can see them doing a Saul movie showing him raising Jen and his falling out with the rebellion.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Hello again.

Tarkin blew up the base to stop the rebels getting the information. Also to kill his rival, but that was just cake. Ergo, in Vader's mind, the blame for the destruction of the base falls to the Rebels, not Tarkin.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post

Disabling the shield gate with ion torpedoes would have no effect, because the gate doesn't generate the shield. That is done on the planet. Blowing the gate causes a brief fluctuation in the shield through which the transmission can pass