Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Thought it was maybe you, but I wasn't sure so I didn't want to attach your name to it. Seriously, are they going to retcon not just the New 52, but the entire last 20 years of Superman comics as not really starring Superman - or at least, not all of him? That's a degree of boldness (along with stupidity, but that's par for the course) I would genuinely respect on their part. At least whatever the case, this cover sets the two of them up as equals. And that'd explain the reason they brought back the concept for Superwoman, to reacquaint readers; the solicit for Superwoman #8 made clear this'll have immediate reverberations there too.
    Thematically it makes sense for a lot of reasons.

2017 is the 20th anniversary of the Electro Superman saga. I think March 1997 was the month Supes went electric. This is March 2017 solcits.

The Superman Red/Blue saga is sited as the moment the Post Crisis Superman jumped the shark. About a year after this story wrapped we saw the long time creative team that had been in place for most of the 90s off the books and the start of the long decade of shaky ground for the character.

If the Supermen were incomplete all along , that explains in story Pre FLASHPOINT Superman lacking huzpah and Nuperman being a jerk at times. (We know the real cause was just poor writing but it would be cool in a way to explain Superman walking America and Nuperman serving up Lois as a meal to Parasite. They weren't exactly themselves.)

It validates BOTH characters and ALL the events of the last 20 years up through the entire New 52. Superdad is Superman . Nuperman is Superman. They are both Superman and their adventures all mattered and counted. All the conflicting origin stories and retcons? It's all because the universe is trying accommodate the incomplete Superman.

It resolves the whole mystery of the nature of both Supermen and fully integrates Superdad back into the fabric of the current earth while not completely resolving EVERYTHING. I still think we have some other developments and twists coming between ACTION #975 and 1000. We will likely now get like,50 issues worth of comics between Superman and ACTION with both Supermen around co existing. I anticipate that ACTION #1000 will not only end this whole mega arc with one complete Superman...in time for the end of this REBIRTH mega story across the DCU,but celebrating Superman's 80th birthday.

Of course it's all speculation at this point...but so far that's served me well! Lol
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by GodofBoredom View Post
    Holy ****, if New 52 Superman isn't swept aside and they somehow become one, I'm back to reading all of the Superman line.

I hope they somehow explains the two Lois adequately, too.
    The one sticking point in this whole red/ blue theory is Lois. I STILL can't account for two Lois's. Is one a construct? Is she the Lois of another Earth?
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?

tragedy for the Kents eh? *sigh* which pet is gonna bite it this time lol??

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    The one sticking point in this whole red/ blue theory is Lois. I STILL can't account for two Lois's. Is one a construct? Is she the Lois of another Earth?
    Maybe New 52 Lois was the fake one all along and she was created to go along with Nuperman?

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    Color me genuinely intrigued. It seems things will finally come to a head in these issues. By seeing the cover for AC #975, I thought of something really crazy: the Superman that returned WAY BACK in 1993 IS NOT THE SAME AS THE ONE WHO DIED AT THE CLAWS OF DOOMSDAY (and that would mean that Manhattan and Oz have been messing with the whole thing for quite a while).

Also, congrats, manofsteel. Your theory regarding Superman Blue and Red, apparently (and much to my chagrin) is correct.

I'm glad too, DragonPiece. But then that joy turns into uncertainty given what it could ultimately mean for New52 Superman.

At any rate, I will be getting these issues.
    I don't think DC would risk saying the Death and Return story wasn't what it was reputed to be. I still think it's more likely any monkey business revolves around the resolution of Superman Red/ Blue and Superman Forever. I think the Superman that came back was Blue who erroneously thought he was whole because he regained his corporeal form and original powers. Blue goes on to live the life of Superman through FLASHPOINT...then he goes missing and is swapped out by red who believes he's the only Superman and lives the life of the New 52 Superman. They are both the real Superman...just split and grown apart.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    tragedy for the Kents eh? *sigh* which pet is gonna bite it this time lol??
    Maybe it's....Jon?

Doesn't mean he can't return by story's end though. His dad is known to come back from the dead,you know.

Quite intriguing! Particularly that cover with both Supermen. I'm certainly seeing a lot of merit to manofsteel1979's Red/Blue theory! Plus Superman Red/ Superman Blue is a classic Silver Age tale. If that turns out to be the case and there is a merger, it would be a pretty clever nod to longtime fans. It would also explain those blue boots...

In any event, I'm glad they are giving us some resolution to all this sooner rather than later. I wouldn't want to wait around for a few years wondering what's going on or how Superman will be long term. Seeing as Lois wasn't mentioned in the solicits, could she be the tragic death at the start of the arc? I'm kind of wondering if we'll get a nod to Morrison's 1 Million, with Superman bringing Lois back. We have NuLois, who was exposed to Superman's energy and MaLois from outside time. If they both end up dead, they still have a kind of connection through the energy of Superman. Could we get a solution to the two Lois problem that ends up being a similar merger to Superman and a nod to Morrison?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'm so good with the way things are, but I know that a lot of people wanted a return to New Superman. Oh well. Maybe I'll enjoy this, if I don't simply lose what had brought me back after being totally put off last year.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

So merger? People worried over timeline issues and the "these aren't his friends" issues can cool their jets and drink the coolaid like the rest of us? Nice. Jon's been lookin' pretty Gohan-like for a while now, so literal fusion doesn't even faze me now.

I honestly didn't know or care how DC would get us to "Clark and Lois KENT have a son named Jon and they're from this world" but here it is. I just wanna do it so we can get back to business as usual with the great Superman stuff we've had so far.

I mean cause, that's basically what's gonna go down, right? This is all a glorified way of just cutting and pasting Mr. El in as THE Superman. Now that scene with Mr. El remembering rainbow Batman (and Bruce not) has a bookend to it.

Superman is still going to be Mr. El. He's going to have Mr. El personality, wife, and son (that kids here to stay). The big thing is that the Els can now have the name Kent back without it being creepy. Oh and now Kara and Clark can go back to Pre-52 closeness, and she can hang with Jon. Also this means Kenan's powers now basically come from Mr. El.

Now DC.....about the origin you'll be using. I vote an "ultimate" that's relatively vague. The 4 part bedtime story for Jon arc is lookin REEEEEEEAAAL good right about now, DC. Just sayin', man. It's here. Take it if you want it, DC. I just request that Tomasi and Gleason write it (which is likely anyway).

But after this glorified reestablishing of the Kent identity is over, can we just move on? I've been having a really great time moving forward in the Superman book, so I wanna KEEP doing that.

Definitely seems like the runs for both Action and Superman are coming to a head here, as well as the mystery of the Supermen, so hopefully that all resolves satisfactorily.

The two Supermen evoking Superman Red/Blue is certainly interesting, especially since a lot of people were predicting something to that effect regarding the connection or role of Nuperman and Superdad.

I doubt we'll be seeing two Superman's going forward, but this will probably resolve exactly how the two are related and Superman's overall role in the Rebirth storyline.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Maybe it's....Jon?

Doesn't mean he can't return by story's end though. His dad is known to come back from the dead,you know.
    I think it's a cosmic level kidnapping situation.

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    Quite intriguing! Particularly that cover with both Supermen. I'm certainly seeing a lot of merit to manofsteel1979's Red/Blue theory! Plus Superman Red/ Superman Blue is a classic Silver Age tale. If that turns out to be the case and there is a merger, it would be a pretty clever nod to longtime fans. It would also explain those blue boots...

In any event, I'm glad they are giving us some resolution to all this sooner rather than later. I wouldn't want to wait around for a few years wondering what's going on or how Superman will be long term. Seeing as Lois wasn't mentioned in the solicits, could she be the tragic death at the start of the arc? I'm kind of wondering if we'll get a nod to Morrison's 1 Million, with Superman bringing Lois back. We have NuLois, who was exposed to Superman's energy and MaLois from outside time. If they both end up dead, they still have a kind of connection through the energy of Superman. Could we get a solution to the two Lois problem that ends up being a similar merger to Superman and a nod to Morrison?
    That.... could also be true. The Supermen merge and the Lois' s merge. Still doesn't explain how we got two Lois's in the first place. The two Supermen are fairly easy to explain with the red/blue switcheroo...but not Lois.

In any case I'm not entirely sure the Supermen will merge at the end of this initial arc. The last solicit mentions Superman' s life changing here on out. A merger just means some new memories,but his life would likely remain as now. But...if his " brother" Nuperman returns to duty alongside him with the full knowledge of their true nature? That would be a game changer.

Don't get me wrong...I think they DO eventually merge. Just the timing may not be until a little later.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 12-15-2016 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    So merger? People worried over timeline issues and the "these aren't his friends" issues can cool their jets and drink the coolaid like the rest of us? Nice. Jon's been lookin' pretty Gohan-like for a while now, so literal fusion doesn't even faze me now.

I honestly didn't know or care how DC would get us to "Clark and Lois KENT have a son named Jon and they're from this world" but here it is. I just wanna do it so we can get back to business as usual with the great Superman stuff we've had so far.

I mean cause, that's basically what's gonna go down, right? This is all a glorified way of just cutting and pasting Mr. El in as THE Superman. Now that scene with Mr. El remembering rainbow Batman (and Bruce not) has a bookend to it.

Superman is still going to be Mr. El. He's going to have Mr. El personality, wife, and son (that kids here to stay). The big thing is that the Els can now have the name Kent back without it being creepy. Oh and now Kara and Clark can go back to Pre-52 closeness, and she can hang with Jon. Also this means Kenan's powers now basically come from Mr. El.

Now DC.....about the origin you'll be using. I vote an "ultimate" that's relatively vague. The 4 part bedtime story for Jon arc is lookin REEEEEEEAAAL good right about now, DC. Just sayin', man. It's here. Take it if you want it, DC. I just request that Tomasi and Gleason write it (which is likely anyway).

But after this glorified reestablishing of the Kent identity is over, can we just move on? I've been having a really great time moving forward in the Superman book, so I wanna KEEP doing that.
    This is exactly how I feel. We have some real progress and great stories with the Super Family. Yet the New 52 stuff could still count. If it shakes out that way, good enough for me. Let's just settle this and keep going with great stories.

That.... could also be true. The Supermen merge and the Lois' s merge. Still doesn't explain how we got two Lois's in the first place. The two Supermen are fairly easy to explain with the red/blue switcheroo...but not Lois.

In any case I'm not entirely sure the Supermen will merge at the end of this initial arc. The last solicit mentions Superman' s life changing here on out. A merger just means some new memories,but his life would likely remain as now. But...if his " brother" Nuperman returns to duty alongside him with the full knowledge of their true nature? That would be a game changer.
    Yeah, I have no idea how they'll explain two Lois Lanes. That seems to be the biggest mystery to me so far. There is plenty of lore to base a split Superman off of. Though a split Lois, that's something else.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

I don't think DC would risk saying the Death and Return story wasn't what it was reputed to be. I still think it's more likely any monkey business revolves around the resolution of Superman Red/ Blue and Superman Forever. I think the Superman that came back was Blue who erroneously thought he was whole because he regained his corporeal form and original powers. Blue goes on to live the life of Superman through FLASHPOINT...then he goes missing and is swapped out by red who believes he's the only Superman and lives the life of the New 52 Superman. They are both the real Superman...just split and grown apart.
    Oh, I like your theory. Makes sense given all the Supes Red/Blue references. It's just that I saw the bloodied Superman shield and that took me all the way back to 1992. I mean, why use that particular design?

Maybe it's....Jon?

Yeah, I thought the same too. Thing is, he's only half Kryptonian, so he'd have a much tougher time returning from the "dead" (if it happens) than his dad did.