Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

I think the Supermen are gonna try to merge at the end of the crossover, but, due to being separated for so long it's impossible. They then continue both being Superman and each section of the fanbase gets their Superman. Everyone's happy (especially DC, because more money)!

I'm not interested in a merger, I don't think the current writers can pull that off.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    That isn't even the freshest addition to the mythology in the past 10 years though.
    Surely you can't be insinuating that Morrison's arc/concept is the freshest addition to the mythology. By design it's not. Maybe Superman having a straight up biological son with Lois is the king of freshness, but it's up there, bruh.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Surely you can't be insinuating that Morrison's arc/concept is the freshest addition to the mythology. By design it's not. Maybe Superman having a straight up biological son with Lois is the king of freshness, but it's up there, bruh.
    The whole concept of a Bruce Springsteen, working class Superman was just so ripe and raw and exciting. It was THE best addition to the Superman mythology in at least a decade, maybe more. That's your golden goose going forward, that's what Superman needed to embrace.

A kid? Eh, they've been doing that off and on for years now. Greg Rucka threaded it in his Adventures of Superman run. We had Cir-El. Hell, SUPERMAN RETURNS even. It is old hat by now.

By design that isn't fresh or exciting. It COULD be, if executed in a remotely logical fashion.

The whole concept of a Bruce Springsteen, working class Superman was just so ripe and raw and exciting. It was THE best addition to the Superman mythology in at least a decade, maybe more. That's your golden goose going forward, that's what Superman needed to embrace.
    That wasn't an addition. It was a revamp/callback of the Golden age by Morrison's own admission. I mean I think it was a great idea to bring it back, but it was a straight homage/callback.

A kid? Eh, they've been doing that off and on for years now. Greg Rucka threaded it in his Adventures of Superman run. We had Cir-El. Hell, SUPERMAN RETURNS even. It is old hat by now.
    Never ever in earnest, though. Never Clark and Lois actually bringing up a biological child, and said child being the new Superboy. There was always a "but." Actually allowing Superman and Lois to be functioning long term parents is basically unheard of till now.

Right, this is a very new storyline

That wasn't an addition. It was a revamp/callback of the Golden age by Morrison's own admission. I mean I think it was a great idea to bring it back, but it was a straight homage/callback.

Never ever in earnest, though. Never Clark and Lois actually bringing up a biological child, and said child being the new Superboy. There was always a "but." Actually allowing Superman and Lois to be functioning long term parents is basically unheard of till now.
    Longterm? They've been parents for 20 issues so far. It just doesn't add anything beyond the superficial. I've seen no work put into making their family unique or exciting or just authentic. It's cheesy Hallmark Channel story telling thus far with an illusion of change.

If we're going to call the blue jeans and a t shirt Superman a "revamp", we might as well call everything done with the character a revamp. It was a very fresh idea, with lots of actual reverberations within the world of the stories.

the idea of having both superman operate at the same time in an misguided attempted to please everyone will just crash and burn. It's like what Marvel is doing with the original X-men, only somehow even more stupid since both versions are adults. Does anyone really think that having two Clarks who are literally just the same character but separated by their relationship status, plus a handful of mostly superficial other traits, is really going to work long term? Best merge the two and get the best of both worlds even if it pisses off the minority extremist on both sides.

Longterm? They've been parents for 20 issues so far.
    Yes longtrem, because in story they've being bringing Jon up for 10 years legit. That's just straight up never happened to a main Superman ever.

If we're going to call the blue jeans and a t shirt Superman a "revamp", we might as well call everything done with the character a revamp. It was a very fresh idea, with lots of actual reverberations within the world of the stories.
    But himself Morrison actually calls it a "callback." He never frames it as a new idea. You can still love and appreciate the idea even if it was Morrison smartly making a callback. And yeah quite a lot done with the character isn't 100% new.

Longterm? They've been parents for 20 issues so far. It just doesn't add anything beyond the superficial. I've seen no work put into making their family unique or exciting or just authentic. It's cheesy Hallmark Channel story telling thus far with an illusion of change.

But these are like... opinions, man. Ones that most don't seem to share.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    the idea of having both superman operate at the same time in an misguided attempted to please everyone will just crash and burn. It's like what Marvel is doing with the original X-men, only somehow even more stupid since both versions are adults. Does anyone really think that having two Clarks who are literally just the same character but separated by their relationship status, plus a handful of mostly superficial other traits, is really going to work long term? Best merge the two and get the best of both worlds even if it pisses off the minority extremist on both sides.
    I wouldn't make it a permanent situation,but for a few months or so? It could be fun. Eventually they will have to merge though.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Yes longtrem, because in story they've being bringing Jon up for 10 years legit. That's just straight up never happened to a main Superman ever.

But himself Morrison actually calls it a "callback." He never frames it as a new idea. You can still love and appreciate the idea even if it was Morrison smartly making a callback. And yeah quite a lot done with the character isn't 100% new.
    We're still not sure if this is even a main Superman, as DC can back out of that at any moment. They can replace him with a Superman from 20 years ago, or 6, or 12. I mean judging by how this was handled...

I'll agree that not everything is 100% new, but a callback doesn't mean a revamp. Literally everything you do with Superman will callback to something.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I wouldn't make it a permanent situation,but for a few months or so? It could be fun. Eventually they will have to merge though.
    on that we agree, it would be interesting to see the two interact more. There is SOME material to mine there, not much though what them being literally the same character at their core.

We're still not sure if this is even a main Superman, as DC can back out of that at any moment. They can replace him with a Superman from 20 years ago, or 6, or 12. I mean judging by how this was handled...
    This...doesn't change my point, though...

This...doesn't change my point, though...
    Your point is that Jon is the best addition to Superman's mythology in ages, right? Or at least, the freshest concept? I disagree entirely.

In story, they may have raised him for 10 years but what does that change for us as readers? We barely know anything about him beyond that he's a kid and 10 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    on that we agree, it would be interesting to see the two interact more. There is SOME material to mine there, not much though what them being literally the same character at their core.
    I'd rather we merge sooner than later so we can get the f@$k on with the show. I think Clark teaming up with one or all of the Superman from Multiplicity. They're all distinct in origin and personality, so it makes for a more compelling team up, imo.