Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Default Discussion: Would things have better right now...

If the New 52's Superman had been the Earth-1 Clark Kent/Kal-El, a bit with his origin story being "Superman and the Men of Steel"/the Grant Morrison 19th-issue run. and a few elements changed to fit in with the New 52's core aesthetics, what do you think? would things be better off (rendering Superman's personal Rebirthing unecessary) or would things happen the same way?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Netherman14; 12-15-2016 at 01:27 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

BTW welcome to CBR

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

BTW welcome to CBR
    O...k..., mind expanding and articulating though?

Thank you btw, even though I've joined quite a while ago I've still only managed to reset my password just recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    O...k..., mind expanding and articulating though?
    Lol no worries. Basically I think the Earth-One Superman is just the worst. You obviously enjoy the character so I won't go into a long post trying to say you're wrong for liking what you like (even though objectively you are this time ). I'll just say the idea is not inherently bad at all, but it's just done way better in other places.

Superman American Alien is a prime example, imo. That Clark is very much a person that I know, care for, and (most importantly) like. He's a thoughtful, funny, a-dork-able dude who's just figuring it out as he goes. I know and like his friends. They interact with him and the world in a very believable way (this made me believe that ultimately Pete Ross is and should be Clark's best friend given the type of guy Clark usually is). And it's probably my favorite introduction to Lois ever.

Superman Earth-One, by in the words of it's own creators was made to take a far more cynical look at the idea of the character and his world. Cynicism as the bedrock for a take on Superman is not something I enjoy.

That all said, I'm actually super guy with the Superman we have. I'm down for him being married, I like the kid, and I like that he's the unironic seasoned "mr. fix it." It's also a plus for me that some of the creators are fans of AA (the guy worked on issue 5) so that bleeds through a bit. This guy we have now is "Supereveryman" and that's how I like him.

Thank you btw, even though I've joined quite a while ago I've still only managed to reset my password just recently.
    Lol well now it's official!
    Last edited by Superlad93; 12-15-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Lol no worries. Basically I think the Earth-One Superman is just the worst. You obviously enjoy the character so I won't go into a long post trying to say you're wrong for liking what you like (even though objectively you are this time ). I'll just say the idea is not inherently bad at all, but it's just done way better in other places.

Superman American Alien is a prime example, imo. That Clark is very much a person that I know, care for, and (most importantly) like. He's a thoughtful, funny, a-dork-able dude who's just figuring it out as he goes. I know and like his friends. They interact with him and the world in a very believable way. And it's probably my favorite introduction to Lois ever.

Superman Earth-One, by in the words of it's own creators was made to take a far more cynical look at the idea of the character and his world. Cynicism as the bedrock for a take on Superman is not something I enjoy.

That all said, I'm actually super guy with the Superman we have. I'm down for him being married, I like the kid, and I like that he's the unironic seasoned "mr. fix it." It's also a plus for me that some of the creators are fans of AA (the guy worked on issue 5) so that bleeds through a bit. This guy we have now is "Supereveryman" and that's how I like him.
    I didn't quite read all of it, only the first volume/issue. and I've noticed that he's not that well accepted either, so I've wondered whether giving him some elements of the background and origin stories from the proper New 52 version would have been better, so he has the Morrison origin and that social crusader trait. but instead of finding the bio-armor he creates the suit he's wearing in the actual Earth One OGN canon himself.

Lol well now it's official!
    As I've said before, thank you very much .

I didn't quite read all of it, only the first volume/issue. and I've noticed that he's not that well accepted either, so I've wondered whether giving him some elements of the background and origin stories from the proper New 52 version would have been better, so he has the Morrison origin and that social crusader trait. but instead of finding the bio-armor he creates the suit he's wearing in the actual Earth One OGN canon himself.
    Honestly, that could've been great. I'm really liking what the main books are doing now, but if the New 52/Earth one had been an "ultimate" universe deal, then yeah. They could really lean into the social justice angle found in Morrison's first arc and Truth.

Don't get me wrong, there's some stuff in Earth one that I find worthwhile and even fascinating. The idea of Clark having so much talent but not knowing where to focus it is great allegory for being 20 something. If we'd have had him sort of stumble onto the idea of running around in a tee shirt and jeans doing his thing, then yeah that'd been really cool. Again, American Alien does a version of this better, but what if while Clark is figuring himself out he starts these "whatever you need" good deeds thing as Superman just so he has an outlet. Eventually it becomes his passion, and it partly informs his choice to become a writer (because he can't punch em all). He's on shaky ground, and he doesn't know how long this balancing act can last, but for the first time ever he feels like he's finally doing what he's supposed to be doing.

Past in the Men of Steel arc, add in some early Truth police brutality (to teach him the lesson about people in power and how to use it), and warp it with Tyrell (or whatever the f$%k his name was) coming to Earth and Clark getting the suit because it's one of his trophies from Krypton's destruction.

Yeah, I'd read that.

Honestly, that could've been great. I'm really liking what the main books are doing now, but if the New 52/Earth one had been an "ultimate" universe deal, then yeah. They could really lean into the social justice angle found in Morrison's first arc and Truth.

Don't get me wrong, there's some stuff in Earth one that I find worthwhile and even fascinating. The idea of Clark having so much talent but not knowing where to focus it is great allegory for being 20 something. If we'd have had him sort of stumble onto the idea of running around in a tee shirt and jeans doing his thing, then yeah that'd been really cool. Again, American Alien does a version of this better, but what if while Clark is figuring himself out he starts these "whatever you need" good deeds thing as Superman just so he has an outlet. Eventually it becomes his passion, and it partly informs his choice to become a writer (because he can't punch em all). He's on shaky ground, and he doesn't know how long this balancing act can last, but for the first time ever he feels like he's finally doing what he's supposed to be doing.

Past in the Men of Steel arc, add in some early Truth police brutality (to teach him the lesson about people in power and how to use it), and warp it with Tyrell (or whatever the f$%k his name was) coming to Earth and Clark getting the suit because it's one of his trophies from Krypton's destruction.

Yeah, I'd read that.
    Like he goes "This is a test run for this sort of thing, if this doesn't work it becomes a one and done", except it does work. so he just persists in doing the whole "Superman" deal to satisfy that heroic idealistic and selfless drive he just can't (and doesn't want) to ignore anymore, while also turning "Clark Kent" into a disguise and refining said mask. and as Superman gains more popularity, he becomes a reporter at the Daily Star/Planet to be able to hear of things that need Superman's attention fast. and Tyrell comes onto the scene, working with Brainiac (no "Krypton didn't explode, it was murder caused by my own race in coordination with an unknown accomplice" here) who fulfills his usual role.
    Last edited by Netherman14; 12-15-2016 at 02:44 PM.

Like he goes "This is a test run for this sort of thing, if this doesn't work it becomes a one and done", except it does work. so he just persists in doing the whole "Superman" deal to satisfy that heroic idealistic and selfless drive he just can't (and doesn't want) to ignore anymore, while also turning "Clark Kent" into a disguise and refining said mask. and as Superman gains more popularity, he becomes a reporter at the Daily Star/Planet to be able to hear of things that need Superman's attention fast. and Tyrell comes onto the scene, working with Brainiac (no "Krypton didn't explode, it was murder caused by my own race in coordination with an unknown accomplice here") who fulfills his usual role.
    Yeah 100%! It would also be really cool to see the progression of his heroic acts. You ever notice we don't see that. It's always "the big save." Why not scale it down some, and work up to it? Clark's about people before anything. It also sends a great message because it's "you can be Superman too in your own way." I don't think the first thing that comes to Clark's mind "punch out bad guys in the face for justice." Instead it's like helping the poor lady with 3 kids fix her broken car. He learns how to fix a car in 5 minutes, and dose it all before the lady has to go to work and take the kids to school the next morning without her knowing. He's an urban Santa Claus myth that people say if you only ask for help, he'll somehow help you the next day. Then it just keeps escalating because he keeps thinking "I'm here, and I CAN actually help" till he's gone public and punching out mobsters and throwing wife beaters out of the window (a new modern rendition of this would be great). The whole time he's deluding himself into thinking that he'll eventually stop.

Tyrell could even been trying to "pawn" Earth off on Brainiac to save his own world. His and Clark's fight could cap off with Clark explaining that he took the easy way out, and that if Tyrell had asked for help he would've gotten it.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 12-15-2016 at 02:53 PM.

After see YOUR AVATAR today as a cover... This is the First time that I will accept the fusion theory....

Maybe only to be able to remember my time in N52 as a happy time, Impossible thing with WW, say that HE IS NOT FAKE like N52 WW origin, life and island..

Or maybe because I did not expect that this topic could surprise me in a positive way.. After the begin of Truth, almost all Superman was a disaster(1 Disastrous year), for then kill him and rebirth Disappoint me even more, replaced, N52 fake, return to the old continuity.. Creating doubts about N52 Superman..

For the red and blue energy of both Superman in the cover... and those mentioned 20 exact years(the same month) after the last time of Blue/Red Superman... I vote for this, another red/blue superman.. .

WELCOME TO CBR..
    Last edited by adrikito; 12-15-2016 at 03:23 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Speaking as someone who liked Earth One Superman, I actually have to agree with Superlad. He works in my mind precisely because of his simplicity. Dragging him into the mess that the mainstream universe has become just harms that. It's one of the reasons I initially liked New 52. I feel it stripped him of a lot of baggage. The entire Earth One universe is just better cut off from the rest of the multiverse and allowed to go it's own path. That is it's appeal. And people who don't like it won't have to have it dragged into stuff they like. Everybody wins.
    Assassinate Putin!