Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Was CW2 more beneficial for bendis than marvel? Spoilers for several books.

So this is something I'm noticing I'm sure others have or I'm a crack pot with a conspiracy theory who knows... but on to my point!

Was Civil War 2 better for Bendis and his books than more of a marvel event?

I read just about every marvel book that takes place in the current universe weekly so I'm noticing a trend. CW2 largely dealt with characters and are planting seeds in books he himself writes:

Briefcase girl Alison, now plays a role in Jessica Jones
    Tony starks demise in some form, you now have Riri and doom as iron man titles
    Guardians ships blow up, we now have an entire arc and stories of the guardians on earth
    The visions of Miles and that whole situation now leading to miles in his title facing his demons

Of course other things are spinning out of CW

The new Hulk title
    A fresh #1 for captain marvel
    Civil war Oath (but more of a one shot which I am excited for)
    Hawkeye with Occupy Avengers

But the scales seemed to be more tipped in bendis favor for the event he wrote and more seeds in his own titles planted. Especially since Alison was just cast aside in the title even though tony was supposedly fighting Carol over arresting her and we have yet to see her again and I doubt she'll be in the finale given how she's in Jessica Jones.

Now I have nothing against his books and I like all those characters. it just seemed this event was more self serving for all the characters he writes. Do other writers do this with events or am I crazy. Just something I noticed and wanted to point out.
    Last edited by Bossace; 12-15-2016 at 02:54 PM.

Fantastic Member

Hah! The Marvel Universe right now is basically the Bendisverse.

Remember when Marvel had their "Architects"? Bendis is both the only one left - basically, he is their only really big writer right now - and he's the main corporate guy among the writers.

Between that, and how Bendis has always felt that his work is better than everyone else's, Marvel has basically spread their legs wide open for him.

Continuity doesn't matter for Bendis. Whatever he says is true, becomes the truth, even if it contradicts decades of well established stories or if it contradicts an ongoing story from a concurrent book. No editor fixes Bendis' mistakes. If he wants to replace a very well known character with a copy of his daughter, it will be so. It's basically the Bendisverse. The details Bendis doesn't have a say in are being copied from the cinematic universe anyway.

So if you think Civil War 2 was better for Bendis than for Marvel - today, there is little difference between the two of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Teste View Post

Remember when Marvel had their "Architects"? Bendis is both the only one left - basically, he is their only really big writer right now - and he's the main corporate guy among the writers.

Between that, and how Bendis has always felt that his work is better than everyone else's, Marvel has basically spread their legs wide open for him.

Continuity doesn't matter for Bendis. Whatever he says is true, becomes the truth, even if it contradicts decades of well established stories or if it contradicts an ongoing story from a concurrent book. No editor fixes Bendis' mistakes. If he wants to replace a very well known character with a copy of his daughter, it will be so. It's basically the Bendisverse. The details Bendis doesn't have a say in are being copied from the cinematic universe anyway.

So if you think Civil War 2 was better for Bendis than for Marvel - today, there is little difference between the two of them.
    Now that's being dramatic.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teste View Post

While I wouldnt go THIS far, yeah I think Bendis' used this to stroke his ego in a sense. He does play fast and loose with continuity and use really weak excuses to justify his decisions like bringing in the gotg and miles Morales because he seems to give his pet characters preferential treatment. That being said, I don't think he owns marvel. His books sell so he gets a little more leeway.

I honestly couldn't say who benefited from Civil War II. I guess it cleared the way for Riri Whoever to get a solo book.

The delays didn't do it any favors to the point that I have no idea what the last issue of it that came out was. Most of the books that I follow have ignored it.

Not really sure what the point was.

Ultimate Member

NOBODY benefitted from this mess.

I would say a lot of books got screwed up because they had parts in this saga to try to boost sales.

Incredible Member

I just feel like characters he isn't writing get written or if character. And then characters he does write get brought into the story for almost nknreasonnor seem to benefit more from the entire Event. It's like he's just propping up his charcaters sometimes at the expense of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    I just feel like characters he isn't writing get written or if character. And then characters he does write get brought into the story for almost nknreasonnor seem to benefit more from the entire Event. It's like he's just propping up his charcaters sometimes at the expense of others.
    So, who is writing the characters that Bendis is not writing "out of character" then? Seems your problem should be with these writers instead.

I know it's been denied before, but it sure seems like the higher ups have given him free reign to do whatever the hell he wants with any book he touches.

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    So, who is writing the characters that Bendis is not writing "out of character" then? Seems your problem should be with these writers instead.
    He means that when Bendis writes an event, the characters included in his event that he's not writing solos or team books for are written OOC. Like Carol Danvers for instance. Or Clint.

At least, that's how I understand it. And I tend to agree with that

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    So this is something I'm noticing I'm sure others have or I'm a crack pot with a conspiracy theory who knows... but on to my point!

Was Civil War 2 better for Bendis and his books than more of a marvel event?

I read just about every marvel book that takes place in the current universe weekly so I'm noticing a trend. CW2 largely dealt with characters and are planting seeds in books he himself writes:

Briefcase girl Alison, now plays a role in Jessica Jones
    Tony starks demise in some form, you now have Riri and doom as iron man titles
    Guardians ships blow up, we now have an entire arc and stories of the guardians on earth
    The visions of Miles and that whole situation now leading to miles in his title facing his demons

Of course other things are spinning out of CW

The new Hulk title
    A fresh #1 for captain marvel
    Civil war Oath (but more of a one shot which I am excited for)
    Hawkeye with Occupy Avengers

But the scales seemed to be more tipped in bendis favor for the event he wrote and more seeds in his own titles planted. Especially since Alison was just cast aside in the title even though tony was supposedly fighting Carol over arresting her and we have yet to see her again and I doubt she'll be in the finale given how she's in Jessica Jones.

Now I have nothing against his books and I like all those characters. it just seemed this event was more self serving for all the characters he writes. Do other writers do this with events or am I crazy. Just something I noticed and wanted to point out.
    I suspect Civil War also did a lot for Spencer and his Captain America books. I will even go far as to say he probably set up some sort of company wide Captain America event down the line. So I don't necessarily think this was a self-serving event.

More than anything I think it effected any book that wanted to be effected by it. If a given writer of a title wanted this event to take their book in a different direction it did. If a writer wanted to do their own thing, that's fine too. I think the difference between this book and the original Civil War is the original essentially almost forced the entire line of books to be hijacked by the event. This one was more optional because the scale of it was smaller.

But it still had an effect. I think there's a post CW2 rift in the MU that will be felt in books outside of Bendis. The Avengers are clearly being reshuffled a bit for example.

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

I'd say Captain Hydra's book benefited from it, only because Spencer was able fill in the plotholes left by Bendis.
    "I can talk to spiders"
    - Kaine Parker

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Chicken View Post
    I'd say Captain Hydra's book benefited from it, only because Spencer was able fill in the plotholes left by Bendis.
    That's true
    few other books like Uncanny Avengers also benefited because they told their stories ignoring Civil War 2.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    That's true
    few other books like Uncanny Avengers also benefited because they told their stories ignoring Civil War 2.
    Uncanny inhumans was another great series that tied into civil war ii I really liked the uncanny avengers tie ins especially the ultimates all really great and especially captain america Steve Rogers the Sam Wilson tie ins were also really good too.

140 books and it was practically forgettable. If Bendis wanted there to be any fallout from CWII it didn't need this event to get him there. This was like someone opening a jack in the box - there is a fright moment, but once you realise what it is, you move on. There needed to be some predictive system left over after CWII. Madam Web. Anybody else with predictive powers. But it seems we got nothing. We'll wait and see.