Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I suspect Civil War also did a lot for Spencer and his Captain America books. I will even go far as to say he probably set up some sort of company wide Captain America event down the line. So I don't necessarily think this was a self-serving event.

More than anything I think it effected any book that wanted to be effected by it. If a given writer of a title wanted this event to take their book in a different direction it did. If a writer wanted to do their own thing, that's fine too. I think the difference between this book and the original Civil War is the original essentially almost forced the entire line of books to be hijacked by the event. This one was more optional because the scale of it was smaller.

But it still had an effect. I think there's a post CW2 rift in the MU that will be felt in books outside of Bendis. The Avengers are clearly being reshuffled a bit for example.
    Well, I wish there was an underground Avengers, like the Rebel Avengers after CWI then. The split I'm seeing is superficial at the most.

My problem is I'm not seeing a rumble going through the post-CWII books being launched. There appears to be some housecleaning of sorts, but would it kill Marvel to show some aftereffects? Cho going Rogue, blowing up anything Alpha Flight; Clint getting some religion like Karnak; Miles Morales throwing a hissy fit, anything that tells me he's human and not a zombie; elevate Doom to the Senate or something. Throw a scare through the place.

Someone opened the cracks in the dry clay earth and CWII fell through.

Whatever's going on with Steve Rogers is creepy, but even his story is breaking the 4th wall with flashbacks telling us Steve avoided this or that, so even that doesn't send chills down your spine like a Norman Osborn would being given the Thunderbolts to lead.
    Last edited by jackolover; 12-16-2016 at 10:28 AM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Well, I wish there was an underground Avengers, like the Rebel Avengers after CWI then. The split I'm seeing is superficial at the most.

My problem is I'm not seeing a rumble going through the post-CWII books being launched. There appears to be some housecleaning of sorts, but would it kill Marvel to show some aftereffects? Cho going Rogue, blowing up anything Alpha Flight; Clint getting some religion like Karnak; Miles Morales throwing a hissy fit, anything that tells me he's human and not a zombie; elevate Doom to the Senate or something. Throw a scare through the place.

Someone opened the cracks in the dry clay earth and CWII fell through.

Whatever's going on with Steve Rogers is creepy, but even his story is breaking the 4th wall with flashbacks telling us Steve avoided this or that, so even that doesn't send chills down your spine like a Norman Osborn would being given the Thunderbolts to lead.
    Read Spider-Man #10. Apparently, it's some of the strongest character work Bendis has done with Miles in a long while.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Read Spider-Man #10. Apparently, it's some of the strongest character work Bendis has done with Miles in a long while.
    We can hope, because all I saw was weepy Miles, which I take is his reaction to battle trauma. I would have thought he could become sterner from the experience.
    Last edited by jackolover; 12-16-2016 at 04:53 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Bendis writes for Marvel. It's in Marvel's interests for Bendis's books to do well. So it doesn't make much sense to make this distinction of Bendis vs. Marvel.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I could have went without the BLM reference in it-those pages could have went to something else.

Then again Miles or Bendis seems to forget MILES CAN TURN INVISIBLE and could have left.

BANNED

continuity bends for Bendis. He cant keep it straight even in his own books.for example we see tony dead and miles cradling the corpse in 10 presumably from civil war 8 but he turns up for some much needed advice from his buddy in the oath. Go figure! maybe it is his digital avatar who turns up offering to become his sidekick and hydra cap refuses so having nothing better to do like running stark industries he goes to riri to become her Jocasta. Or maybe its like marvel continuity has become a fluid reality due to space/time being damaged because of eternity being imprisoned and damaged due to hank McCoy the new no. 1 hated mutant after all a watcher does not lightly break his vow of being silent and not judging and in interfering to express his disgust for you so obviously he has damaged reality so that cyclops who was supposedly had commited Hitler like atrocities in actuality all he did was get sick curl up and die leaving Emma in the unenviable position of trying to fill his shoes in IvsX. Bet she gets screwed over in this war like him in AvsX.
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 12-17-2016 at 08:42 AM.

iMan 42s

I don't feel like Civil War 2 was even beneficial to Bendis, at least when it came to his Iron man books.

He could do something in International and wrapped up a loose end from Gillen's run. But after his first arc he had to get ready for CW2 which means he had to bring in Rhodey and disguise it enough that it wasn't essential reading, but was connected to the event. Subsequent issues are built around CW2 and thus he had to go right into an event out of the gate. Then somebody at Marvel liked Riri Williams enough to give her a book and thus Bendis now had to put focus on Riri when she barely had enough for a single comic in her total appearances at that point. So then Bendis has to just shove her into Civil war 2 and is promptly ignored after she gets a line.

I'm blaming editorial mandate because Bendis is at the very least trying to make it work. We know Cw2 was coming because of the movie, we know Riri is here because the higher ups thought she could be popular, and it seems Bendis got to write Iron man because he had to do the event. It seems to me that he simply made what the situation gave him. He wanted to write Iron man but he had to write a tie-in event in record time AND construct the Marvel universe for the next year or two. Again, I'm blaming the editorial.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Teste View Post
    Between that, and how Bendis has always felt that his work is better than everyone else's,
    This I like.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Chicken View Post
    I'd say Captain Hydra's book benefited from it, only because Spencer was able fill in the plotholes left by Bendis.
    I like to think Spencer was just writing up his Captain America book when he got an email of Bendis' script for Civil War from Marvel and was just like "God damnit, now I gotta fix this..."

His tie in's really saved this story for me. I would consider them essential reading for this event, which is kind of rare from tie ins. I also I appreciated Kelly Thompson trying to justify She Hulk getting KO'ed by a missle, however, I don't feel a punch from Thanos should do THAT much damage to her.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    however, I don't feel a punch from Thanos should do THAT much damage to her.
    As a huge and very selective fan of Thanos:

Agreed, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Teste View Post
    Hah! The Marvel Universe right now is basically the Bendisverse.

Remember when Marvel had their "Architects"? Bendis is both the only one left - basically, he is their only really big writer right now - and he's the main corporate guy among the writers.

Between that, and how Bendis has always felt that his work is better than everyone else's, Marvel has basically spread their legs wide open for him.

Continuity doesn't matter for Bendis. Whatever he says is true, becomes the truth, even if it contradicts decades of well established stories or if it contradicts an ongoing story from a concurrent book. No editor fixes Bendis' mistakes. If he wants to replace a very well known character with a copy of his daughter, it will be so. It's basically the Bendisverse. The details Bendis doesn't have a say in are being copied from the cinematic universe anyway.

So if you think Civil War 2 was better for Bendis than for Marvel - today, there is little difference between the two of them.
    PREACH! It's time for Bendis to loosen his grip on the reins.

I don't understand this. Of course his books are going to play more with his event. It's ALWAYS how Bendis has structured his events. Back when he was writing the Avengers titles and doing Secret Invasion/Siege those books tied in so heavily with the main event they could be considered part of it. He's always used the events as a way to do the big stuff with the side titles used to develop a small beat. Even him being the apparent driving force behind a lot of the events and shakeups are nothing new, its been that way since the 2000's

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    So this is something I'm noticing I'm sure others have or I'm a crack pot with a conspiracy theory who knows... but on to my point!

Was Civil War 2 better for Bendis and his books than more of a marvel event?

I read just about every marvel book that takes place in the current universe weekly so I'm noticing a trend. CW2 largely dealt with characters and are planting seeds in books he himself writes:

Briefcase girl Alison, now plays a role in Jessica Jones
    Tony starks demise in some form, you now have Riri and doom as iron man titles
    Guardians ships blow up, we now have an entire arc and stories of the guardians on earth
    The visions of Miles and that whole situation now leading to miles in his title facing his demons

Of course other things are spinning out of CW

The new Hulk title
    A fresh #1 for captain marvel
    Civil war Oath (but more of a one shot which I am excited for)
    Hawkeye with Occupy Avengers

But the scales seemed to be more tipped in bendis favor for the event he wrote and more seeds in his own titles planted. Especially since Alison was just cast aside in the title even though tony was supposedly fighting Carol over arresting her and we have yet to see her again and I doubt she'll be in the finale given how she's in Jessica Jones.

Now I have nothing against his books and I like all those characters. it just seemed this event was more self serving for all the characters he writes. Do other writers do this with events or am I crazy. Just something I noticed and wanted to point out.
    It has always been like this with writers and events

Aaron and Original Sin
    Hickman and his events
    all the writers involved with AvX etc
    We need better comics

I think the only way Bendis is benefiting is through exposure of his pet characters, which isn't really anything new. Particularly Miles Morales and Iron Man, and in Iron Man's case, helping to set up his story line. Though his reputation as far as being a respected writer is up for debate, though some would argue that ship sailed long ago.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Incredible Member

Bendis does love his pet characters that's for sure. I was just hoping we'd see the lime light of events more shared in the event book not just these are my favorite characters because I'm writing about them. As difficult as this sound I feel if you are spearheading an event you should use all the toys in the toy box at your disposal and use them properly not with your own perceived thought of continuity.