Default Action Comics #969

Well this is my first thread and english isn't even my first language, but here we go.
    Well i read the issue yesterday, so i'm speaking from memory.
    L'Call backstory and mission is revealed and Superman manage to find his way to the Godslayer world and that's about it. Not a lot happens but is decent overall, L'Call seems like a decent charather even with his 90s style and Superman and Lex are more or less on point. The descompression is still very noticeable, thought, but i doubt that it could get as repetitive as "Path of Doom" (still enjoy that story thought). Patrick Zicher's art is still pretty to look out.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I was surprised by how okay I was with L'Call's backstory. I thought I'd roll my eyes the whole time--and yeah it was pretty clunky--but I thought it was okay overall.

PS. Your English isn't bad at all!

Agreed, is servicable enought IHMO and because i have a fondness for the 90s, i don't have a problem with the book personally, even when is kind of bland in some parts. For curiosity, is your avatar image Ares God of War from Marvel?/
    Thanks, i'm working on it, when you combine learning with your hobbie things go well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    For curiosity, is your avatar image Ares God of War from Marvel?/
    Yup that's him. Always liked him as a character plus he's my star sign. Slightly unrelated: I wish someone would bring back the idea that Superman is a rival to the heroes of myth like Samson and Atlas in All-Star. Wonder Woman is using Ares, but she hasn't touched Hercules or Atlas in ages. It'd be cool to see Superman make use of them.

Thanks, i'm working on it, when you combine learning with your hobbie things go well.
    This is a beautiful sentiment.

Cool, i have been thinking in reading his mini, it is any good?.
    Slightly unrelated: I wish someone would bring back the idea that Superman is a rival to the heroes of myth like Samson and Atlas in All-Star. Wonder Woman is using Ares, but she hasn't touched Hercules or Atlas in ages. It'd be cool to see Superman make use of them.
    I think that the closet thing that we gotten to that was the "The Coming of Atlas" by James Robinson. I wonder what would happen to Hercules now with the recent retcon.
    This is a beautiful sentiment.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I pretty much agree word for word. I started this story thinking they're worthless goons, and part of me still feels that lack of investment, but I see an effort and I don't mind it at all.

I think Zircher's work looked better here because of the angles he used.

Incredible Member

L'call is clearly hesitating to kill Lex, if he wanted to kill Lex he would have already.

I think this and the events of Superwoman will drive Lex back into the life of villany. I can't help but feel bad for poor Superlex, he tries to go legit and all he gets are other people coming in, beating him up, then telling him he's a bad guy. Superdad is pretty much the only one giving him some respect right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Cool, i have been thinking in reading his mini, it is any good?.
    Haven't read it yet, but it's on my list.

I think that the closet thing that we gotten to that was the "The Coming of Atlas" by James Robinson. I wonder what would happen to Hercules now with the recent retcon.
    Yeah Robinson attempted it (thought it could have been more interesting), but no one really followed up on it. I'd loved to see a revamped Hercules act as a mythic rival to Clark. Maybe even cast him as a Namor type who is always trying to get with Lois even though she's married and has a kid?

Not a bad issue. I enjoyed the backstory, if a bit cliched. I like how Superman figured out how to get to Lex. I also really enjoyed Lex showing some faith in Superman. While not an action packed issue (which is good by me), it did start to show some character growth with both Superman and Lex starting to change their thinking about each other. Clearly this issue is to give us some plot points on the antagonists, who came off as simple goons in their introduction. I found that I liked the "villains" a bit more when given their perspective. Also, handy to know one of the two has the power to weaken his opponents. Which explains how he was able to get the drop on Superman initially. I believe that was brought up earlier but nice that it was reinforced a bit more. I wonder if we'll get an explanation on how his weakening ability works. I can see Lex figuring out how to nullify that power so Superman can save him.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    L'call is clearly hesitating to kill Lex, if he wanted to kill Lex he would have already.

I think this and the events of Superwoman will drive Lex back into the life of villany. I can't help but feel bad for poor Superlex, he tries to go legit and all he gets are other people coming in, beating him up, then telling him he's a bad guy. Superdad is pretty much the only one giving him some respect right now.
    I hope you're wrong. Evil Lex is such a boring character, and worse, he has nowhere to go, nor ways to grow. Superlex is still mostly dark grey, but it's a lot more interesting than him being is ancient evil self in a suit and his ugly green armour.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post

I honestly hope that, once Superman Prime rescues him, that Lex will remain on his non-villain path. After all, I suspect Superwoman Lana will be rescuing him shortly in her own book ...

I like how Superman figured out how to get to Lex. I also really enjoyed Lex showing some faith in Superman. While not an action packed issue (which is good by me), it did start to show some character growth with both Superman and Lex starting to change their thinking about each other.
    True, i forgot about that, it was nice to see those 2 things.