Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    thisis fanfic, these tweets are from last year and have nothing to do with the actual problem.

I follow him and saw his tweets about the oddissey comic and they were ok.
    I disagree with this assessment, I can't imagine that both incidents didn't contribute to the firing, especially since it's showing a pattern of behavior. I mean he previously criticized a high profile work (Earth One) and complained about it having sequels green lit while their work didn't. And then on the day DC is trying to give the Odyssey a PR push he's tweeting about how it's unfair that story is being published instead of the one they pitched...like you just can't do that an employee, it's common sense like Drz said.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Wait, this thing was going to have the Cheetah, Giganta, Blue Snowman and Circe in it and they're taking it away from me?

Goddammit DC, why is it always two steps forward one step back? Those tweets probably weren't the wisest decision the creative team could have made (but then...Frank Cho hasn't been let go yet), but this seems like total overkill.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Goddammit DC, why is it always two steps forward one step back? Those tweets probably weren't the wisest decision the creative team could have made (but then...Frank Cho hasn't been let go yet), but this seems like total overkill.
    According to Bleeding Cool it seems that DC believes that Ray Dillon arranged to have The Mary Sue pick up/publish the story over this "controversy", which would explain the overkill.

Even without that though I'm not sure it's overkill, you crap on your employer in public you run the risk of getting fired.

Jeez, what is with Wonder Woman and all this ugliness recently?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

DC has always been a bit of back and forth with Diana. They don't know what to do with her.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    Y'know what would've happened if DC just ignored the couple's complaints? Nothing. At all. No one would've cared. I'm guessing around 2% of their readers, and that's a generous estimate, even knew anything about the tweets at all. At absolute worst, Dillon comes across as just another disgruntled artist grumbling to the wind.

Y'know what's gonna happen now that they've made a big public show of firing the couple while they were working on a well-selling, well-regarded series? Everyone's going to point a giant magnifying glass on each and every little tweet in exact precise detail, lighting them up and picking sides and picking nits and blowing the situation up ten times more than it would've been, and every single conclusion -- warranted or not -- is going to paint DC as the unscrupulous company who still, after years and years, can't treat their talent properly.

Meanwhile, Grievoux's book is just going to have negative publicity attached to it for its whole run and unfairly juxtaposed with de Liz's already critically-acclaimed series.

No one wins here. Like I'm actually still flabbergasted that DC managed to find and take the one path where there is absolutely no up-side.
    Perceptive. All of this.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

You know, in any profession, if you badmouth your employers and/or fellow workers on a social media, there's a strong chance that you will lose your job. Only in the comic book industry this kind of behavior is not only tolerated but also stimulated and praised. I simply can't understand that.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    According to Bleeding Cool it seems that DC believes that Ray Dillon arranged to have The Mary Sue pick up/publish the story over this "controversy", which would explain the overkill.

Even without that though I'm not sure it's overkill, you crap on your employer in public you run the risk of getting fired.
    Yeah that was a seriously dumb move. It looks like they gave them a pass for the earth one stuff but the Mary Sue article and his twitter comments likely tipped the scale. If he is going to be like that about every other Wonder Woman project they pitch that doesn't include them then maybe it was worth just letting them go than having him gripe about not getting another gig while they had there own gig lined up for 2 years.

If the tweets were the Problem, they wouldn't have greenlit a second volume. Also I don't visit or endorse Bleeding cool so I have no idea what it says. But as another user said, its Fanfic. About 90% of it is just speculation and rumors or assumptions, so any thing posted there, I consider to be just gossip talk, not news.

Good news though! It seems the Gofundme page for them has finished and will carry them to 2017. The fans are great.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    If the tweets were the Problem, they wouldn't have greenlit a second volume. Also I don't visit or endorse Bleeding cool so I have no idea what it says. But as another user said, its Fanfic. About 90% of it is just speculation and rumors or assumptions, so any thing posted there, I consider to be just gossip talk, not news.

Good news though! It seems the Gofundme page for them has finished and will carry them to 2017. The fans are great.
    I would agree that Bleeding Cool is not a great source, though I wish there was something that provided a comparable news outlet into the comics industry. However, as the person who had his post labelled "fanfic" by the previously mentioned poster, I strongly disagree that my characterization of Ray Dillon's tweets was anything but a shorter version of what he said.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I would agree that Bleeding Cool is not a great source, though I wish there was something that provided a comparable news outlet into the comics industry. However, as the person who had his post labelled "fanfic" by the previously mentioned poster, I strongly disagree that my characterization of Ray Dillon's tweets was anything but a shorter version of what he said.
    I didn't mean what they reported about him was fanfic. Again I don't even click BC links, so I never read it. My experience with that site has been fanfic. Not this instance specifically.

And yes, I wish more people reported on this. More reliable sources like CBR maybe. Besides the one article announcing that it was axed.

Just to clarify a few things because I appreciate this community.

I had zero to do with the Mary Sue article. And it wasn't their fault for running it either.

It wasn't my tweets.

It wasn't sales.

We wish no ill will on DC, or the Amazons team. I enjoy Kevin and Ryan's work a lot.

We're appreciative of the opportunity DC gave us.

We're sad but moving on and are really feeling the love of the people who have supported our careers as well as IDW and Marvel.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

~RAY

Quote Originally Posted by RAY DILLON View Post
    Just to clarify a few things because I appreciate this community.

I had zero to do with the Mary Sue article. And it wasn't their fault for running it either.

It wasn't my tweets.

It wasn't sales.

We wish no ill will on DC, or the Amazons team. I enjoy Kevin and Ryan's work a lot.

We're appreciative of the opportunity DC gave us.

We're sad but moving on and are really feeling the love of the people who have supported our careers as well as IDW and Marvel.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

~RAY
    Thanks for the clarification. I knew one of you would pop here soon. And for affirming for me how much of a terrible "news" site BC is.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

To be honest, I was on DC's side after reading the article, till coming to this thread and reading everyone's perspectives...

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    To be honest, I was on DC's side after reading the article, till coming to this thread and reading everyone's perspectives...
    Ever since she announce she was a big Amethyst fan and has all these amazing ideas for a story, I've always been a fan and I'll always support her because of that.