Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What was the orginial plan of the "Wonder Woman" movie?

The retcon was quite obvious after BVS' bad reception.

In BVS, WW seems to give up on humanity. She knew Lex was doing something sinister but chose not to bother UNTIL Doomsday went rampage for a little while.

In the actual movie, we saw that WW never gave up on humanity, actually Steve reignited her hope on humanity and beat Ares. The "she abandoned humanity" setting was completely retconned when Gadot herself said it in the interview before JL.

I still wonder what was the original plan? Some really really dark WWI drama, humans' own darkness led to the death of her whole team?

I don't think it would have been much different. It's obvious that there were many ideas related to Diana discussed during the making of BvS that were going to be subject to change for her solo film, irrespective of the reception to BvS. Like when the costume designers had said the red of her armor was the congealed blood of all the victims she had slain over the centuries That... does not compute with DCEU Diana or her backstory as established in the film at all. And what we got was too major a change from a centuries old Diana slaughtering enemies in her Wonder Woman armor to have been made after the reception to BvS was considered. They had no time to make that level of course correction to a film that by then (late March 2016) was nearing the end of filming.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 12-24-2017 at 02:31 PM.

BANNED

Maybe some shots of gore or other shocking visuals were cut out. That would have been easy to do without changing the story.

BvS gave the unmistakable impression that someone in authority was pacing around the whole time asking himself, "Now how can I make this gratuitously dark?" There was a forced, phony, relentless dimension in its darkness. The movie was driven by the belief that darkness itself was its selling point, as opposed to its being organic to the story.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    The retcon was quite obvious after BVS' bad reception.

In BVS, WW seems to give up on humanity. She knew Lex was doing something sinister but chose not to bother UNTIL Doomsday went rampage for a little while.

In the actual movie, we saw that WW never gave up on humanity, actually Steve reignited her hope on humanity and beat Ares. The "she abandoned humanity" setting was completely retconned when Gadot herself said it in the interview before JL.

I still wonder what was the original plan? Some really really dark WWI drama, humans' own darkness led to the death of her whole team?
    Nothing was changed. The whole film was already filmed by the time BvS came out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Maybe some shots of gore or other shocking visuals were cut out. That would have been easy to do without changing the story.

BvS gave the unmistakable impression that someone in authority was pacing around the whole time asking himself, "Now how can I make this gratuitously dark?" There was a forced, phony, relentless dimension in its darkness. The movie was driven by the belief that darkness itself was its selling point, as opposed to its being organic to the story.
    Snyder is the guy who looks at great comics like Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns and only sees violence and darkness. And when he makes movies out of them that is all he brings to the screen, multiplied. He's basically an edgelord. He's the guy that looks at a Liefeld Cable comic and thinks, you know what, those guns could be bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    Nothing was changed. The whole film was already filmed by the time BvS came out.
    Then how come there is obvious retcon and disconnection?

Then how come there is obvious retcon and disconnection?
    What is the obvious retcon and disconnection?

Quote Originally Posted by TheSupernaut View Post
    What is the obvious retcon and disconnection?
    Diana Prince: A hundred years ago I walked away from mankind; from a century of horrors... Men made a world where standing together is impossible.

That's obviously not what we saw from the WW in her own movie. The attitude was also entirely different.

The "walked away" is also retconned by Galdot's own interview before JL.

BANNED

Diana Prince: A hundred years ago I walked away from mankind; from a century of horrors... Men made a world where standing together is impossible.

That's obviously not what we saw from the WW in her own movie. The attitude was also entirely different.

The "walked away" is also retconned by Galdot's own interview before JL.
    Her movie takes place a hundred years ago. The events of her movie is what made her turn away from humanity. Before the retcon. The effects of which have not yet been seen on screen.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    Not quite, Batman vs Superman was released in March 2016. Principal photography of Wonder Woman had already begun on November 21, 2015, but it didn't finish until May 9, 2016, which was after the backlash against BvS's tone was very clear and regime change at DC Films had taken place. The film also had additional reshoots in November of 2016.

Both Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot have explicitly stated that the ending of the film was changed because it had become clear by the end of filming that their Wonder Woman would never give up and walk away from humanity, necessitating the clever retcon by re-contextualizing in Justice League of her absense as simply working in the shadows, rather than the light as Superman had done prior to Zod's invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Her movie takes place a hundred years ago. The events of her movie is what made her turn away from humanity. Before the retcon. The effects of which have not yet been seen on screen.
    She never turned away from humanity.

Diana Prince: I used to want to save the world. To end war and bring peace to mankind. But then, I glimpsed the darkness that lives within their light. I learned that inside every one of them, there will always be both. The choice each must make for themselves - something no hero will ever defeat. I've touched the darkness that lives in between the light. Seen the worst of this world, and the best. Seen the terrible things men do to each other in the name of hatred, and the lengths they'll go to for love. Now I know. Only love can save this world. So I stay. I fight, and I give... for the world I know can be. This is my mission, now. Forever.

She never turned away from humanity.

Diana Prince: I used to want to save the world. To end war and bring peace to mankind. But then, I glimpsed the darkness that lives within their light. I learned that inside every one of them, there will always be both. The choice each must make for themselves - something no hero will ever defeat. I've touched the darkness that lives in between the light. Seen the worst of this world, and the best. Seen the terrible things men do to each other in the name of hatred, and the lengths they'll go to for love. Now I know. Only love can save this world. So I stay. I fight, and I give... for the world I know can be. This is my mission, now. Forever.
    It's entirely possible this particular inner monologue takes place in the present day.

Playing devil's advocate aside, I do feel the movie was intended to be darker than it was. I remember when that CW first look came out and the color palette was less colorful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSupernaut View Post
    It's entirely possible this particular inner monologue takes place in the present day.
    Not just the monologue, the entire movie showed she never gave up hope, that brief moment was saved by Steve's heroic action.

In BVS it was entirely different, she said something like I've quoted, didn't want to do a thing, not even warn Superman or Batman when Lex was obviously planning something really evil. She even hesitated when Doomsday had come out.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Not quite, Batman vs Superman was released in March 2016. Principal photography of Wonder Woman had already begun on November 21, 2015, but it didn't finish until May 9, 2016, which was after the backlash against BvS's tone was very clear and regime change at DC Films had taken place. The film also had additional reshoots in November of 2016.

Both Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot have explicitly stated that the ending of the film was changed because it had become clear by the end of filming that their Wonder Woman would never give up and walk away from humanity, necessitating the clever retcon by re-contextualizing in Justice League of her absense as simply working in the shadows, rather than the light as Superman had done prior to Zod's invasion.
    Do you have of the last sentence that the ending was changed? A source?