Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I meant the current ones from Disney XD. Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assembled, Hulk and the Agents of SMASH and Guardians are all awful.
    Guardians actually looks great.
    If you mute it.
    I watched the first episode and liked it until Starlord opened his mouth and sounded like Archie Andrews.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    There is absolutely nothing sexist about this. Its only a callback to the true classic status quo of Lois and Clark. Lois classically DID have the crush on Superman and ignored Clark. That was a key and most fun part of the dynamic. I can't recall if the same dynamic was true for Diana and Steve back in the day, but that was definitely the case with Lois and Clark.
    Yep. Steve was exactly the same way. Didn't give a crap about Diana Prince, but Wonder Woman had his undivided attention.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Guardians actually looks great.
    If you mute it.
    I watched the first episode and liked it until Starlord opened his mouth and sounded like Archie Andrews.
    Maybe it's because I've seen a lot of stuff with Will Friedle in it, but my first thought was a more whiney Ron Stoppable .

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    There is absolutely nothing sexist about this. Its only a callback to the true classic status quo of Lois and Clark. Lois classically DID have the crush on Superman and ignored Clark. That was a key and most fun part of the dynamic. I can't recall if the same dynamic was true for Diana and Steve back in the day, but that was definitely the case with Lois and Clark.
    Same. I didn't see anything sexist in those scenes. People need to stop throwing words like that so loosely.

I just love how, with Kevin Conroy back as Batman, we basically have DCAU Batman thrust into a more Silver Age-y and wild and crazy comic book world reminiscent of Brave and the Bold. It's like half the fun of this version of Batman. It almost makes up for the likelihood that they had to boot Roger Craig Smith from playing Batman like they did Troy Baker as Joker to accommodate Conroy and Hamill.

Jason Lewis is a solid Superman, almost sounding like a softer Tim Daly at some points. As far as characterization goes, Supes here is strong, compassionate, clever, and not afraid to smile. What more could one want from a depiction of the Man of Steel ?

Rachel Kimsey's Wonder Woman has a lot of spunk to go along with her Amazon warrior personality, and she also tells it like it is. Though in her bluntness she can seem a little more aggressive and a little less compassionate, but at least it's evident that she understands the value of tactics (which puts her above early New 52 Diana) and is intelligent. Also nice to see that, while Diana has a sword and shield here, she's perfectly willing to forego both for her fists and lasso.

It was nice to get Sean Astin to return return as Cap...I mean, Shazam, though having him try and play both Billy and the Big Red Cheese kind of demonstrated why those two generally have different VA's. And it's always nice to see the red Marvel take on his nemesis in a solid Superhero brawl.

Speaking of, Gary Cole was certainly an...interesting choice for Black Adam. I wouldn't say he was completely miscast, since I think his performance improved over the course of Adam's screentime, but it was definitely not the kind of voice I would ever expect to hear coming out of villain like Black Adam. Though it was pretty cool seeing Adam as the main villain of the "Shazam Slam" special or the Djinn arc, and demonstrate just how powerful an antagonist he can be.

So Jimmy (voiced by Max Mittleman who well-represents Jimmy's youth and pluck) is the Daily Planet's online cameraman here? Neat little update for him, though he still apparently hasn't moved on from bow ties...but it was nice seeing classic Jimmy show up and manage to help Superman and Wonder Woman, and he had some really funny lines. Way more fun then he's ever been on Supergirl, and he didn't even need a costumed identity to contribute! Hope we see "Ms. Lane" soon as well .

I watch Arrow pretty regularly, but it's sooooo refreshing to have a media adaption use a more classic, jovial, snarky Green Arrow again (and with the goatee!). Some of Ollie's lines and his banter with Batman were the highlight of the special. Chris Diamantopoulos, reprising his role from Batman Unlimited, continues to do a great Green Arrow. I hope we get to see him together with Black Canary soon, though I'd be happy just seeing Dinah pop up.

Diedrich Bader is a fun Booster Gold. His and Batman's relationship looks like it'll be interesting, especially with the kind of meta-context of Booster being voiced by a former Batman and Batman being voiced by Conroy, though judging by those training videos it looks like Booster has taken over Guy Gardner's job of being Batman's punching bag. Surprised we didn't see Skeets.

Poor Hall of Justice...trashed in only a few minutes. And then they quickly move onto a "Watchtower" that feels more like a Mount Justice then a Watchtower, at least if we're taking the traditional incarnations into account, though it's a cool visual (and hey, Hal cameo!).

It was neat that they were able to use this Djinn storyline to fit in an adaption of the Demon Three storyline, complete with Plastic Man crossdressing as Wonder Woman (those are nice boots...).

Mark Hamill's Swamp Thing was a little more peppy then I would expect, though it was cool seeing him and Constantine in this ahead of the Justice League Dark movie next year. And while Damian O'Hare is no Matt Ryan, he does a decent John Constantine, and his exaggerated British accent was hilarious. "You said it John" .

I hope "Justice League...Action!" is just a one-time thing and not a consistent catchphrase.

Wow, nice write-up man.

Caught the Wiz Shazam and Batman ep this morning. First episode I managed to see. And wow....Has CN shown this toon ANY Love at all? Cause I haven't seen one advertisement for this show....WTF CN!? It not Team Titans enough for you?

they used the voice of Cyborg from teen titans (which i loved as a kid, booyah) and injustice yet again. If the comics want to make Cyborg work, they should write him to fit more with the personality whatever-his-name, brings to the table. Its clearly the most successful and popular version anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    they used the voice of Cyborg from teen titans (which i loved as a kid, booyah) and injustice yet again. If the comics want to make Cyborg work, they should write him to fit more with the personality whatever-his-name, brings to the table. Its clearly the most successful and popular version anyway.
    Khary Payton .

Quote Originally Posted by Flyattractor View Post
    Caught the Wiz Shazam and Batman ep this morning. First episode I managed to see. And wow....Has CN shown this toon ANY Love at all? Cause I haven't seen one advertisement for this show....WTF CN!? It not Team Titans enough for you?
    There was a commercial with Beast Boy and Cyborg from TTG! promoting the "Shazam Slam" special, and they were pretty actively promoting it on their twitter, but that's about it.

Cartoons seem to have a much simpler universe. They can use Zatanna and we do not even need to know that her father is Zatara. They can use Dr Fate and we do not even need to know if the guy was active during world war 2 or not.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

That's CN for you. Only advertise the shows they want instead of the other shows they have. I'm guessing that's why Pokemon went to Disney XD, CN just couldn't care for it.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Cartoons seem to have a much simpler universe. They can use Zatanna and we do not even need to know that her father is Zatara. They can use Dr Fate and we do not even need to know if the guy was active during world war 2 or not.
    Very true.

It's obviously because it's marketed to kids, first and foremost. Kids don't want to feel like they're in school when they watch a cartoon. It's a bad idea to overload them with a ton of backstory unless it's somehow important to the story.

The kids don't need Zatanna's full backstory. They just need to see the awesome lady in the top hat nailing Felix Faust with a shoryuken from out of her hat. That's all they need to see to learn to love her. If they REALLY want to learn everything there is to know about her? That's what the Internet is for.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

sur[rised you haven't seen the lobo episodes yet

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Khary Payton .

There was a commercial with Beast Boy and Cyborg from TTG! promoting the "Shazam Slam" special, and they were pretty actively promoting it on their twitter, but that's about it.

The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Well, cartoons that have to work with 11-minute of story .

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    sur[rised you haven't seen the lobo episodes yet

I knew there was one, but I wasn't aware it aired already. heck. I almost didn't know the Show was even on. It on the Web anywhere yet?