Default Is Penguin now the mayor of Gotham city?

Or should he be?
    Just read the Catwoman election special the other day which kind of doesnt really clear up who won the election.
    now is hard to say if this was meant to be canon or not but would it fit now?

In Batman Earth One you can see Cobblepot as Mayor of Gotham...

In Forever Evil(N52) the Penguin was the Self-proclaimed mayor of Gotham( if I remember this correctly)... Many villains Ruled some gotham area until Bane defeats them...

Not sure if Penguin is mayor of Gotham in current comic continuity. He certainly hasn't been shown as such in the Rebirth Bat titles I have been reading (Batman, Detective Comics, Nightwing, Batgirl, Birds of Prey). I did not read the Catwoman election special.

There is a long history of Penguin either being mayor or running for mayor. In addition to the examples adrikito mentioned above, Penguin ran for mayor in the 1966 Adam West series, he ran for mayor in Batman Returns in 1992, and he was mayor in the 2003 Batman Adventures vol 2 comic book series. Penguin is also mayor in the current season of Gotham on FOX.
    Last edited by kevink31593; 12-16-2016 at 05:40 AM.
    Post CBR reboot join date: May 2014, Pre CBR reboot join date: April 2005
    Official DC message boards join date (as Batman Fan 31593): April 2000

BANNED

I wouldn't mind seeing Penguin as the hero Gotham needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    Or should he be?
    Just read the Catwoman election special the other day which kind of doesnt really clear up who won the election.
    now is hard to say if this was meant to be canon or not but would it fit now?
    No, he didn't win. Both major candidates dropped out of the race since both were indicted because of some crime (which would mean that the whole thing was ultimately won by -- the Libertarian candidate -- perhaps? That would be weirdly fitting for Gotham!) and anyway I refuse to accept anything ever written by Meredith Finch as part of the DC Universe, even if explicitly stated as outside of continuity, so that doesn't even matter in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    . . . and anyway I refuse to accept anything ever written by Meredith Finch as part of the DC Universe, even if explicitly stated as outside of continuity, so that doesn't even matter in the end.
    That whole story seemed outside of continuity and not at all in synch with what was happening with Catwoman in King's "I am Suicide" run that was simultaneously happening in Batman.

Always Rakzo

One of the most important rules of reading comics these days is: Ignore everything written by Meredith Finch (Which used to be the same rule about Ann Nocenti).

The problem with Catwoman: Election Night is not only that is out of continuity but also is a pretty poorly-written story with heavyhanded dialogue and terrible characterization. One of the worst things about it is how Finch decided to blatantly turn the Penguin into Donald Trump (Who deserves to be mocked but this "parody" is so unimaginative that is offensive and not in the way it was intended).

Some things could have worked, I liked the angle that Finch was going for, about how just because a candidate is a complete asshole, it doesn't mean that the other is perfect or that it could even be just as bad but the awful execution ruined everything good the story could have created.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Anything stopping the Penguin from running for US President and making Batman a total outlaw again?

On a serious note, I'd love to see Batman '66 elect him mayor.