Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Can someone explain how the Inhumans are not the bad guys?

I don't follow more than a couple of Marvel books, none of which feature the X-Men or Inhumans, but I did read IvX #0 and #1. After reading them I have to wonder; how does anyone not think the Inhumans are the bad guys here? Since I don't read the books maybe I am missing something and if so please set me straight.

From what I gather the Inhumans released the Terreigen Mists into the Earth's atmosphere which split into a couple of clouds which drift around the Earth. As those clouds wander the Earth the kill most of the mutants they come in contact with. In addition to killing mutants they turn the some of the world's citizens into super-powered beings. The mutants, in an effort to fight off extinction, destroy one of the clouds and the Inhumans go crazy. I realize mutants are not liked by the average citizen but most superheroes and superhero teams know better so why aren't most of them jumping to the X-Men's aid? Are they ok with mutant genocide? Are they OK with mass numbers of people being randomly mutated? Further, I can't imagine there is a single world government that is OK with the clouds randomly mutating their citizens. So why do the governments and agencies like S.H.I.E.L.D. not work against the Inhumans to destroy the clouds as well?

This story line, much like Civil War II (which I have, unfortunately, read) seems poorly thought out and executed.

Currently? 0 reason to think Inhumans aren't the bad guys.

But something silly will happen and the X-Men will wind up attacking someone like Ms. Marvel who's completely innocent and then it will go down hill from there.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

It's a very poorly executed event, as you said. Regardless of how mutants are perceived by many, I can't imagine a government in the world that would be ok with a cloud transforming random citizens while killing others. Not to mention apparently it's widely believed that M Pox is contagious according to some comics. That the Inhumans aren't getting more push back by anyone except mutants is, realistically, dumb.

SHIELD is ignoring it, the Avengers are ignoring it, everyone's ignoring it outside of the X Books. The cloud probably should've been better developed and used as the plot for Civil War instead of a silly Minority Report rip off. It would've worked if the stakes were higher for the Inhumans. As is its just a cultural and religious thing for them. I like the Inhumans, but I don't really find them the sympathetic side in this. It's just a badly conceived story.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

The blame does not and should not fall equally on each member of the Inhuman race. Maximus designed the Terrigen Bomb; Block Bolt detonated it during Infinity confronting Thanos. The average citizen of (old) Attilan knew nothing of their king's plan. The discovery that the Terrigen Mist sterilized, poisoned, or killed mutants was a later development. Discussions of culpability ran through the Inhumans and Mutants issues and relations thread.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    It's a very poorly executed event, as you said. Regardless of how mutants are perceived by many, I can't imagine a government in the world that would be ok with a cloud transforming random citizens while killing others. Not to mention apparently it's widely believed that M Pox is contagious according to some comics. That the Inhumans aren't getting more push back by anyone except mutants is, realistically, dumb.

SHIELD is ignoring it, the Avengers are ignoring it, everyone's ignoring it outside of the X Books. The cloud probably should've been better developed and used as the plot for Civil War instead of a silly Minority Report rip off. It would've worked if the stakes were higher for the Inhumans. As is its just a cultural and religious thing for them. I like the Inhumans, but I don't really find them the sympathetic side in this. It's just a badly conceived story.
    There were many things that could've and would've been a better plot for civil war ii then the one we got.... I personally would've had the entire event be focused on the vision of miles killing Steve Rogers.... And the superhuman community being split over it that would've been better but I think the terrigen m-pox crisis would've been interesting if that were the plot of civil war ii.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    The blame does not and should not fall equally on each member of the Inhuman race. Maximus designed the Terrigen Bomb; Block Bolt detonated it during Infinity confronting Thanos. The average citizen of (old) Attilan knew nothing of their king's plan. The discovery that the Terrigen Mist sterilized, poisoned, or killed mutants was a later development. Discussions of culpability ran through the Inhumans and Mutants issues and relations thread.
    The blame for the creation and detonation of the bomb may not fall on the shoulders of all Inhumans equally but how Inhumanity as a whole has reacted since does fall on the shoulders of the the individual members.

Thanks for the responses, I honestly wondered if I missed something by not reading everything leading up to the event but it doesn't seem I have. I do agree with those who said this would have been more interesting as the impetus for Civil War II that what we got.

No, I don't think literally anyone (including the people writing this event) can explain how the Inhumans keeping a cloud around (and killing those that try to destroy it) that drifts from place to place killing people aren't anything other than the badguys in this scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by mmurphy1968 View Post
    The blame for the creation and detonation of the bomb may not fall on the shoulders of all Inhumans equally but how Inhumanity as a whole has reacted since does fall on the shoulders of the the individual members.
    In that regard, it's noteworthy we haven't seen more reactions from the Inhuman diaspora that resulted from Eldrac teleporting the entire population of Attilan to wherever he feels each Inhuman should go to. Had the writers shown one Inhuman or Nuhuman who was leaning towards Terrigen Mist containment, opinions might change.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    G.I. Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I agree with that. However, the Inhumans actively oppose destroying or hindering the cloud. The fact that Black Bolt didn't know what was going to happen is beside the point now. They've made it clear they will kill to defend the cloud, even knowing the harm it causes. There does not appear to be any dissenting voices amongst the Inhuman ranks, really, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    There does not appear to be any dissenting voices amongst the Inhuman ranks, really, either.
    Which is why I made the observation above yours. We could have heard the voice of an ordinary Inhuman. Maybe one whose Terrigenesis was less than satisfactory and who therefore would have a lot more sympathy for the mutants.
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    G.I. Joe.

Yeah I think only Moon Girl and Synapse have really said anything, but it remains to be seen what role, if any, that they have in the event.

I've been surprised that the Nuhumans are seemingly 100% on board with the old guard Inhumans on this honestly. Iso, I get, as she's obviously drank the Kool Aid. But the rest, I feel like they should have some kind of internal conflict. They did not grow up in Inhuman culture, they're not indoctrinated in the religious and cultural worship of terrigen. But Flint, Inferno etc are all on board to defend the cloud. Inferno especially I could see questioning, especially since lately it just seems like Medusa uses him as her goon whenever she doesn't want to send her cabana boy Johnny on a mission.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

because Disney owned movie rights say so

Mighty Member

Synapse currently is the only Inhuman that really put her money where her mouth was as far as mutants are concerned.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

As those clouds wander the Earth the kill most of the mutants they come in contact with.
    It can't be most, really, or they'd be dead. We, humans, spread potentially-lethal diseases all over the planet, and indeed, aid in long term health hardships by traveling in airplanes, cars, etc, and yet, largely, we continue to do so. Knowing something can hurt some other people, but that it is integral to your comfortable daily life usually results in comfortable, daily life winning out. Hello, fracking!

they turn the some of the world's citizens into super-powered beings... Are they OK with mass numbers of people being randomly mutated?
    Their entire culture, society, and world is based around the assumption that people mutating is perfectly natural and normal. Beyond that, it's beneficial to an almost fatalist degree.

It's not going to seem dramatic to the average Inhuman, any more than puberty or haircuts seem to us.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Inhumans were still considered Inhumans before Randac (a past leader of the Inhumans and a gifted geneticist) discovered the Terrigen Mist, which granted future generations of the Inhumans their super-human abilities. So I'm not really sure why people argue that without the cloud they will go extinct. It's a nice little bonus, but it wasn't always part of their society. Even without the cloud, Inhumans can still reproduce. Whereas mutants are being rendered sterile by the cloud's continued existence.

There really is no legitimate argument in the Inhumans favor here.